Author Topic: Hero 5th Edition  (Read 2140 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Hero 5th Edition
« on: April 18, 2003, 09:01:14 AM »
Does anyone have this? If so is it worth buying. Iwant to do a Champions game and I was wondering if Hero 5 was as good as Hero 4.

-Jeffe
« Last Edit: April 18, 2003, 03:49:54 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
Hero 5th Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 10:59:41 AM »
Just bought it, loving it reviewing it.

More to follow.

Watch this space.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Hero 5th Edition
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 03:59:52 PM »
I don't have HERO 5, mostly because my efforts to get a review copy via Fell failed. I managed to get my hands on a HERO 4, though, and I expect they're not much different from what I've read of the update. Any noticable differences you'd care to relate?

It's too bad that I've had such a hard time getting into a HERO game. I'd like to play it again.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 04:05:49 PM »
Move to Northern Virginia, we'll play.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2003, 04:17:26 PM »
not massive differences, Some talents became skills the index was updated and sections were reorganized. The book has a sturdy hard cover and can be used as a doorstop in a pinch. The writers even admit that there wasn't much to change.  But they have constantly sought input to refine the game and perfect it.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 03:30:30 PM »
Hm. I just got around to reading the review. Only problem is, it does not actually tell me much about the system. The review outlines what transpires during character creation. But it gives no indication of why the system is worth 6 clocks.
It is well written, don't get me wrong, but i prefer to know solid details about a system.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 08:59:37 AM »
Just about everything is handled by a roll 3d6 and roll under a target number. I'll get more specific tomorrow though because I have to get thebook back from a friend to give you all the specifics. I gave it six out of six because the rules while not massively innovative are solid and easy to use. In addition they are so well organized that a GM or a player will never be at a loss when a specific rules question comes up. I really can't stress the completeness of the Index enough.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 10:52:22 AM »
Spent most of yesterday in meetings at work (im an AV guy) and had nothing to do but read Hero.  I really like how powers can be linked to the same framework for a reduced cost. For example I made my  GRAVITY CONTROL Power framework for 137 points instead of 237 points because all the powers are linked and vulnerable to a special type of attack (in this case Gamma Radiation) There are two other types of frameworks that work just as well. The most intriguing is the variable power framework where you can change your powers from game to game (within reason)                

My first NPC Superhero team (The magnficent X-Battalion) is progressing nicely With two heros already done. Havoc a martial artist, and Gravvit (my gravity warping hero) look good and have a nice assortment of powers. I also have 3  on the way; Chronogirl ( a micro/time teleporter) The Fractal Queen (An illusionist type) and Agent Proton (a Brick in a powersuit)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003, 11:04:50 AM by ElJeffe »