Author Topic: Pocket Universe a successor to TWERPS?  (Read 1650 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Pocket Universe a successor to TWERPS?
« on: June 09, 2003, 09:27:21 AM »
http://www.io.com/unigames/pu/pu_stuff.html

Eric and I once had a game

It was called Twerps and it was good.
one stat roleplaying right out of the book with only a couple of pages of rules.
Twerps was the Original Beer and Pretzel Roleplaying game....

Reindeer Games the company that made twerps died about ten years ago and while you can still find the occasional twerps book, I dont hold my breath.

Now the creator of twerps has created a new game, also light on rules and heavy on fun.

Its called pocket Universe
Its 5.00
its small!!!
its fun

Im ordering it today.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Pocket Universe a successor to TWERPS?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 11:41:34 AM »
The TWERPS game was bought by GDW. Who never did anything with it.

Jim Dee told me he was working on a new game. But that was many months ago. He also didn't have a spare copy of the basic TWERPS rules to sell me, which is the only book I can't seem to find.

I'll probably get aroudn to this book too.

For mroe information on TWERPS you can read my article on the subject.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 12:44:52 PM »
GDW never did anything with it because they went teats up.

I saw pocket universe in the Wizards store.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 12:45:43 PM by ElJeffe »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 11:31:25 PM »
Yes, but first they did nothing with TWERPS. Which makes me hates them.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 12:21:13 AM »
I dont hate em, they got screwed in the great trading card wars and lost everything... they had to drop a lot of lines before they went under, even ones they wanted to develop.... its a shame really GDW had some kickin games....

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 02:02:53 AM »
I had every single TWERPS product, even those that came out in severely limited release.  I even actually made TWERPS: MK II in which I added a few more attributes and consolidated all the skill and ability lists from the myriad supplements into a single master list while adding some more cool stuff of my own (like a slightly more effective system for martial arts).  I added as little as possible, just enough to make it a more viable game.  We spent four weeks playing a pulp-era super hero game using my version of TWERPS and it kicked serious butt.

Oh, and I will now be looking for Pocket Universe.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 09:22:39 AM »
yam, Eric and I liked us some twerps.
The beauty of the system was that it wasn't complicated like D&D but it was a solid game and easy to play. So it could be quite entertaining.

I use like D&D because that was the game in those days.

I remember a space twerps with a star trek (classic and TNG stylings) and a kung fu twerps...

Wasn't there a super Twerps too?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 10:09:37 AM »
.. and cyber TWERPS, and TWERPS magic, etc.

I actually found it more fair to tripple the complexity and separate the three uses for the one stat. Still very simple, but more playable. I have every supplement I've ever seen, but I'm not sure that's all of them. Still got that list, Slant? I'd love to have it.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 10:18:04 AM »
and for professional... erm reviewing purposes could you scan them and email them to us? :)

JK

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2003, 02:30:46 AM »
Actually I think my favorite title was "Metaphysical Mutant Chainsaw Ninja Vitamin Junkies" which was the Mad Max style supplement.

I'll see if I can dig up the list.  In the meantime, I'll briefly tell you how I revamped the system.

There were four attributes: Mind (brainpower and memory), Body (strength, speed, agility, etc), Heart (charm, leadership, physical attractiveness), and Soul (willpower and inner strength).  Each attribute was rolled for randomly as per the basic TWERPS rules.  

Then, each character got five picks from the skill list.  Each pick gave +1 to a skill, with no starting character having any one  skill over +2. Skills went from +1 to the almost unheard of +6, with scores over +4 being very very hard to develop.  

In addition, a character might want to spend a point on an Extra.  Extras, unlike normal skills, have no level.  The character either has them or he doesn't.  Some examples of extras are thing like Berzerk, Telepathy, or Cybernetics.

For example, let's say we were creating a character for a barbarian world style game.  We get M:4, B:7, H:2, S:6.  We obviously have somebody who is very physically capable and who has a strong survival instinct, but at the same time is not a real people person and is probably as pretty as dog poop.  Since combat and survival skills will be very important, we give him the Sword skill at +2 and the Survival skill at +1.  We also give him the Intimidate skill at +1, which will be based off his Body score rather than his Heart score.  Finally, we want him to be able to enter a frenzy like a pit bull with hemerrhoids, so we give him the Extra ability of Berzerk.  A fully fleshed out TWERPS character in less than 30 seconds!
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly