Author Topic: Nobilis...  (Read 1388 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Nobilis...
« on: August 25, 2003, 05:12:18 PM »
Borgstrom is a she. She. Rebecca is not a male name.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Nobilis...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 05:42:38 PM »
The cover simply says "R"
Deal with it.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 07:56:59 PM »
I'll edit the review to change R. Borgstrom's gender. Remind me tomorrow if I haven't done it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 08:12:40 PM »
I'm a big fan of reviews.  I read them here, there, everywhere, and I enjoy to see what other people got out of different games.  I've read a lot of revies of Nobilis...both fanboy raves and system hating rants.

This review does a good job of encompassing both sides, I must say.

There's just one thing I was disappointed in...the depth. Saint, you touch on a lot of important topics and then breeze over it. If I didn't know what the game was like already I would have left the review feeling a bit empty.

For example, we know the characters are divine...but what do they do?  What conflicts exist?  What's the theme of the game?  What are some of the details of hte world?  Just what are the characters capable of?

You whet the apetite with this review, but never deliver the meal.

Now, I'm by no means the god-king of reviewers, but I just thought I'd point this out.  I've enjoyed all your other reviews, Saint, and this one has a lot of potential but ultimately never delivers a real punch.

I mean no offense by such a critique, but just wanted you to be aware in future reviews.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 08:21:35 PM »
No worries. I'm far from offended.

I suppose I felt that I should have gone more in depth there as well, Mr. P. Partially, I wanted to remain vague because that annoyed me about Borgstrom's writing. However, you are right, that didn't make for a good review, and I SHOULD have talked more about the main ideas that she really did discuss. Maybe I'll compose an amendment and ask Fell kindly to insert it.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 08:27:01 PM »
lol, I know how it goes, SE.

It's always hard to cover the details in the review of  a game you don't like.  

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 09:58:10 PM »
A few things.

First off, stop being a snarky arse Saint.  Your last few posts to me have tended towards that and i'm not going to stand for it.

In less inflamable news, i agree wholeheartedly with you on the book itself - its hugely cumbersome to read, and a pain to carry around. As someone on the mailing list said, 'It blows me away that nobody at Hogshead ever considered that people might actually want to carry the book to sessions.' The interior art is mediocre as well. The layout - well, its bad, even for the RPG industry. But i adore the little quotes in the margins.

Thats all i have to say right now, amazingly enough.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 10:42:37 PM »
First off, stop being a snarky arse Saint.  Your last few posts to me have tended towards that and i'm not going to stand for it

I'm really tempted to respond to this snidely... but I'll over look it. If being a little glib to a nit picking detail is being a "snarky arse," than snarky arse I am.