Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Rifts
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2003, 08:59:53 PM »
Let me expand on my comment.

Mage: the Ascension is a game with many elements. The PCs come from 13 factions, some of whom are space faring super scientists, others martial artists, others fanatical christian priests, others pagan druids and some hindu death cultists. This is a wide scope, and the game material has to cover all the varied angles, plus those of their enemies. Plus the spirit world, space, and the modern world from the perspective of people who mess around with reality.

It integrates the divide between the PCs as one of the games themes, as a dividing conflict generator. How do a martial artist, a druid and a internet hacker go about solving a problem together?

It gives the game another interesting factor to explore, but frankly it leaves the game material trying to cover too many bases and failing. I own 9 books for the line: the core book, the two books covering the PCs and their (possible PC) opponents, and the two GM books as well as 4 books covering the PC factions. I could not tell you anything about the spirit world, space, little about how the modern day looks from a magic users eyes, and how many factions act. Those all require many more books to know. Feh. The game covers too many bases, and thus takes far more words to convey its various parts. I love the game, but i would hate to GM it since the game positively requires a lot of time spent exploring the characters beliefs and internal motivations,  but gives
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch