Author Topic: Saveged World vs Exalted  (Read 2423 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Saveged World vs Exalted
« on: September 08, 2003, 04:54:06 PM »
I went to my local game store (dragons keep) to pick up a new PFRPG book, all they had were ones I owen.  So I looked for both of these, but they were out.  Long story short they've reordered them and are getting them in thursday or friday and are holding both of them for me through saturday.  I've been intriested in Exalted since Kid did reviews of it for it's setting.  And Saveged World since talking to Mr.P for the easy to use, fast rule system.  In an ideal world I could buy both, but unless my paycheck is way more then normal I can only get one.  So which one?

note: it was scarry when I walked into the store all the geeks were talking about the NFL.  I thought I was in the Twilight Zone, the I realised they were talking about if Fantasy Football.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Saveged World vs Exalted
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 05:08:35 PM »
I think I'd go with Exalted as my recommendation (having played neither). Because Exalted once interested me in the store. Whereas the multidice skill with savage worlds puts me off. Don't they also use chips and cards? too many number generators

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2003, 05:17:39 PM »
I think deadlands use chips and cards, not saveged world
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2003, 05:21:58 PM »
then it'd be a lot easier for me to swallow. But again, I'm just sounding off about games I haven't played.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2003, 05:24:38 PM »
If the choice is between those two, I would definitely pick Savage Worlds.  I have played neither, but Exhalted just seems to be yet another fantasy world, only one that involves the pointless Caste/Clan system that White Wolf feels it needs to tack on to everything that it does.  Savage Worlds sounds like a fun, universal system that has an emphasis on cinematic role-playing as opposed to number crunching.  
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 07:59:44 PM »
First, it is Deadlands that uses cards, dice, and chips and it does so with a very innovative system. It is my favorite game and anybody here who slights it should come to St. Louis and let me show them just how great a game it is, through and through.  I'll run you a one shot you'll never forget!  :)

On the topic at hand, I'll add my two cents as I enjoy both game.

If you're looking for a cinematic system that plays ultra fast, is easy to customize, and requires the least GM prep time I've ever seen in a game, go with Savage Worlds.  Read my review on it here.  Download the demo rules, see if you like it.  The one downside is that for $30 you're getting a pretty thin book overall.  Still, it's my second favorite game system of all time.

Exalted, is just the opposite of SW: a slower, more detailed rule system, meant to emulate a particular mood.  And what a grand mood it is... classic greek heroes with Final Fantasy and Anime influence.  A great setting that just screams plot idea at you and one in which there is no metaplot.  In fact, the designer himself has said "In Exalted, the PCs are the metaplot"   Exalted is epic done right and is something amazing to behold.  Still it has its downsides:  probably the game with the most GM prep time I've seen and a horribly slow system.  Still is great fun though...particularly stunts.  Not to keen on the anime names for Charms though....too DBZ for me.   Also, you'll get a lot more for your dollar with Exalted as the book is HUGE.

So... cinematic, fast play that is extremely adaptable and easily works with most any genre:  Savage Worlds.   Epic, cinematic, my-hero-just-took-out-one-hundred-bandits-in-two-rounds, with a system that's slower than molasses:  Exalted.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 08:02:09 PM »
OK OK! I apologize! I *did* say i was talking out my butt when I said what I said.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003, 08:30:46 PM »
 ;)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 11:34:21 PM »
Well I bought both, why?  Because I can!!!!!!  Anyway I was shocked at the size of the Savage World book, if it wasn't so highly recomened I would never have bought that small of a book for that price.  It's $30 and about 1/2 the size of the D&D Players handbook.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2003, 01:14:33 AM »
Yup, that it is.  Don't say I didn't warn you though.  It was mentioned here and in my review on site.  I'd recommend reading SW first too, as it takes some time to plow through Exalted.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2003, 02:56:50 AM »
Still its charm is in its simplicity
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2003, 10:18:57 AM »
Simplicity?  Are you referring to Exalted or SW.  I must assume Savage Worlds as Exalted is a lot of things, but its not simple.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2003, 02:42:16 PM »
Then you assume correctly, though Exalted is simple as well, compared to Hackmaster or Rolemaster.

Savage worlds is well, in a word easy enough that an 8 year old could learn it.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2003, 03:05:07 PM »
erm.... I had most AD&D rules memorized at age 8, I'm sure I could have handled Hackmaster. So,... are they simple, or am I just exceptionally bright?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2003, 03:07:26 PM »
You my friend are a savant...

But I will rephrase an 8 year old could learn the rules in 8 minutes.