Author Topic: Jobs and stuff  (Read 53935 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs and stuff
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2008, 05:37:57 AM »
Yeah, I saw that...
So how's the job hunting going?  Finding anythign decent?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2008, 07:26:33 AM »
No. Though Karen's uncle, who's a judge in Arizona, seems to think editing skills would make me a good probation officer for some reason. (???)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:46:45 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »
No. Though Karen's uncle, who's a judge in Arizona, seems to think editing skills would make me a probation officer for some reason. (???)
HAHA!  That's really funny.  I don't understand his logic at all.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2008, 09:46:15 PM »
it funny, not until reading this thread did i understand the type of comunity i was involved in. most people who post appear to be well educated with degrees and here i am some mechanic in the south of boston fixing peoples cars.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2008, 12:01:55 AM »
Hey don't knock what you do.  I may be a Software Engineer but I have no idea how to do anything outside of basic maintenance with my car.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2008, 04:42:46 AM »
it funny, not until reading this thread did i understand the type of comunity i was involved in. most people who post appear to be well educated with degrees and here i am some mechanic in the south of boston fixing peoples cars.
I LOVE going to Boston shopping. haha.

Too bad I'm getting ready to go back to Idaho.

>.<

I'll miss the shopping.

Oh and Spriggan sweet!  I want to do computational linguistics so like I'll be doing a lot with software. lol
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »
I agree with Spriggan, especially when it comes to newer model automobiles.  It takes a lot more training and skill to work on cars today than it did 30 years ago, and I couldn't fix one of those, either.  :) 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2008, 10:40:51 PM »
In case people don't know, Blizzard is currently hiring a copyeditor at their Irvine location.  They want 3 years editing experience, though.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2008, 03:39:38 PM »
OK, here's a job that might interest some of you at Del Rey (Random House) in their Manga division.

Editorial Assistant - Del Rey Manga
Entry-Level, Full Time, -, Administrative / Clerical, Editorial Department
Random House U.S.A, New York, New YorkID: 206177

Introducing ourselves
Random House, Inc. is the world's largest general trade book publisher. It is a division of Bertelsmann AG, one of the foremost media companies in the world.

Job duties

Del Rey seeks an Editorial Assistant for its manga and licensed properties (movie, video game, and TV tie-in) publishing program. The assistant will report to the program’s Associate Publisher.

Reponsibilities include:

Overseeing the process of preparing Japanese manga releases for U.S. publication, from trafficking materials and preparing manuscripts for production to handling licensor approvals and permissions
Clerical tasks, including filing, preparing mailings, record-keeping, and processing invoices
Managing schedules of freelance translation staff
Reading and evaluating submissions
Helping to create editorial materials, including cover copy, catalogue copy, and title information sheets
Maintaining department library
Special projects as required

Job requirements

Candidate must be exceptionally well-organized, with an eye for detail and a strong ability to handle many projects at once
Candidate must be at ease working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
An interest in manga, comics, video games, and genre fiction is strongly preferred
Japanese language skills, and a knowledge of Japanese culture, are preferred but not required
Experience in the publishing industry in US or Japan is preferred; internship and entertainment/video game industry experience will also be considered
Candidate should be comfortable on both Mac and PC
College degree or equivalent work experience

Thank you for your interest in Random House. Random House is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

Submit application to
Please apply using our online application process.

For more information, please visit our Web Site:
http://careers.randomhouse.com
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »
If only that weren't an entry-level position with an entry-level salary.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind when I posted it 'cuz I know you're still looking and Manga is your specialty. Sorry. :(

Then again, maybe they would find you too good to pass up and create a higher-paid position for ya? A longshot, I know. But I've heard of it happening.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2008, 10:53:06 PM »
I'll think about it...

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »
*sigh* Searching for a job here....

If anyone knows of a good Cartographer/GIS position in the government...let me know :)

Back to searching.... (Searching stinks)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2008, 07:49:29 PM »
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind when I posted it 'cuz I know you're still looking and Manga is your specialty. Sorry. :(

Then again, maybe they would find you too good to pass up and create a higher-paid position for ya? A longshot, I know. But I've heard of it happening.

Highly unlikely in NYC, where people in publishing are a dime a dozen. This is why publishing can get away with paying people so much less in such an expensive city.

Also, Shrain, what do you mean by:

I have a potential job offer that would pay less than I make now *and* it's in a more expensive city--Boston.

Um, you live in Boston (the Boston area, I mean). I'm confused. And if you mean that Boston is more expensive than NYC: actually, NYC ranks as more expensive, so that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'll be in NYC next week interviewing at as many publishers as possible, myself, while I look for a new job. The freelancing is good, but it's tapering off, and it's time to start the long process of a real job hunt.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Emillith

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Joyful Light of the Stargarden
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2008, 11:46:35 PM »
*sigh* Searching for a job here....

If anyone knows of a good Cartographer/GIS position in the government...let me know :)

Back to searching.... (Searching stinks)

I saw an opening for one recently for the state of GA...