Author Topic: Jobs and stuff  (Read 53925 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Jobs and stuff
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2007, 11:29:45 PM »
Wizard's is currently hiring for several positions that I know some people here are qualified for, this is part of their new push into games on the web or via the web.

Rules- Developer – Digital Games: This position is responsible for the development of new and existing game rules and mechanics for Digital games under development. In addition, this position’s secondary purposes include the rules and mechanics maintenance of existing digital games, design of mechanics for existing games, playtesting and R&D team coordination.

writing- Creative Designer – Digital Games: The Creative Designer in the Digital Games group is responsible for the development of concepts, names, and flavor text for Digital games under development.

In this position you would be responsible for sourcing and coordinating a team of internal and external writers to produce creative text for cards, packaging, inserts, and assorted other purposes. In addition, the Creative Designer contributes to world-building and Intellectual Property (IP) development for Digital games.

Web- Senior Developer - Web: Web page creation, vision, templates and co-ordination of web technology across sites.

Utilizing a thorough knowledge of programming and server software operations, the Senior Web Developer supervises the Web development team in producing client-side visual and textual web page scripting using JavaScript and server-side scripting with VBScript for Active Server Pages in conjunction with XML/XSLT designed to enhance user appeal and utility as well as the site’s overall functionality.

Programming- Software Developer - Prototyping:
The Software Developer is to design and implement early stage game software for the Win32 and Linux platforms.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 11:31:53 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2007, 03:00:07 AM »
I didn't realize these had been posted. I was waiting to tell you guys until I'd heard it was public knowledge. As always, if you know me in person, talk to me if you're interested in any of these positions.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2007, 02:25:34 AM »
It seems very likely that TOKYOPOP will be needing a new copy editor very soon. It would be very nice to have someone with some experience such as at TLE. Enthusiasm for manga and anime would be a plus, but it's probably more important this time around to get someone who knows their grammar and punctuation, with a good eye for visual detail.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2007, 05:18:38 PM »
Google's looking for a copywriter, http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=63603:

UI Copywriter - Mountain View

This position is based in Mountain View, CA.

Do you believe that great interfaces are written? Do you understand the relationship between written language and interface design? Do you have experience writing for user interfaces and want to affect how millions of people use the Internet every day? If so, we want to talk to you! Google is looking for a UI Copywriter to join the User Experience group. The successful candidate will be responsible for creating and maintaining interface text and instructional copy that is consistent, clear, compelling, and on-brand.

Responsibilities:

Develop naming conventions, instructional copy, and other interface textual elements.
Know Google's product offering and projects under development to provide context for products and services you will write about.
Work with design and development teams to translate requirements and business goals into messages, site navigation, labels, and content organization for the user interface.
Work with project teams to plan and execute deliverables. Write information deliverables (instructional copy, error messages, and interface text) relevant to each project.
Proactively seek out opportunities for improved customer education on the site.
Edit site messaging and help as necessary to reduce sources of confusion and customer complaints.
Work with QA to resolve bugs related to instructional copy, error messages, UI text, or site help.
Requirements:
Excellent communication skills, as you will be working with Interaction Designers, Visual Designers, User Experience Researchers, Engineers, Technical Writers, and Product Managers.
Able to work with minimal supervision on multiple concurrent projects.

Also, other technical type writing positions: http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/search.py?lr=lang_en&type=f&query=write
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:20:53 PM by Tink »

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2007, 05:29:13 PM »
They also have a Senior Editor position, http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=56971&query=edit&topic=&type=edit:

Senior Online Editor - Mountain View

This position is based in Mountain View, CA.

The Editorial Team researches, creates, edits and manages a large portion of Google's customer-facing content. We're looking for flexible, creative, motivated writers who can work independently and, more importantly, as part of a growing team.

To succeed in this role you must fully understand and articulate the values of Google and Google products. You must also confidently manage a variety of interests as you interact with a wide range of project teams within Google.

The range and deadlines of your assignments will vary greatly; however, you should be able to produce informative, accurate and lively content in a timely fashion, often at a moment's notice. The role demands extreme discipline, hard work and diligence. In return, you'll receive enormous satisfaction as a key member of a dynamic team.

Because your success as a member of this team depends on your knowledge of the products we support, we strongly recommend that you review both our consumer products (Google Maps, Google News, Gmail, etc.) and our advertising products (AdWords and AdSense).

Responsibilities:

Write and/or edit copy, including website help content, user interface (UI) messaging and other instructional pieces.
Work collaboratively within a cross-functional team environment to analyze, create and maintain messaging in a timely and consistent manner.
Support a variety of teams across the company.
Ensure that our customers have positive interactions with Google.
Requirements:
B.A. (M.A. preferred), ideally in English, Journalism, Communications or related field.
5+ years of relevant experience (such as technical writing, product documentation, or online publishing) if degree is not in a writing-related field.
Portfolio of diverse writing projects.
Marketing and technical writing.
Excellent communication skills and sharp attention to detail.
Ability to compose all types of writing for various audiences while meeting aggressive deadlines.
Proven teamwork skills and flexibility.
Strong sense of customer service.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2007, 05:40:57 AM »
My company is hiring a multimedia designer--or something along those lines, there's really no title for it. We need someone with pretty good artistic and technical skills to help both our company and our owner's side company creating multimedia broadcasts with a powerpointish program called InfoChannel. No web or programming skills are required. This could be full or part time, depending on what you need, and if full time will probably pay around 35k. It's a very good entry-level job if you want to get into design or marketing, so tell everyone you know.

Contact me for more details.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2007, 09:50:19 PM »
TOKYOPOP is hiring one or more new copy editors and junior editors, local to Los Angeles. Come hang out with me!

http://www.mediabistro.com/TOKYOPOP-Inc-jobs.html

I can pass on resumes.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2007, 11:38:14 PM »
Don't torture me like that! I still have two more years to finish my MA.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2007, 04:31:38 PM »
We have internships too, for those who have not yet graduated. They're highly recommended. (But unpaid.)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2007, 05:21:12 PM »
I guess I should mention that my contract with my current job is ending. They're looking for someone to replace me. So if you want to work with teaching children how to read and be part of a research project at BYU, let me know. The job is full-time for 1 year, you recieve a living allowance and benefits, plus you recieve an education award at the end of your year contract.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2008, 06:23:31 PM »
Hey, Ookla,
I don't know if you've found a new job yet or not. But I came across something in CA that looks like it might suit you.

Copy Editor - VIZ Media. Anime/Manga Co. in SF

http://www.mediabistro.com/joblistings/jobview.asp?joid=80636&page=1

Publication or Company  VIZ Media, LLC
Industry  Book Publishing, Magazine Publishing
Benefits 401K/403B, Dental, Flexible Hours, Health
Job Duration Full Time
Job Location San Francisco, CA USA
Job Requirements We are looking for a Copy Editor to join our Editorial team!

SUMMARY
The Copy Editor is responsible for editing copy that appears in VIZ Media magazines, graphic novels, trade books, catalog's, and promotional materials for errors of grammar, spelling, punctuation, clarity, accuracy, and completeness. The Copy Editor is also responsible for implementing the guidelines for the overall quality standards of the graphic novels. The Copy Editor implements style, edits copy for clarity, and ensures its accuracy.

PRINCIPAL DUTIES
1. Copy edits lettered pages of graphic novels
2. Proofreads internal layouts of covers and miscellaneous text for graphic novels
3. Proofs bluelines and color proofs
4. Checks for consistency in design, including elements such as page sequence, logos, barcodes, pricing, et al.
5. Copy edits other assigned text for accuracy and clarity
6. Implements house style, adhering to Chicago Manual of Style guidelines (& AP where applicable)
7. Works closely with Copy Chief to identify problems and solutions
8. Maintains Copy Desk library

In addition to these typical responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned.

MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
• Keen proofreading eye
• Excellent English language skills, including knowledge of grammar and style
• Professional experience with standard style guides, such as Chicago Manual of Style or The Associated Press Stylebook
• Ability to prioritize projects
• Excellent communication skills
• Resourceful, creative problem solver, critical thinker
• Team player, able to facilitate ambiguity
• High energy, results oriented and detail oriented
• Ability to interact with culturally diverse clients, service providers and staff.
• Ability to work legally in the United States.
• Ability to live in/commute to the SF Bay Area.

MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND EDUCATION
• 2-3 years of copy editing experience, preferably in a publishing environment
• Equivalent of Bachelor's Degree in English, Journalism, Creative Writing, Comparative Literature, Communications, or related fields from an accredited college or university, or equivalent, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position.

SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
This position does not supervise others.

WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
This positions works predominantly in an office environment. Approximately 80% of time spent on the job involves use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices. Must be able to use standard office equipment such as copiers, faxes, mailing machinery.

As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.

OTHER INFORMATION
Employees must adhere to all applicable VIZ Media policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights, on an as-needed basis, is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands.

TO APPLY
Please send your detailed cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Please specify “Copy Editor” when applying.

By e-mail (NO ATTACHMENTS!!!) to [email protected]
NO PHONE CALLS!!!

About Our Company COMPANY/PRODUCTS
Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media) is one of the most comprehensive and innovative companies in the field of manga (graphic novel) publishing, animation and entertainment licensing of Japanese content. Owned by three of Japan’s largest creators and licensors of manga and animation, Shueisha Inc., Shogakukan Inc., and Shogakukan-Shueisha Productions, Co., Ltd. (ShoPro Japan), VIZ Media is a leader in the publishing and distribution of Japanese manga for English speaking audiences in North America, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa and is a global ex-Asia licensor of Japanese manga and animation.
The company offers an integrated product line including magazines such as SHONEN JUMP and SHOJO BEAT, graphic novels, and DVDs, and develops, markets, licenses, and distributes animated entertainment for audiences and consumers of all ages.

VIZ MEDIA OFFERS
A competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including:
• Health (including chiropractic/acupuncture), Dental, and Vision insurances
• Life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance
• 401(k) plan
• Paid personal time off (PTO) — 17 days per year to start!
• Paid holidays — average 13 days/year
• Partially paid commuting costs
• Partially paid gym membership
• Flex-time
• Full-time casual dress policy

Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2008, 07:08:18 PM »
That's what I did already for three years at TOKYOPOP before being promoted, so it would be a step back. But if they would pay me enough, I would do it.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I have a potential job offer that would pay less than I make now *and* it's in a more expensive city--Boston.

Check your PMs. :)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2008, 02:51:12 AM »

graphic novels, trade books, catalog's

Snicker.
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2008, 05:20:41 AM »
Yeah, I saw that...