Author Topic: Jobs and stuff  (Read 53921 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs and stuff
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 07:43:57 PM »
I can one up that. We had a guy who was running around seven ads for his mortuary company. He was a real pain to work with, having something to complain about with every decision made by the designers. It came down to the day before the book went to press and we were missing a graphic for one of his smaller ads. He kept saying that he sent us the graphic already and that he wouldn't send it to us again. Anyways, we could tell this was going to be a write-off. So we decided to just put any graphic in so that we could at least say he got everything he paid for, even if he didn't like it. The final version of the mortuary ad featured a "skull and crossbones" pic.

Anyways, to keep this thread on topic. The Best Western Cottontree in Provo is looking for a weekend front desk clerk. It's a good student job, but not a good company to stick with long term. Course, it is how EOUL made his start.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2006, 07:56:33 PM »
hahahahaha. Yeah, that's a creative art choice.

And about the hotel job... Do you mean if we work there we too can write awesome fantasy novels and a big publisher will buy them, and we will have people fighting over our first 50 signed copies? Where oh where do I send my resume?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 07:56:54 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 08:24:20 PM »
Well, muses live in the swimming pools and fireplace at the hotel. They come out at night to inspire artistic types, but don't tell anyone.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2006, 11:13:07 AM »
Ah ha. I knew it!

Any chance those muses might want to relocate to Boston? Hey, we've got an *ocean* out here, forget measly pools. ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 11:13:22 AM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2006, 01:10:31 PM »
The graphic designer position is closed, I made a note of that since I had been getting e-mails about it, apparently at my job they only interview one person for a job and the decided who they were going to hire on day two, despite the fact they got about 20 applications for it.  I guess I shouldn't complain, that's how I got my job here.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
Wizards is looking for an events intern.

POSITION:       Intern - Events Team

TEAM:              Events Team; Organized Play

REPORTS TO:  Events, Manager

FLSA:               Non-Exempt

KEY RELATIONSHIPS

Supervises: This position does not supervise anyone.

Other Key Relationships: All OP-events positions, all OP, brand, R&D, Sales, On-line media, Wotc N facilities, etc.

JOB DUTIES

Essential Functions / Major Responsibilities:

Observe all stages of event management from both tournament side and conventions side

Assist in all aspects of event management

Take on short-term responsibilities for projects, as appropriate

TRAVEL to approximately 2 events per month. Responsibilities at each show will vary. A full range of event experience will be available, depending on the aptitude of intern.

Tasks like:            

Hotel lists

Travel reservations

Pre Con notes

Event request sheets from decorators

Shipping and Drayage

Event budgeting and accounting

Opening POs, processing contracts

Filing and managing paper and electronic information

Assistant show manager on-site

Packing, ordering, unpacking, organizing, etc. product and event materials

Post-show reports and wrap-ups

Secondary Functions:

Observe other show managers

QUALIFICATIONS

At least 21years of age

Organized

Good under pressure

Quick learner

Independent worker

Eager to get as much event experience as possible in 3 months!

Willing to travel!

Must be able to lift 40 lbs and work on your feet for 10+ hours per day on show site

Education and Training:
Completed at least 3 years of college or university

Strong interest in managing events

Majors like: Business marketing, Event marketing, Theatre, Communications, Travel and Restaurant industry, etc.

No training needed

Prior Related Experience:
Some experience in event management, at least 1 event or production or festival or sampling.

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Familiar with computer programs; Word, Excel, Office, Outlook, Abode illustrator/photo shop

Time Expected to Reach Full Performance Level in Position
None. We will use the position as is for the full 3 months.

We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.

The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position

Apply online at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=aboutus/jobs
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:54:19 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 06:32:41 PM »
Hey 42, check this out:

The ZeStuff team is looking for a web graphic designer. That person will be the lead designer for ZeStuff.com and will be in charge of redesigning the website, doing the day to day changes to the site layout, creating new advertising media and other graphic related work that is related to ZeStuff.

If graphic design is your thing, please check out the complete job offer at the ZeStuff blog. We'd love to hear from you!

http://blog.zestuff.com/2006/07/19/job-opening-at-zestuff/
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2006, 02:49:33 AM »
I just saw this on another site I'm on. I thought of OldieLocks especially.

http://www.imaginelearning.com/

Full-time, salaried, benefits. The starting salary for this position is negotiable, depending on experience.

Function:
• Create and maintain manuals, release notes, quick reference guides, and installation guides for
company products
• Design, write, format, edit, and proofread documents for online and hardcopy delivery
• Assist with proposals and presentations

Required Skills and Qualifications:
• Minimum BA or BS Degree in Technical Writing, or related field with technical writing experience
• Experience creating deliverables for audiences ranging from novice to highly technical
• Strong planning, research, writing, and editing skills
• Ability to quickly produce publication-quality written material that conforms to company’s writing style
guidelines
• Experience with Microsoft Office
• Comfortable consulting with a variety of personalities, such as designers, developers, artists, and
audio/visual technicians
• Excellent time management, problem-solving, analytical/critical thinking, and organization skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Self-motivation and discipline
• Honesty, reliability, punctuality

Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
• 2 years software documentation and/or technical writing experience
• In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office products
• Knowledge of at least one professional publishing program (InDesign, Quark, FrameMaker, etc.)
• Experience with graphics tools, such as Visio and Paint Shop Pro
• Proficiency in page layout and design principles
To perform well in this position you must be organized and detail-oriented and you must be able to
present information in a clear, compelling way. You must have strong grammar skills. You must be a fast,
independent worker who can produce quality publications and can effectively manage your workload with minimal supervision.

Go to the website to learn more about the company, to contact them and/or submit a resume. Feel free to contact me with any questions, I am a software tester for this company. They are a great organization with a great product.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2006, 12:27:17 PM »
Stacer, why do you torture me so?  :)

I definately qualify, and they're based in Provo, so it would mean no more commute. But I'm going back to school for a MA (for reasons I still don't quite understand).

*sigh*

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2006, 03:24:15 PM »
I just thought I'd let you know in case it worked in with your school plans.

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2006, 09:36:22 PM »
Imagine Learning is a spin-off from the animation company that I used to work for.  The people I know who went to Imagine seem to be very happy with the company and with the work that they're doing.

In addition to that, some of the best artists in Utah work there.  Although that really doesn't have much sway on a Tech Writing position.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 09:37:11 PM by CtrlZed »

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 12:47:22 PM »
In other words, it's a great job working for a great company.

Great.  :P

Well, since I'm leaving here, there's an opening for a entry-level technical writer:
Decent pay (probably around 24k to start).
Paid holidays, good benefits, and interesting work (at least, I find it fascinating).
No previous experience in technical writing is required, and they train you. 'Cause, you know, it's entry-level. But you do need to be able to learn fast--if you don't have experience with networking and computers, it's a very steep learning curve for the first little while.
You need to know your way around Word and PowerPoint, and be able to write a coherent paragraph.
I think they want some kind of bachelor's degree as well, but considering they took me, it probably doesn't matter what the degree is in.
Editing experience is a plus.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll give you the details on how to apply (and hints about how to get hired :D).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:56:31 PM by Old_One »

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2006, 11:30:51 PM »
Someone told my wife that I would get a job if I would just write it down.

My wife responsed that: "Isn't all that student debt writing it down."
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2006, 02:14:48 PM »
Today mark one year since I was last employed.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Oops.  Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 12:24:02 AM »
Gee, is the cottontree still hiring?
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.