Author Topic: ICE is coming out with a new game this month  (Read 2094 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: ICE is coming out with a new game this month
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2003, 10:51:21 AM »
I do work today. And tomorrow, and uh... on Christmas I'm busy... in fact, I don't htink you'll be able to pick it up till next week (and I'm done reading it)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: ICE is coming out with a new game this month
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2003, 11:40:02 PM »
I'm done reading it.

I don't think I like it

two biggest (and only significant) reasons:

You build characters with Development Points, which is fine. The number of DPs you get is determined by your attribute scores, however, which may skew things a bit, but nto much, until 10 levels down the road, because at each level advancement you get the same points as you did originally. If you choose random determined attributes, someone could have tons fewer points in the end. These points buy all skills (including combat), spells, and talents, so they are VERY important. I found this icky. The way around it is to have a fixed number of points, but still, the broken rule exists potentially.

problem 2: too much conversion. You never just roll and compare. In fact, you almost never roll and add a simple modifier and compare. Usually, you take your skill ranks, refer to a chart to figure out what the bonus for that rank is (usually a much higher number than the ranks you have) -- unless it's endurance, in which case you're up for a lot of math, since each race scales differently as to how much a bonus they get for the number of ranks -- then figure in modifiers, which could come from as many different sources as in d20 (in fact, reading their descriptions of modifier sources, particularly in combat, is VERY much like readin the D&D 3.*ed rules for how to run combat), then either roll a second number in the same way, or roll another number with a bonus figured from the first number, or refer to yet ANOTHER chart that details what target number you need to roll against.

Yes, that's the simplified version. This system was supposed to be fast and easy. Sure it'll adjust well to different settings (well, better than d20 does without major tweaking), but the system itself is only slightly less technical than a GURPS wrestling match.

I don't think I like how combat works either, with the offensive v. defensive bonuses. Seems like, on the whole, the DB is rarely significantly higher than the OB, and any positive result on a combat roll (the above mentioned process, only usually without a second roll: instead you add your offensive bonus, then subtract the opponents defensive bonus) results in a hit, which is always called a critical. Erg... better name for a normal hit which does 2 pts of damage, please. This, complaint however, may be the result of not seeing it clear enough. I'd have to play a combat to see how often positive results come up on that roll, but it seems like a LOT.

Anyway, Jeffe, any time you stop by, i've got it for you. But I really am pretty busy tomorrow (Christmas). Friday looks wide open though.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 11:41:29 PM by SaintEhlers »