Author Topic: My  Next Campaign  (Read 1539 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
My  Next Campaign
« on: January 13, 2004, 08:17:57 PM »
So I’m planning on starting a D20 Modern campaign about mid February. And I would like some help with coming up with some story lines.

Here’s the set-up so far.
Place: Denver (because it’s a good size city that’s not NY, LA, LV, SF, Seattle, DC, etc… and I used to live there.)
Players: Two ex-Air Force Officers. Both worked in a secret military compound where they encountered some extra-dimensional technology. One went suffered mental problems and was sent to psych ward. An astute Psychiatrist recognized budding psychic power.

The other developed some unusual physical side effects. An accident got the officer sent to a court marshal. Now out on probation, he is supervised by a Colorado Court Judge.

Another player is a ghost of a 1920’s wealthy Denver family. He was assassinated by the mafia and later partially resurrected in a 1960s by a hippy who botched a resurrection spell.

A fourth player has yet to give me what he plans on playing.

Major NPCs: A wealthy family living in Deer Creek Canyon on the grave a certain ghost. They have established a kind of compound where they keep people with unusual abilities on as staff. The owner is a property developer who has some precognitive abilities. His wife is a Colorado Court Judge.

The neighbor of the property developer, is a psychiatrist who shares a strong interest in the in the neighboring compound and it unusual residents. He often visits.

Bad Guys: the Amalekites. As in from the Old Testament. When King Saul failed to slay all of the Amalekites as ordered, several escaped to a Hell Dimension where they created a new society. They briefly appeared in the New World a couple hundred years later, but where driven out. Now they are returning and establishing a base of operation in the Rocky Mountains with plans to roll forth from the mountains to destroy the world.

Now the ancient tribe of Amalekites has gone through some changes. They have become a race of super-beings possessing incredible regenerative abilities and some enhanced features. They can only be killed by the sound of a ram’s horn (recording don’t work) as that they have a sensitive membrane in their ears that can be shattered by a ram’s horn. This membrane is connected to an artery causing them to bleed to death out their ears.

Because they were in a Hell Dimension they have some vulnerabilities to religious items. Now who could have brought them to a Hell Dimension? Could it be Satan? So I feel justified in saying that Amalekites have a averse reaction to consecrated oil and they have an psychophysical aversion to the star of David.

The Amelekites have a strict social class system including soldiers, assassins, spies, and rulers (specifically Agag and the Sons of Agag). They have also brought with them some new technology from their own dimension.

Other Bad Guys: A foursome of junior high girls how have developed telepathic abilities which they proceed to use irresponsibly. Team Teen Girl Squad Evil.

So that a lot of what I have at the moment. What would be some good story-lines?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: My  Next Campaign
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 08:25:03 PM »
well, watch Smallville for plot ideas. Got some similarieties there.
Define the second officer's "side effects"

I will cogitate some more

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 09:07:17 PM »
The players aren't high school students. And they're not is a small town. Denver is about the same size as Seattle or Cleveland. So I'm not quite seeing the Smallville conection, other than the extra-dimensional technology is kind of like Kryptonite. People of told me that it sounds a lot like Angel.

The second officer will have extraordinary strength and can transform parts of his anatomy into weapons or something. We haven't worked out the details yet.

I'm thinking about the amalekites owning a business of some kind. I'm just not sure what kind of bussiness, just not a law firm.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 09:16:40 PM »
I'm thinking you've got a lot of potential for Monster of the Week things here.
Like those girls. I believe that even was a Smallville story.
Anyway, there are thematic similarities there as well. I'm not saying it's exactly like Smallville. Cuz it's not. I just see similarities.

Anyway, still cogitating.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 09:43:13 PM »
Yes, there is the potential for monster of hte week, but I want some over arching plot elememts, particularly with the Amalekites. I guess it would help if I decided how the Amalekites where going to take over the world.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 09:46:02 PM »
Are there anymore Judaic elements I could add?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 09:49:39 PM »
yeah, Smallville has that too: with him discovering his origin and the whole Lex Luthor thing.

You could include the Golem, which was originally made to protect against vandals and the like, but it wouldn't be difficult to adjust it to fight against devils.

Catholics and Jews both had some pretty intricate systems of angels. You could do some research on that. I don't have enough info to give much of worth about that.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 10:23:30 PM »
Angels and Golems are a possibility, course, I actually haven't delved much into mythology. Mostly I've been taking things I find (in like the Old Testament) and creating my own mythology.

I don't mind using mythology, I just figure I need to be careful about which ones I choose to use. I'm probably more likely to go with angels than golems because they are mentioned in the Bible and golems are not.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 12:21:57 AM »
I've been thinking that perhaps the Amalekites own an insurance company. Insurance companies are evil, right?

Just what would an insurance company be doing to take over the world, besides scamming people out of money?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 12:28:28 AM »
Being from Hell and all, do they sell fire insurance?

anyway, it's not the company as a whole, it's the fact that they're able to get contracts easily. If they're not traditionally Mephistopholean, where they just want souls, you can still have them using some sort of magic spell in the contracts that gives them influence or control over their customers, either giving them an army for their eventual take over or at least making mankind more readily submissive.