Author Topic: the coming of CONAN  (Read 2465 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
the coming of CONAN
« on: February 08, 2004, 08:07:42 PM »
Hello boys and girls out there in TV land

I know I have been scarce for over a month now (what do you mean you hadn't noticed???).  I had been in hospital following a bad auto accident that fractured four discs in my back and nearly killed my wife.  We are both on the mend, but between rehab and the pain, I have not been gaming a whole lot, nor have I gotten much of a chance to post anything.

Being the lil' rpg addict that I am, I have been using this time to catch upon several games that I have been sent these past few months but never got around to reading, let alone playing.  I was sent the three books comprising the Marvel Universe RPG.  it is actually a cool system (diceless, though, the horror!) that is designed to be fast and versitile.  It succeeds, although a lot of the actual nuts and bolts are nebulous and needs the GM and players to describe the outcomes of their own actions, as well as exactly how their skill specialties work.  The only difficulty was in the rules for creating new characters, which seem a little tough for a game that is aimed at newbies.  The adventures provided in the books tend to be a bit overwhelming (in the main rulesbook, the bad guys in the initial adventure include the Brotherhood of Mutants, Bullseye, AND the Green Goblin!).  Still, it is a solid and fun game that gives you tons of stats, maps, histories, and essays concerning all aspects of the Marvel Universe.

I also got to leaf through Oathbound.  Although it has been out for a couple of years already, I never got to read it before.  It is a LOT of fun.  Highly original fantasy with more new races than you can shake a staff of the Magi at.  If you ever wanted to play a housecat who is also a 6th level necromancer, check this game out.

Finally, the folks at my local games shop sent me a free copy of the brand new CONAN RPG!!!  This game is so authentic that it even SMELLS barbaric!!  (no, wait, that's just me.  nevermind)  It is a complete game system in and of itself, not tied to D&D and not requiring the d20 corebooks for use.  I have just started to read it and so far I have been very impressed with the genuine feel that the writers have for the works of R.E. Howard.  I will talk more about it after I have read it through a bit.  In the meantime, all I can say is that it is making me want to strap on my hauberk, sharpen my khopeh, and go out and slay the infidels!  A really cool read.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: the coming of CONAN
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 09:34:27 PM »
THat the mongoose one? That's what I plan on asking them for next. Which I should do. Since they just asked what I wanted next.

Sorry to hear about your accident. That sucks. Glad you're (relatively) ok now.

Do you happen to know Case Yorke?

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 10:42:56 PM »
Slant!

Wow, glad to hear that you and your wife came through (relatively) okay and are healing.  Your lack of presence was missed and brought up on some thread a while back...

As for Conan, I've been following its development for a while and really enjoyed what they did with the combat system and magic (a lucky git with a review copy posted some sample combats at rpg.net) and had it on pre-order at Amazon for a while (Mongoose is charging $50 for the book...it was at Amazon for $30). Eventually I cancelled it as I already have too many cool games that I'll never play.  Hope to borrow it from a friend though.  Most who've seen it say it is one of the most amazing core books to come out for a while.

I'd seen a bit about the Marvel universe RPG and was sad to hear that it's already been sunk.  Marvel fired all the designers.  At least there's a few supplements out for it already!

Get well soon, man!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 05:50:19 AM »
glad to heard you're doing better Slant.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 06:08:27 AM »
Wow.  Slant, you really should have posted something about your accident up in the "everything else" section.  I almost didn't see this.

Anyway, hope you're feeling better!
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 07:21:47 AM »
Woah, are you ok? That sounds pretty bad. i myself was wondering where you had been, although may I say that this is a really good excuse.  All I can really say though is, glad you and your wife survived it.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 07:39:32 AM »
Good to know you and your other half are on the mend.  Yet another foiled attempt by the forces of efficiency to dominate TWG!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 05:06:32 PM »
Hey all

Thank you for your well wishes for Cait and myself.  I appreciate it.  And Mr. P, if you can get a copy of Conan for $30, it really IS cool enough to add to an already exhaustive list of uber cool games.  It is an etire game in one book, no other d20 books required.  Plus, it is the only game officially endorsed by Crom.  

They cancelled the Marvel Universe game?  So now I'll never have the stats for Devil Dinosaur and Moon Boy?  Curses!  CUR-SES!!
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 05:26:23 PM »
Hey Slant, hope you get feeling better soon. If there's anything we Time-Waster's can do for you, just let us know.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 07:28:30 PM »
Apart from giving money or RPGs out of course! *Hugs copy of gurps possessively*
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 07:59:08 PM »
Well, they officially told me they're sending this to me today. YAY! i love it. Expect a prompt review, because Mongoose promises to link to us in their newsletters. Conan has proved popular for this.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 07:22:35 PM »
Conan Came
It's very pretty. I shall read it soon and review.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 12:57:43 PM »
see the problem with the game/book as I see it, is there are no pictures of Arnold as Conan.  And that just ruins the setting for me.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 02:03:01 PM »
feh. Plebian.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 02:04:47 PM »
do you mean "plebeian" or is that something from the conan setting?  Been a while since I've seen the movies, and have never read the books.