Author Topic: Introduce yourself - right on!  (Read 189439 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: Introduce yourself - right on!
« Reply #240 on: November 20, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »
Hey, all!

I'm Kendra Wilson. I'm 21, and I'm from Twin Falls, Idaho, currently going to school at Brigham Young University-Idaho in Rexburg (Idaho, obviously). I'm a senior, and my major is English with an emphasis in Creative Writing. If you couldn't tell by the major, or the emphasis, I love writing. I also love reading. Brandon/EUOL's pretty much my favorite author right now. His books are pretty sweet.

I've been writing for quite a while. Probably since I was about 12 or 13, although my writing back then was really lame (I read some of it with one of my friends not too long ago, and we were laughing pretty hard the whole way through). Fortunately, it has improved tremendously (I think). I write predominantly fantasy....I also read mostly fantasy, so...yeah.

Other things about me: I love music. To death. I honestly don't think I could live without music. Fav bands include Jimmy Eat World, Making April, Collective Soul, Guster, Secondhand Serenade, and Straylight Run....but there's a lot more. Besides listening to music, though, I enjoy singing, and I adore playing the piano. Pounding out Pirates of the Caribbean or Lord of the Rings music is fun (and that's exactly what I do--pound...).

Random facts about me: I've been hit by 3 cars in my life. Two when I was barely 3. The last when I was 18 (less than a month before I graduated from high school). All 3 are fairly interesting stories which I have no problem discussing, should you care to learn more....I'm kind of crazy. Not really literally, but sometimes it seems like I am. One of my friends once referred to me as being quiet, meek, and psycho...and the first two were only first impressions, so I guess that means that I'm truly psycho underneath my seemingly introverted exterior...or something....And I'm going to Europe in May! It's a British Literary Tour through my school, and I'm super-excited for it. It shall be bundles of fun.

And yeah...I think that's pretty much it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 09:48:45 AM by little_wilson »
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 22, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »
Hey all you awesome people! My name is Mike. I'm 31 and from Highland, Utah. I've been reading quite a few of the threads in the Brandon Sanderson section and decided I wanted to officially join these great forums.

I'm a software engineer and I love to read. Most of what I read is fantasy, so I guess that would make Fantasy my favorite genre. Some of my favorite authors have passed on (Robert Jordan, Robert Asprin ...  :'() and I am really excited that Brandon Sanderson has emerged as such a brilliant young author.  ;D I hope to follow his career and enjoy his books for a very long time.

I have never played any of the board games that seem to be very popular on these forums. I do love RPG games on the computer though. Who knows, maybe some day I will be brought into the fold.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed the discussions and opinions share on these forums and just want to say thanks to everyone for contributing! Maybe you'll even catch me sharing my 2 cents every now and then.

Tamyrlin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2008, 05:30:33 PM »
Hi, my name is Ryan Kelly and I'm 29.  I live in Salt Lake, UT for the moment, but my wife and 1 month old son are fixing up a house in Taylorsville that we'll be moving into next year.  I've been wanting to write out the stories in my head for years but haven't been serious about investing the time into it.  I'm interested in the Reading Excuses forum here to share some of my work with other writers and get some feedback on whether or not it's any good.  :)

Fantomboo

• Level 1
  • I like PIE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 16, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »
Hey guys my name is Drew I live in Texas, USA. I am 30 married with 5 kids yeah yeah I know it is a lot but hey they are tons of fun. I am on the Technology team for a local school. I came to this site by way of Brandon Sanderson's site I am just getting started on reading his works I am on The Well of Ascension now. I found Brandon's works by way of Robert Jordan's Dragonmount. I really like forums where I am able to talk about the works I am interested in and where I can be recommended to new works.  Well meet everyone and look forward to many discussions here.
Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.
C.S. Lewis

Master_Rahl22

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 23, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »
Hello all!

My name is Seth, and I live in Missouri.  I became a Brandon Sanderson fan recently after finally remembering his name while at the bookstore.  Nobody there seemed to know who I meant when I asked them about "that one guy who's finishing the Wheel of Time series."  In the following 6 week period I have read all 3 Mistborn books and Elantris, and am eagerly awaiting anything else Mr. Sanderson decides to publish.

I'm a software engineer and I'm into sci-fi/fantasy books and the occasional video game although those are tough to fit in while trying to look after a 1 year old boy and still have time for my wife and I to be a couple and not just Mom and Dad.  Anywho, that's me.

clockworkspider

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 25, 2008, 02:42:36 AM »
Hello, everyone!

My name is Stefan, and I'm a 21-year-old data entry clerk [prestigious, no?  :D] living in Canada.  I finally joined this forum after finishing Hero of Ages last night, and have been a Brandon Sanderson fan after reading Elantris.
Bridge Four:  At least Guardsmen get T-shirts.

Captain_Squally

• Level 1
  • Dum de dum AH MY HAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2008, 09:00:28 PM »
Hey all, been lurking on the site for some time but just made an account today!

Location is Chicago, IL, age 24.  I graduated from Loyola University Chicago with a Creative Writing major.

My writing interests are broad, from serious fiction through science fiction, horror, fantasy etc.  I also read constantly and my preferences there tend to lean towards the fantastical.  Some favorites of mine include those you'd expect  :P Robert Jordan, George RR Martin, Raymond Feist, Ray Bradbury among many others.

Interests outside of writing include videos games (Action/Adventure, RPG, or shmups) and pretty much everything I see getting discussed here, which makes me think I'll fit in well.  Hope I'm right!!

Razor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2009, 06:59:25 AM »
On your side if the screen, I am a peasant, on my side I am a surgeon, part of the reason for Razor, a takeoff for scalpel as well as the fact that I am living in the Razorback state of Arkansas.  I am a huge Robert Jordon fan and have since ead and enjoyed EUOL's works and am really loooking forward to AMOL.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 06, 2009, 11:54:31 PM »
What does a sticky topic mean?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Howard Tayler

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2009, 05:27:01 PM »
A sticky topic stays at the top of the list even if there's little or no activity in it.

On topic: Hi, I'm Howard Tayler of Writing Excuses and Schlock Mercenary fame. I write and illustrate a webcomic for a living, and should probably get back to work. Right now.

Emmaleem

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2009, 02:36:46 AM »
Hi, I'm Emily M.  I broke my leg two weeks ago, and have just finished off the last two Mistborn books while I'm laid up.  And I wanted to talk about them.  And I have all this time to waste...

I'm a mom of three, I live in Utah, and I blog at segullah.org/blog as Emily M.  I also edit for  Segullah: Writings by Latter-day Saint Women.  Right now, I write/edit personal essays.  Someday I would like to delve into fiction, not sure which genre.  But right now essays are all I have the attention span for.
segullah.org

CStroman

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2009, 04:57:53 AM »
My name is Chad Stroman. I'm 35 from Utah. Married with 3 kids. Aspiring screenwriter, avid reader, and consumate time waster (I should fit right in then). I spend my wasted time on the triggerstreet.com website, cougarboard.com, reading screenplays, writing script ideas, etc.

I joined because when I read books, I see them as films in my head, or how they could be adapted to film. After reading the first Mistborn book (I'm currently reading the second very slowly) and seeing how much of the action was very cinematic and divided into natural scenes, I wandered on over to Brandon's official website where reading some of his posts, it appeared he also referred to them as scenes.

As practice for myself, I've been adapting the first Mistborn book into a screenplay as well as doing so as I read the Well of Ascension also. I've been studying the craft of screenwriting for about 10 years now amateurishly (from books, other screenwriters and produced and un-produced scripts, etc.)

Obviously I don't own any rights to do so and I'm not adapting them with a full hope (although I do have a smidgen of hope) that anyone would actually read them and be interested in translating me from an "aspiring" screenwriter to an actual screenwriter, but I did have the curiosity of Mistborn's status as a cinematic commodity.

Also recently I've checked up on Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" journey to try to become a produced film adaptation and OSC's recent effort to "bridge the gap" between the novels and films by joining with Marvel in producing an "Ender's Game" comic series (with the intent to use them as a sort of "storyboard" for interested film industry producers).

So I joined with the aim to try and find out what direction Mistborn is going now that I presume the Novel's are complete.

Are the rights/option to a film adaptation owned by anyone? If they are what work is being done? What about a Comic Book adaptation?

Basically what is the future of Mistborn?

I hope to find answers to those questions perhaps if I'm lucky.

Asondreal

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:41 PM »
Hello, I am new here. I am also new to reading Brandon Sanderson's books. I so far have ready the first half of The Final Empire and am hooked. I started to be interested in his work when it was announced he was going to write the final edition to the Wheel Of Time. I look forward to reading more of his works.
Anyway, I am currently writing my own series and hope to get published within the next couple years *crosses finders*.  Have been working on these two books for a few years now and am close to being done.
I also live in Utah, Provo actually, where I am married and have five children. I want to become a full time author, but currently do my daily grind fixing Dell computers for a living. Hey, it's a job.

Divinitas Intereo

• Level 1
  • Veritas nihil veretur nisi abscondi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2009, 11:18:56 PM »
Yo, the name is Stone Sanchez. I'm a Musician as well as a petty wanna be writer. I've been working on my writing for about 5 years now, and just started writing my first serise. I have hopes of one day being a published author, but I don't think I'll ever be a working one.

At the moment, most of my writing is done online though script role playing, or some other vague and obscure form. I'm 17 years old, attend a night school and so I have tons of countless hours during the day because I have nothing to do except wait for the oncoming sunday. Umm, I guess you can say my "job" is being a musician, since that's what I do. I play the drums for LifePoint Church, and I also play at weddings, and any other event people like to blow cash at.

A little about me? Well, I grew up for 5 years, then read the serise that changed my life: The Chronicles of Narnia. Weird? Not near enough. I spent the younger years of my life reading though anything I could get my hands on, gathering near enough unpracticle knowledge to fill a librarys worth of information. When I was 12 I turned my half baked mind towards writing instead of reading.

I'm not particularly anti-social, but I am a little picky about who I talk to. I love writing, and everything about it, and I also love music. My styles are Jazz, Classical, and Fusion. I've lead a pretty good life up till now. Never had any hardships, don't have to worry about money, and basically don't worry about anything. Lackluster, right? Well, that's all I have to say about me.

Oh--Sorry about that. I found this site on Brandon Sandersons Site. I heard he would be the one that would be finishing up the Wheel of Time books and I wanted to see what kind of author he was. I like his writing, to say the least. I'm basically just a random Bibliophile that reads anything I can get my hands on. Yeah. Nuff said___
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:25:05 PM by Divinitas Intereo »
You me and all our friends,

Such a happy human race

the Living Nightmare

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 05, 2009, 07:28:24 AM »
Well, here goes nothing.. My name is Jonathan Shoemaker, and I am twenty-four years old. My friends have used the nicknames Jon, JC, frog, etc.. I currently live in the state of MD, and was introduced to Brandons' work through my older brother (he's a huge Robert Jordan fan). I have read all three of the Mistborn books, and I love all of them. I recently started reading Warbreaker, and can not wait to finish it. I am an aspiring writer, and have been for some time. Let's see.. well, I am not entirely sure what else to say, so I will leave it at that for now. I look forward to getting to know any, or all of you. As well as reading, sharing in, and starting some very engrossing discussions. Until then, take care all.