Author Topic: Introduce yourself - right on!  (Read 189290 times)

Claye

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Proud spastic dancer since 1991
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself - right on!
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2007, 04:19:39 PM »
 Okay... I'm Claye, I'll be 15 the thirteenth, and I've been a lurker among the boards for a little while. I came here at first becuz of Mr.Sanderson. I'm currently sleepingt through class with a 94 average so... I have a lot of time on my hands. I guess that's all. ;D

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2007, 07:48:09 AM »
Hi, my name's Merlin and I'm not exactly a native speaker, so please forgive me some mistakes I'm sure to make.

So, I'm an IT engineer with translation as a hobby for spare time.

Of course the first and only reason I sought to join this forum was Elantris - I hope to read Mistborn soon, as soon as I get the copy :)

It's great to see that I'm not alone in my opinion about Elantris.

And now I'm going to browse this forum for a while to see if I fit ;)
Waiting for the Sun...

Soryn

• Level 3
  • hey hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2007, 03:11:35 PM »
Hullo, I'm Soryn. Like a few others, I first came here because of Mr. Sanderson.

Let's see...I like to write, and some day I hope to be an author.  I also like to draw, and it is one of my ambitions to also illustrate my books. I absolutely love video games, and am pretty active on WoW at the moment.

Anyway, I've been a lurker for a while but hopefully now I will be a bit more active.

Thorgierr

• Level 1
  • I drank what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2007, 01:52:21 PM »
Okay,

I am Kevin Evans, wandered in here after meeting Brandon at few conventions, got to the conventions because some of my friends were also attending. My wife and I currently reside in Rio Rancho New Mexico. I also attended BYU, but left after they combine my major was a numbercrunching major. Since then I have spent 13 years in the Army and 11 years working for the FAA. Among my interests is a group called the SCA where I've been involved in hand-to-hand combat for the past 37 years. I read and collect science fiction have my walls completely covered with bookshelves and still have far too many books for the bookshelves. My wife and I are frequent contributors to the Grantville Gazette, this is a magazine publishes a part of the canon of the 1632 story braid by Eric Flint. 1632 was going to be Eric Flint's stand-alone Y2K novel, demand for a sequel, and continuing interest have pushed this in two over three million words in print, that is over nine novels and 14 short story collections. We (my wife and I) are continuously interested in improving our writing styles and abilities. We have however come to the realization that writing cannot replace our day job. (My wife says, "it is my day job")

As the gaming,
We began gaming with a little paper pamphlet called Chain Mail in the 70s. I personally have been involved in the development of several now long gone games, among them Tunnels and Trolls And Mustangs and Messerschmitt's. Currently I Spent Far Away Too Much Time Hacking Away at PC Games.

Good to Be Here,
Kevin
My other ridr weighs 500 tons
http://www.nmslrhs.org/

twisted

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »
Hi, I'm Rachael Koop.  I was bored at work and happened upon your website (yes I was slacking).  It tickled my fancy so I thought I'd join.  Trust me I'm opinionated. 

Well I live in Tasmania (yes we do have Tasmanian Devils and no they don't spin around!) I have 3 daughters and 2 permanent foster sons, so I have no common sense, what is worse is they are 8,7 and 5.  While this doesn't add up - it means I have three 5 year olds.  Can't get much worse can it. 

Pre-children I was a fraud investigator for a bank but now apart from housework and slacking of at my husbands business, my life is pretty much like being a taxi driver. 

Why am I here............

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2007, 07:12:29 AM »
Heya! Well, I've been running around the site for the past little while, so I guess it's about time to introduce myself. My name's Shannon, I stumbled upon this site because of Brandon Sanderson (I know what you're thinking 'not another one!'). I started college last year, just mozying my way through GED. I love art, and am planning to go into illustration. Also, I got addicted to writing this summer, so this site has been a lot of fun. Well, I hope you all, or ya'll, will put up with me for a while!

agilebrit

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Arrant Nonsense--Wherein I Whine About Writing. A Lot.
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2007, 01:32:12 PM »
*waves*  I'm Julie, I live in West Jordan, UT, with my husband, my son, two cats, and a hyperactive French Brittany.  I have a degree in Biology from WTSU (I think it's still called that, even after the merger with Texas A&M; I'm woefully out of touch with my alma mater).

I write science fiction, fantasy, and a smidge of horror.  So far, it's all been short stories, but I hope to write a novel someday.  My goal this year is to finish at least one story a month (fell down on that in August *sigh*), and to submit something every quarter to Writers of the Future until I either win or am no longer eligible.  I've had one story accepted by Renard's Menagerie.

I also cut my writing teeth on fanfiction. *dodges tomatoes*  I know, I know, controversial topic to some.  But Joss said we should go forth and write the stuff, and who the heck am I to say "no" to him?

Xekim

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2007, 04:16:22 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm Mike, and I live in Portland, Oregon.  I'm about to turn fourteen and start High School next year.  (i'm not looking forward to it.) 

I'm fond of writing short and long fiction of sci-fi stories.  However, I'm cursed with a very short attention span and so i've had alot of trouble finishing those stories.  *sighs and shake his head*  I've tried fan fictions on occasion, and I usually only do them on books I like, however, I've always though Fan fictions were incredibly shaky ground for me, hardcore fans are sometimes hard to please. 

I'm not too sure what people think of my writing outside of my home and classroom.  I've been told i'm good, but I always take good criticism badly.  I tend to wonder how true it really is...but that's just me. 

Kaell

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2007, 08:13:40 PM »
Hello,  I'm Kaell.  I'm twenty and I'm from Toronto, Ontario(blegh).  I started checking out this site a little while ago and liked it so I decided to join and introduce myself.  The only things I'm currently doing are working and learning to drive, though the driving not so much unfortunately.

Queen Mother

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2007, 07:52:03 PM »
Hmm...I'm scared of posting but as a mother of 10 and probably the oldest here, I guess I shouldn't be!  I'm Avis Fossett and live in WY currently with my husband and nine of our children.  We also have residing with us:  a rottweiler named Akachan, a poodle named Sakura, two lovebirds, a cockatiel named Kame that barks and meows, a ferret named Haiyama, and some large goldfish my daughter won't let us get rid of!!  I live in a virtual zoo of animals of all kinds and it actually is fun sometimes in our organized insanity! My husband Jim has tendencies towards the character of "Monk" (tv show), a military drill master, and an overgrown boy that I still adore after 24 yrs of marriage.  I knew Pemberly many yrs ago when she taught in WY. And because of her, I read and bought Mistborn 1 and Elantris.  Brandon is a very creative writer. I like his fresh "worlds" he creates.  I don't care for the rape and murder scenes that I've "seen" as I've read his books, but I love the genius of his worlds that he develops that draws me in to want to have powers like the girl in Mistborn.  (I forget my own children's names so it isn't a slight on your story characters, Brandon!)  So here I am as I have titled myself as "Queen Mother".

FTH

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Love and Peace!
    • View Profile
    • Swiss Drivel with Cheese
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2007, 04:57:30 PM »
Hello there!

Name's Fabian Trunz, howdy, nice to meet you! I'm not an annoying person!

Right. This seems like a nice place with nice people, so I'll probably be looking around here every now and again. I just started a Blog at http://fabiantrunz.blogspot.com/ and there's a little bit more about me already written there. Not much content yet, though, but I plan on rectifying that on an at least semi daily basis.

Got here, of course, because of Mr. Sanderson. A post from the NaNoWriMo forums made me become intrigued because it was so overflowing with such a horrendously huge amount of useful information. I hope to be learning a lot from all of you and thanks for having me!

Sincerely yours
FTH

Jhaeli

• Level 3
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful...
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2007, 05:16:02 PM »
My turn!

My name's Paige. I'm a news reporter and anchor at a small-market radio station somewhere in Manitoba, Canada. I've been an avid reader all of my relatively short life (21 years) and have dabbled with writing, though lately it's been more writing "for the ear" not "for the eye" - in other words, writing for radio.

Yes, I too was drawn here by Brandon Sanderson. I randomly picked up Elantris over a year ago at a book store; the title drew my attention and the prologue immediately hooked me. Ironically, despite being a life long fantasy reader (I was scouring Bulfinch's Mythology at age ten), Elantris immediately became my favourite novel. It has elements of existentialism, which is a philosophy that I relate to and that (for lack of a better term) matches my personal beliefs. I don't think it was intentional on the author's part, but it really grabbed me!

I've since picked up Mistborn and am waiting for the second to come out on paperback (don't let anyone tell you that radio pays well to start).

I've been peeking over the boards for a few days now after being directed from www.brandonsanderson.com and thought I'd join in the haunting!
"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel - it is, before all, to make you see." - Joseph Conrad

Nihility

• Level 1
  • Was it something I said?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2007, 09:57:02 AM »

Hello.
I'm Stewart. I am fifteen years old, enrolled as a Sophomore in Highschool and currently residing in Southern California. I arrived here through the links on Sandersons' dot com. I've read MistBorn and I honestly have just finished The Well Of Ascension less than an hour ago. Not surprisingly, I spend most of my time at school. I'm an active member of the co-ed wrestling team there and I'm awaiting tryouts for Soft Ball-- Yes. I am a girl. Stewart is the name I fancy, my last name. I  likely got used to it from my years in ROTC, however, I am currently out of the program and off of the Armed Drill Team there as well.  When I'm not in school, you can usually find me chatting on the phone, on-line, on my spiffy 360 with and without friends, and even occasionally attending parties.  I'm just your regular kid that way, I guess.  :P

Happy to have found these forums.

- Nil
A future was lost yesterday
As easily and irretrievably
As a tennis ball at twilight

Insomnius

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »
Hello all! My name is Victor Levy and I was born and live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I am 40 yrs young but look 25 - when I shave. I am married to a woman who I am convinced is descended directly from Leonidas the Greek king at the center of the movie 300. (What I am trying to say is that my wife is of Greek Spartan descent). We have a fantastic 7 yr old daughter with an attitude that makes me think of...me.

I released a CD in 2000 of some songs that I've had since I started writing songs just after high school - graduated in 1984. The second CD has been written for some time but getting musicians together can be somewhat daunting. I have had some of my poetry published in small anthologies. I am currently also writing my own contribution to the fantasy - science fiction genre. I play basketball and hockey with the enthusiasm of a 12 yr old :D

I discovered these forums through the announcement that Brandon Sanderson was completing the Wheel Of Time. Followed a couple of links, read Warbreaker version3.5 and VOILA! here I am!

Nice to meet you!

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2007, 12:05:53 AM »
Greetings,
My name is Kirk Artigue. I am a resident of Lafayette, LA and just an ordinary guy with no real life. I enjoy reading a great deal, though lately I seem to be finding less and less time to do so. I was born Nov. 8, 1981, so at the time of this post I am currently 26. I used to belong to several Forum Communities (mostly RP based and mostly Wheel of Time based).
I played a great deal of AD&D and the WoT RPG with a group of people for many years, spending a lot of time as the "A$$hole DM" (what can I say I had a bad attitude and was trying to learn the game literally hours before we would start playing). I have had varied professions and I tend to enjoy the simpler parts of society... thats a lie.. I don't really do social things at all. I was a High School Speech/Debate/Drama nerd with my face always shoved in a book and a trench coat, which earned me a various notorious reputation since my senior year was the year of Columbine.
I have an Associate Degree in Internet Information Systems that I do not use and have forgotten a lot of (not to mention not bothering to keep up with all the new stuff).
And I don't know what else to say. I'm pretty open to answering questions, but have in this post volunteered more information about myself than I usually do without being asked direct questions.

Oh, one more thing. I tend to be fairly blunt with my opinions and thoughts on a subject without really caring how people will perceive them.

Thanks.

--edit--
I also like to write, but cant finish a storyline to save my life and my ability to write dialog between characters is even worse, but still a man can dream.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn