Author Topic: Introduce yourself - right on!  (Read 189367 times)

Linternet

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself - right on!
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2006, 05:53:10 PM »
My name is Brian.

I'm 31 years old, live 20 miles outside of New York City in Long Island, NY.  I program video games for cell phones for a living and enjoy reading, playing video games, sports and practicing martial arts.

I found this site after reading a novel by Brandon Sanderson and followed his site to here.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 05:53:38 PM by Linternet »

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2006, 11:20:44 PM »
Lessee, an introduction:

Name: Lis
Handle: PixelFish (because I push zee pixels, and because I love zee feesh)

I grew up in the wilds of Utah County. I went to Ricks College back when it was still called Ricks College, and I'm very adamant that I graduated from Ricks College, and not from BYU-Idaho.

I'm a graphic designer, an artist, and an as-yet-unpublished writer.

As an adult, I have lived in Calgary, AB; San Diego, CA; Durham, NC; and San Francisco, CA, which is where I currently dwell. I have yet to leave North America, unless you're of the school fo thought that regards Mexico as Central America, in which case, I once spent a pleasant afternoon in Tijuana.

I read obsessively. I read shampoo bottles even. The movers HATE me, because I have about six bookcases worth of books, and despite trying to pack these in the smallest boxes I can find, to save their back muscles, it all adds up.

I play video games. I started with NetHack and Rogue and Pac Man, moved merrily on to Civilization in it's earliest incarnations, Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, Quake, Gauntlet, Diablo, Zelda, World of Warcraft, etc. I have an Atari 2600--I traded my sister to my brother-in-law for it. I said, "Hey, neat, you have an Atari 2600." He said, "I can get you one." I said, "Cool, you can marry my sister if you want."

How I ended up here: I read a review on OSC's site about Elantris. Then I saw the cover of Elantris in Spectrum. Then I found Elantris in the bookstore one day and thought, "Hey, that book with that cover that OSC likes." Then I read Elantris. Then I googled the EUOL. Then I came here. A very simple chain of causality.

If interested, you can view some of my art at my DevArt site:

http://pixelfish.deviantart.com/

.she.sings.from.somewhere.you.can't.see.

Spink_Longfellow

• Level 2
  • Beep boop!
    • View Profile
    • Freedom In Art
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2006, 09:39:48 PM »
My name is Jesse. I live in Arkansas, but I'm from Michigan. I'm working on my Bachelors in Organizational Managment(fun). I work for a communications company as an installation technician. I thouroughly enjoyed Elantris and Mistborn and cannot wait untill I get the next book! I am, as a hobby, writing a book.

J

Ruby_Thorne

• Level 1
  • Lady of the Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2006, 11:14:19 PM »
Hello,

My name is Camille and I found this site through a suggestion from a person on LDS Linkup. I work as a full time Internet Researcher.  I have a degree in digital film and I am currently writing a series of science fiction/fantasy novelsl  If they get published I want to turn into screenplays and then movies.

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2006, 05:34:54 PM »
I've posted here only a few times, but enough that someone might wonder, "who is this person?"

I'm here because I saw Brandon Sanderson's Elantris in the bookstore and liked the cover.  Well, that's how it started.  I liked the blurb, too; enough that when I went back home I read the book's reviews on Amazon, then went back to the bookstore and bought the book itself.  Continuing the theme, I liked the book, and put the author on my "keep track of" list.

I live near Boston, do web stuff for a living, write a little on the side, and am typically more critical and long-winded than this message would indicate.

MattD
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 05:36:51 PM by dreamking47 »
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

Pescado

« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2006, 07:11:45 PM »
My name is Matisse, I've lived in Provo, Utah my entire life, and I am 14 years old. (Even though a lot of the time, I wish I was older.) I have been a lurker here for quite some time now, and I also enjoy writing, and hope someday to be an author. I'm a big fan of EUOL's books--I actually first discovered TWG through his site. I also love to ski, draw, and play the flute.

I guess I'm just happy to be here.  :)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2006, 07:39:12 PM »
Figured I had better do this seeing as how I'm about to graduate to level 2...

My name is Dan Smyth.  I'm currently going to school at BYU studying to be a Chemical Engineer.  I got my BS in 2002, and hope to be done with my PhD in late 2007.  I found this website completely by accident, and later saw that there were some people I knew who were associated with it.  I mostly check out the books section.  I'm in the process of working on my first novel.  A friend and I are co-writing it, and things are coming along smashingly.  Grew up in Arizona.  29 yrs old.  Most times completely boring, but occasionally make comments that shouldn't be missed.  Anything else about me must be logically deduced and will not be the subject of future tests.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2006, 05:54:47 PM »
Name:  Bradley
Home: Alpine, Utah
Work: BYU

I grew up mostly in Arizona but have also lived in the Seattle area and spent some time in latin america including Peru and Mexico.  Now I live in Utah.

I'm mostly interested in 'Time Wasting' in the Writing section.   I first came to the forum when I took Brandon Sanderson's BYU writing class.  The necessity of working, having six busy children that I enjoy doing things with, and being an aspiring writer I don't waste nearly as much time on the site as I'd like.  :(

I'm fortunate enough to have regular contact with Brandon and some of the other Luminaries on the site.  I'm just hoping that some day a little of their talent, discipline, and intelligence will rub off on me.  I've been in several writing groups and written on and off for years.  I think taking Brandon's class was the best thing I've done for my writing.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2006, 07:27:17 AM »
My name is Dawn, I live in Spokane, Washington. I have a husband, two children, both boys ages 6 and 3 years old. While I love them I do love to escape from them occassionaly, and I use books to do that. I am an avid reader, and have been since I was a child, according to my parents.

I discovered Brandon Sanderson (EUOL) totally by accident. I post on another author's site and we were doing a reading club and Elantris was nominated, and won, for a reading and discussion. Since then I have been hooked. I found his site, and then Warbreaker here, and have just browsed around a bit since then. I post sporadically, so far, but the more comfortable I get and the more of the site that I see, the more I will undoubtedly start to post. I have been told that I am a bit opinionated, and I wasn't quite sure if it was said in a good way, or in a bad way.

So, thanks for having this thread, and so much stuff to look at :D

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2007, 12:36:51 AM »
My name is Natasha and I live in Chandler, Arizona. I have been married for 25 years and have 3 kids--22, 18 and 14. I am a registered nurse, most of my nursing career spent in Labor and Delivery.
I have been an inverterate fantasy/sci fi reader since about age 14 when my dad told me I couldn't read that stuff because it was useless trash. I managed to convert my 18 year old so that he loves to read fantasy as much as I do, but the other two don't even like to read, if you can imagine that.

I am another one that followed EUOL's trail to this website, and have wasted many pleasurable hours lurking around, enjoying everyone's sense of humor and community. Thanks for letting us newbies enter your world!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 03:26:04 PM by DragonFly »
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

Armadius

• Level 2
  • Bloptch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2007, 11:24:47 PM »
Hey everybody! I'm Andrew, and I'm paranoid about giving out a lot of personal (i.e. identifying) information online. I live in Massachusetts, I'm sixteen years old, and I'm a sophomore in high school. The town in which I reside is a boring, soul-crushingly mundane place, and it's caused me to reject the rest of the U.S. as a habitable country. I hope to move to Canada, Australia, or Holland.

I haven't paid nearly as much thought to higher education as I probably should have at this point.  All I know about where I want to attend school is that it better not be anywhere near where I live now. I've considered a lot of possible majors, though the most likely are psychology (because I enjoy understanding the way minds work), philosophy (because nothing's more interesting), political science (because I love politics), english (because it's my best subject), journalism (because I'm the editor of my school paper), or gay and lesbian studies (because I'm an out-and-proud gay).

I read and write with most of my spare time. I used to play Magic: The Gathering, but a lack of other players around me caused me to stop. I still have all of my cards, though. When I'm not reading and writing, I'm usually either working at a nursing home or shopping. I love clothes, and can be fairly materialistic and shallow at times. But hey, every man has his foibles. I also play tennis, though I'm horribly out of practice.

I found my way here because I looked on EUOL's website after reading Elantris, and there was a link. That's about it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:32:13 PM by Armadius »
"Beauty is a form of Genius - is higher, indeed, than Genius, as it needs no explanation. It is of the great facts of our world, like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark waters of that silver shell we call the moon. It cannot be questioned." - Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2007, 06:29:54 PM »
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father, prepare to die."

Ooops.  Sorry, it's just that I always think about that line when asked to introduce myself.  My name is Pengwenn and I didn't kill my father.

I love to read, although my reading time has taken a hit recently as I get used to my bionic eye.  Okay, it's not bionic but it's not entirely mine either.  I write a lot too.  Mostly crap, but I've written an excellent word or two.  My most recent ones were "winced" and "tipsy".  ::)  I play video games religiously.  I've upset a few hard core gamers when they find out they've been beaten by a girl.  Get over it.  Since I have to pay the bills I'll keep my job in insurance, but I wish I didn't have to.  Where's a suger daddy when you need one?

I linked here from Brandon Sanderson's own page and I've even met the guy.  If you guys can stand him you're either very patient or just as crazy as he is.  Either way we should get along just fine.

(Brandon Sanderson is a great guy and I just have to give him a hard time because he is such a great guy.  There, that such keep them from deleting my account.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 09:09:01 PM by pengwenn »

Tjaeden

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »
Hello, my name is Justin Reinhardt.

Currently I teach high school English (10th and 11th grade), I have my BA in English, with minors in History/Anthropology.  Starting my grad work in the spring - going to test the waters and head for a Masters in Creative Writing.

Officially, I have written little - but over the years, I have written hundreds of pages of D&D material and some things for other games (Lots of Shadowrun, too).   Poetry and short stories (fantasy) kept me going through college, when Diablo II, and later World of Warcraft didn't relentlessly eat away at my time.

Like Dragonfly and Dreamking, I followed Brandon Sanderson's working over to this wonderful forum.  Something about wasting time reading always appealed to me.  I have read tons of fantasy (some sci-fi), so if anyone ever wants something recommended, I'm your guy.  And if I don't know the book/author, point me in the right direction and I'll read it.

Thanks for having such a kick ass forum!
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...

RAD-SHoES KELLY

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2007, 02:28:29 AM »
Well I wanna start playing, SOON. My friends talk about this game alot.. I really have no idea how to get to a game or anywhere.. I'm just trying to figure stuff out on my own.. I wanna start a game really soon! Invite me if possible. Get to know me! I'm from Indiana, I love softball, and I'm an idiot!

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2007, 08:03:13 AM »
Right.

My name is Matthew R Carlin. I am an actor. I graduated from BYU (December 06, BFA in Acting).

I'm a twin from a family of ten kids and I'm interested in just about every aspect of art and performing (writing, acting, directing, choreographing, composing, dancing, painting, designing, conceptualizing, trouble-shooting, editing, eating, impressioning, cooking, dreaming, sleeping, casting, quoting, singing, storytelling, voice-overing, everything), and I was born in California, but my family is in Nevada, right now.

There. I've even updated it.  :P
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 08:21:50 PM by Qarlin »