Author Topic: Introduce yourself - right on!  (Read 189251 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Introduce yourself - right on!
« on: April 24, 2003, 12:06:44 PM »
So we've got a pile of new members that are posting fairly regularly and, even though we've had threads like this in the past, I think it would be interesting to hear a little from everybody.  The member profiles are notoriously uninformative.

May I suggest a few things:

1)  Everyone posts once - just a little about yourself.  Don't use this thread to say "Welcome Fell, good to meet you."  That way the tread will stay more organized and usable.

3) On a similar note, if something about you changes, modify your post rather than making a new one.

2)  The thread won't get deleted so that we won't have to have threads like this in the future.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Introduce yourself - right on!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 12:10:47 PM »
I'll go first --

My name is Rob Wells - I live in scenic Holladay, Utah.  I graduated from the the University of Utah with a Political Science International Relations degree and a history minor.  I have a wife and a 2 year old baby girl.

Technically, I'm the Tabletop editor, although I'm exceptionally lazy and never write anything.  I hope to do better this summer.

I enjoy most of the game genres talked about here, although I have a hard time with RPGs.  I don't have the time or the motivation.  I like reading the books though.  My main love is warhammer, although I rarely have time for that anymore, either.  Really, the only games I play at all these days are Heroclix and video games (PC).

I have one published novel, On Second Thought, and have second that will be out in Spring of 2005.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 06:56:22 PM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 12:26:33 PM »
My name is Dan Wells, and I'm Rob's elder brother. I live in Logan, Utah, where I work as a copy writer for a very large company. I am also the editor and originator of this site, though Skar and SaintEhlers share credit for origination of the idea. I have a wife and two kids: a 2 1/2 year old girl and a 14-month old boy.

Like Mustard I am a writer, though unlike him I haven't sold any books yet. I've got one I'm rewriting, and some other ideas I'm kicking around, so we'll see what happens.

I play virtually every genre of game you can imagine, though my current love is Heroclix--it has replaced Warhammer in my affections for the simple reason that Warhammer is incredibly hard to paint and/or play with two kids in the house. I hope to get back into it over the next few months in preparation for the Eye of Terror campaign.

It is an unusual quirk of mine that, when I see or do something I like, I get a compulsion to do my own version of it. This usually results in me inventing games or bizarre house rules, and it is what prompted me to become a writer.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 01:08:42 AM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 12:34:26 PM »
Hrm, how much stuff are we allowed to just make up?

I'm Ben Olsen, and technically I'm the webmaster, although I'm also very lazy and try to ignore any site suggestions that would require any work.

I graduated from BYU in Computer Engineering, and now work at with Verio, a web hosting company. That latter fact is the reason we can have TWG on a good server with no ads. I'm single with no kids and little hope of ever changing that.

I completely ignore the CCG and Tabletop sections, because they're exceptionally boring. I keep up with most the other threads, though.

EDIT: We *can* run TWG without ads; however, Fell decided to try them anyway. They make us some decent money, so for now they're sticking around.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 04:55:14 PM by Tage »
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 12:54:22 PM »

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:39:55 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 01:44:50 PM »
I'm Eric J. Ehlers. I'm the Associate Editor, which means I have to make sure stuff shows up on the front page every week day. If nothing shows up, i'm the one you're supposed to bug about it. I read every article and every forum post.

I graduated from BYU with a degree in Comparative Literature. Just so you know, that has nothing to do with the English dept and even less to do with any grammar -- so PLEASE don't insult me by trying to connect it (i'm a snob that way). But if you want a text explicated, analyzed, or criticized, I'm your man. I'm also very into comics, and I presented once at LTUE on the subject. I'm currently trying to get a contract for a book on it. As you can tell, I like to write. I'm trying to decide which novel to write first and have several new short story ideas each day (most I don't get down fast enough to remember)

I'm currently in the Northern Virginia area (*not* DC, again, it's a distinction that's important to me). I work for MicroAnalytics as a technical writer/Desktop publisher/network admin.

I'm married and have (nearly) four daughters. They are certainly the most beautiful children ever born to mortal man.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 02:08:23 PM »
I'm Jordan Sanderson
       and I'm terrably mysterious  8)
I'm a Japanese Major at BYU but have no current plans on graduateing.  I figure as long as the govement will pay me to goto school why should I get a real job.  Lets see I'm one of the resident ADD people on this site, unlike Tage who ignores it I come up with all sorts of stuff to do then about 2 days later forget about them.  I rarely read the CCG, Tabletob forums or the book section.  I'm also realy Lazy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 08:09:03 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Arathorn

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Run Ronnie run!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 07:48:37 PM »
Tut tut, I'm Darren Rolston. I'm 15 and a freshman in High School.I live in Nebraska, but don't judge me because of it....

I play Warhammer 40k and I think I'll buy some of Wizkid's Shadowrunner stuff when it comes out because it looks awesome.  

What else......

I like anime and the lord of the rings and I have some of the Games Workshop LoTR minis... I own a gamecube and my favorite games are Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 0, and of course Wind Waker.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2003, 09:08:35 PM »
My name is Zachary Kaveney. And I'm terribly outrageous. I'm 17, go to a high school, live in a house, and wear clothes (occasionally). I live in Derby, NY, it's one of those suburb things off of Buffalo by that awful Lake Erie that has kept us in this crappy Winter/Spring. I don't have a girlfriend, probably because I'm strangely unsocial, or maybe because every woman I come in contact with is horribly shallow or she "doesn't have that 'feeling.'"

I like(d) Magic the Gathering. Play it every so often. Trying to play Heroclix...but no one I know cares about it, bunch of cutthroats they are. I've been playing a lot of Warcraft 3 lately.

On the note of college and career stuff, I'm not sure what I'm doing. Engineering is what I'd do if I went to school A, and if I go to school B then it'd be Theater. Hah-cha-cha-cha!

Lastely, you can call me the resident psycho/insane/mentally disturbed person round here.

Does EVERYONE go to BYU? Whats up with all you people and this BYU? What is that, a bar?

Wow, re-reading this, I really hate myself. Did I really do that? Err.... ok me. You're a weirdo.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 03:19:17 PM by Gemm »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2003, 09:38:15 PM »
I'm Stacy Whitman. I graduated from BYU in Marriage, Family, and Human Development, and then went on to work as an editor for a trade magazine, then at Houghton Mifflin while working on my master's in children's literature at Simmons College in Boston. Just graduated last May, and now I edit children's and young adult fantasy.

You can probably guess that I'm mostly into the books and movies section. I'm also involved in the writing group. I used to not play any of the games at all, but lately I've learned to play Magic, D&D minis, SW minis, and D&D. Currently, I'm involved in an Eberron campaign, and I kick butt. Who knew it could be so fun? I mainly come here, though, to keep in touch with my TLE friends from undergrad days and the new friends I've made here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:19:18 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2003, 12:54:35 AM »
I'm Jeff Creer. By day I'm a not-so-mild mannered Art Education student at BYU. By night I am an award-winning graphic designer in the Utah "Happy" Valley area. That sounds a whole lot cooler than it really is, but you get the idea. I paint, draw, sculpt, and am generally constantly involved with various artistic projects and artistic organizations.

My main interests are the RPG and Movie/TV forums, though I also like the book forum and occossionaly I'll visit some of the other sites.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tiger

• Level 2
  • Fear my leet..uh..ieet. .uh..l44t..oh, forget it!
    • View Profile
    • www.eyerisimages.com
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2003, 05:36:31 PM »
Hi everyone! My name is Micah DeMoux.  I write reviews for the D&D section of the TWG.  I've been told people wonder why I never post.  Well, here you go.  I also graduated from Brigham Young University (for those of you who don't live in Utah thats the BYU people keep mentioning).  I have a Fine Arts degree in Photography which, of course, means that I am the Front Office Manager at a hotel in Provo, UT.  I also do some freelance photography work on the side.  If I ever get my website (eyerisimages.com) working, you will be able to see some of my work.  

Sweet...maybe now I will get to lvl 2!
YEAAHHH, I posted! I posted!.....Come-on LVL, damn you, LVL!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2003, 06:08:18 PM »
My name is Lucias Meyer and I'm currently attending Optometry School at the University of Missouri St. Louis and am about to finish up my second year there.  I'm originally from Hillsboro, Il and have a B.A. in Biology from Truman State University.  

I've been on the boards here at TWG for some time now and intend on staying a while.  The only board I don't frequent much is Webcomics, you'll usually find me saying something inane on one of the other boards.  

I've written some Gamecube reviews for the site and intend on writing up some RPGs if I could just find some time :)

Gargamel

• Level 4
  • Must... have... SMURFS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2003, 10:57:49 PM »
im ashkan hassani and i live in liköping in sweden wich lies in the northern part of europe (if you didnt know). i go to high school and im studying to become a engineer (or something).

as you can see im so lazy i dont even touch the shift button or put in any '.

i like playing videogames on my ps2 any genre will do if the game is good and i really like old adventure games for the pcbut there hard to get, i also like listening to music mostly rock, metal and video game music remixes and reading manga, everything i can get my hands on here in sweden im currently reading; blade of the immortal, dragonball, one piece, 3x3 eyes and blame.

i look at all the threads and try to give my oppinion.
Spends his life in pursuit of little blue guys in sissy white outfits and mentally abusing his cat. What does he plan to do with the blue dwarfs when he catches them anyway?
Gargamel is here to stay

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2003, 06:39:56 PM »
My name is Nate Hatfield.  My herd instinct compells me to mention that I graduated from BYU in English teaching and public administration.  I met Dan and Ben and Eric and Jeff while I was there through a lovely little publication called The Leading Edge.  I am currently living in the Seattle area, but will be relocating to the Wasatch Front in August.  Why, you ask?  I am currently engaged to be married, and my fiancee has two years of school left.  Guess where she goes to school!  So while both of us are  from WA and we both agree we'd rather be on the coast, we also decided that it's important for her to finish her degree (in theater education and dance) and transferring would set us too far back.

I am looking for a teaching job in Utah right now.  Preferably in a middle school or junior high.  After years I have finally decided that I want to teach English and social studies for a living.  

I also like to write, but don't do it very often.  I am a novice RPGer but love it.  Movies are great but I don't get around to seeing them very often.  Current favorite author: Philip K. Dick.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 06:44:08 PM by Lieutenant_Kije »