Author Topic: Lone Wolf RPG  (Read 1396 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Lone Wolf RPG
« on: May 01, 2004, 08:37:50 AM »
Is it just me or is Mongoose getting alot of the nalstalgic lincenese lately?  But I can't complaine, Lone Wolf was the best choose your own adventure books ever.  It OGL, like Connan, so its character creation is different then D20, and it's got no feats.  I can't wait to see what it turns out to be like.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/core/detail.php?qsID=357&qsSeries=Core
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Wolf RPG
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 08:41:05 AM »
lone wolf was an OK rpg from what I remember, never did the CYOA series.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 08:56:22 AM »
It wasn't so much of an RPG as a Choose your own adventure/RPG mix.  There were RPG elements to them, but since the method being used was overly simple so was the system.  You'd create a character (which you'd keep track of on the inside of the cover) then follow the normal choose your own adventure method.  And sometimes instead of "if you choose to do x, turn to page y" there was "roll a d6, on a roll of 1 the evil wizards fireball does x damage to you, turn to page y".  Pretty dang fun when you were 12 and the only game system was the NES.

You know it sad, most of the youngens on this board probaly have no idea what we're talking about.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 08:57:59 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 09:13:14 AM »
I remember Lone Wolf.  Grey Star, too.  TheOGL Lone Wolf is going to be a stripped down version of the familiar d20 product, aimed at bringing kids into the hobby and to nostalgic adults who remember the "combat in seconds" feel of the boks.  I have been promised a copy by the second week of May, so I will let everybody know how it is.  
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 09:15:14 AM »
wow, it's comming out that soon?  SE you should ask for a copy, if you don't want it I'll be happy to take it.  I think I read most of those books as a kid.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 07:27:09 PM »
I now have a copy of Lone Wolf in my hot lil' hands.  I haven't started reading it in depth yet, but from what I have seen just flipping through and reading certain parts, it looks comprehensive, visually impressive, and really fun.  All this from a measly lil' children's series from the 80's.  So when do we get Thundercats: the RPG??
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 07:35:10 PM »
That sounds a lot like a Fighting Fantasy book. Were the Lone Wolf ones similar? When I was 12 the games system was the SNES, but I did enjoy Fighting Fantasy books.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 07:36:54 PM »
Mogoose is hopefully sending us (and by us I mean me) a copy too.