Author Topic: The Draconomicon  (Read 1761 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
The Draconomicon
« on: May 24, 2004, 12:33:12 PM »
article reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=749

So I just posted this review today. I was eventually going to buy it just because it had dragons in the title (no, I'm not QUITE a dragon-phile like Micah references in the article), but now I know there's good stuff. Now I may pick it up after work today....

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: The Draconomicon
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 01:33:14 PM »
err thats a star wars review.... review seekers should try this link...

http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=749

« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 01:35:28 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 01:36:30 PM »
I don't know what you're talking about. Ignore the "last edit" remark on your screens.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 01:42:43 PM »
It's a cool book, Eagle Prince has a copy that I've flipped through. He's also ran a session where everyone played dragons based on the book. Unfortunately, I was out of town that day.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 03:21:59 PM »
I did.  :) Radiant dragons are cool. Radiant dragons with paladin levels are even better. I had a touch AC of 21 with a juvenille, partially because part of their natural armor bonus is a deflection bonus instead. Very cool. (Of course, Eagle Prince still nearly killed all 3 of our nearly-ECL 30 characters.)

I'm going to have to make a dedicated Dragonslayer wizard or sorcerer sometime.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 11:09:20 PM »
Keep in mind they got in this battle by hiring a polymorphed Drow ranger who led them into an ambush of 100 black orc rangers (level 6, ECL 10) all riding dire wolf mounts with animal companion abilities and led by a gloom.  Plus a few tactical mistakes once the battle started.

Dragons built using Draconomicon are extremely powerful.  At first I was thinking ugh... but then you get to the PC section and they even it back out (ie one feat lets you deal x7 damage on a critical hit against dragons, another lets you ignore huge chunks of their natural armor, etc).
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 11:11:49 PM »
SE you still need to edit your first link, you're showing a link to the approvial section of the articles and not the actual article.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 11:17:03 PM »
and I'm still clueless as to what you are talking about.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 11:17:55 PM »
I think he's moved past the part where he actually tries to coherently fix anything. But this Draconomicon. It may be worth the pricetag for an addition to my D&D books? I'm really iffy on any D&D books nowadays. Stupid price.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 11:35:37 PM »
I don't know, how much do you play DnD?  Its about 10$ more than the usual suppliment, but I'd say its worth 10 more.  It has about 280 pages, compared to 180-200 usually.  So I'd say its worth the extra money, but its up to you on what suppliments you want in the first place... dragons, fighters, magic.  There are a ton of dnd books, you basically just have to decide which ones you actually want.  I'm sure you could also just go check it out at the store first.  The main stuff you would want to look at are the PC classes/feats/spells, and the new kinds of dragons (especially planar dragons).
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 11:53:13 PM »
Did you say Planar Dragons? Mmm, you just hit my D&D sweet-tooth. Are the classes/feats/spells interesting and such?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 12:17:21 AM »
Yeah they are.  There are two sets of classes, feats, and spells.  One set is for dragons, and the other for PCs who are either friendly to dragons or hunt dragons.

Dragon PrCs
All dragon prestige classes are 12 levels

Bloodscaled Fury: prestige class for barbarian dragons.  They get increased benefits from rage, better spell resistance and damage reduction while raging, and a couple other odds and ends.

Disciple Of Ashardalon: This is for evil dragons, and it slowly gives them the fiendish template over the 12 levels, along with an ability called Fiendbond that gives them a virtual +2 to Charisma for spellcasting purposes only.
    If you were wondering, Ashardalon was the main villian in the adventure moduals first released for 3rd edition.  He was a red dragon who was killed by a druid who injured his heart.  The dragon took a Balar named Ammet the Eater of Souls and put the demon in his chest to replace his heart.  This prestige class are dragons trying to emulate him.

Dispassionate Watcher Of Chronepsis: He is one of the gods in the dragon pantheon, and the prestige class is about becoming one of his clerics.  It converts the dragon's spellcasting to cleric, increases spellcasting all but 1st level, and gives some various spell-like divining abilities.

Dragon Ascendant: 12 level prestige class that gets you divine rank 0 (quasi-god status).

Elemental Master: Energy/elemental type stuff depending on what type of element the dragon is already aligned with (ie blue dragon = earth; red and gold dragon = fire).  Grants Turn/Rebuke for elementals, summon elemental spell-like abilities, bonus to DC when using that element, etc.

Hidecarved Dragon: Cult of lawful dragons and half-dragons who carve runes on their flesh for protection (ie spell resistance, damage reduction, armor bonuses, death ward, poison immunity).

Sacred Warder Of Bahamut: Like the watcher prc, but for the god Bahamut.  Gets god Saliant Divine Abilities Divine Shield and Area Divine Shield, just renamed to Sacred Shield (force shield that absorbs X amount of damage, no matter where the damage comes from, including divine damage).

Unholy Ravager of Tiamat: Like watcher and warder, but for Tiamat.  Grants god-like SDA Divine Blast and Mass Divine Blast (remaned Profane Blast).  Deal xd12 divine damage, with X being the number of dice their breath weapon deals.

Dragon Feats

There's a few feats from the Epic Level Handbook, and it says dragons can take epic feats if they are at least Old age catagory.  There is also Metabreath feats, ie Maximize Breath/Quicken Breath.  Pretty much like metamagic feats, but it increases how long the dragon has to wait until it can use its breath weapon again (usually 1d4 rounds, with a roll of 1 meaning the next round).

I'll do the player PrCs in a different post.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 12:37:47 AM »
PCs

Dracolyte
Cleric who worships a draconic deity.  Full spellcasting progression, access to a dragon domain, special qualities of the "Dragon" monster type (low-light vision, darkvision 60, and immunity to sleep and paralysis), and a foster dragon (wyrmling dragon placed in your care).  10th level ability is summon an adult dragon 1/day for 10 rounds.

Dragonkith
These are people who serve and aid dragons.  They get scales (natural armor bonus), a smite-type of attack 1/day, energy resistance, and ability to share spells with a dragon.

Dragonrider
5-level prestige class that lets you ride dragons really well.

Dragonslayer
Fighter-type class with 1/2 progression spellcasting, aura of courage, damage reduction, and bonuses to beat a dragon's spell resistance.

Dragonsong Lyrist
5-level Bardic-type class with special draconic bardic music and a total of +2 levels to spellcasting.

Dragonstalker
Sneak attack damage vs dragons only, ability to hide from dragons, and ability to penetrate dragon armor.  10th level they get the dragonbane ability with any weapon they wield, and it even stacks with a weapon that already has dragonbane.

Hordstealer
Thief-type class with trapfinding, ability to hide from dragons, limited spellcasting, darkvision, and ability to turn pockets into bags of holding.  The idea being like Bilbo, they sneak in and steal the dragon's hord and then leave without bothering to kill it.

Initiate Of the Draconic Mysteries
Monk-type class that gets the ability to turn into a dragon at 10th level.

Platinum Knight
The human followers of Bahamut.  Paladin-type class with bonuses to kill evil dragons and 1/2 level spellcasting progression.

Talon Of Tiamat
The human followers of Tiamut, 1/2 progression spellcasting, ability to use 5 different kinds of breath weapons, and a few other odds and ends.

Feats
A lot deal with fighting things a lot bigger than you, a few deal with being friends with dragons (ie bonus to Diplomacy vs dragons and Ride checks with dragons), and a few specifically meant for killing dragons.

Spells
Spells are either dragon-themed or deal with battling dragons.  Some of them let sorcerers treat themselves as having +1 to their caster level , due to them having dragon-blood I suppose.

There is also some Dragoncraft stuff that is about making armor, potions, weapons, and the like from dragon corpses.  There is also some items specifically designed for dragons to use.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 12:40:36 AM by Eagle_Prince »