Author Topic: Is Lord of the Rings Roleplaying game dead?  (Read 2508 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Is Lord of the Rings Roleplaying game dead?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2004, 01:02:49 AM »
those adventures are allready out for download.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2004, 11:25:05 AM »
Decipher is a good example of how not to run a RPG company in the 21st century. Yeah I know they do more than just RPG's , and I know that they are moving shop and all, but... having said that its not like someone cant do a web update from anywhere, and thats the problem... its been forever without any word from them and the only place they've ever talked about releases is in their forums... I get the Game trade magazine and still dont know when they plan to publish stuff. Todays RPG buyer is 10000% more informed than Rpg buyers in D&D's heyday... and personally I decide what I plan to buy months in advance.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2004, 04:44:27 AM »
We need a Mole inside Decipher so we can figure out what's going on with there RPGs.  They're looking for an inhouse Mac techsupport person. Jeffe or SE, you guy could do that, then let us know whats going on
http://www.decipher.com/aboutdecipher/hr/index.html
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2004, 07:25:25 AM »
I don't know if I believe they could match or beat my current salary for an entry level position. I certainly don't think a game company is going to provide more stability than my current place.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2004, 07:46:29 AM »
Psh, and here I was thinking you were a team player SE, dosen't the phrase "Take one for the team!" mean anything to you?  Sure just blame it on job security, or that you have a familiy and lots of mouths to feed!  But ask yourself this, isn't gaming more important?  Isn't it?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2004, 09:09:27 AM »
I'm sorry, I didn't realize, "take one for the team" actually meant "bend over and take one for the team." heheh.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2004, 10:55:22 AM »
and as I am less than pleased with them and their game lines I dont think I could either...
Plus I just got a Mac, havent graduated to techie on it yet....
But mainly it means I would have to move to Tidewater and Norfolk again, and Im not doing that anytime soon. Traffic in DC is bad, Traffic in Norfolk is stupid.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2004, 02:49:31 AM »
Well anyone up for the latest buzz on the LOTR RPG?

Earlier this month an ex-decipher (one of the lead RPG designers) employe posted on the RPG.net boards that Dechipher had been in talks with GW over working together on several products (though no specifics were given as to what those were).  Most people have been thinking that Decipher has been thinking of sublincencing out there lincesnes for RPG lines, so in other words Sub-lienceing LOTR RPG out to GW for design and production.  This would make since, since the two had been in talks for a few months before Decipher desolved there RPG deparment.  And GW has been wanting to get into the RPG market more.

Enter today, where Green Ronin just announced that they have worked out a deal to develop RPGs for GW.  So now that GW has set up a means to get there RPG's made and published will we see Green Ronin with LOTR?  Possibly.  But that would mean Decipher lincencing LOTR to GW who would intern lincence it out to GR.  Seams overly complicated to me.  It this rumor actualy pans out, I'd expect it to be GR designing it with Decipher doing the US publishing and GW getting the Europen rights to the game.  Not a joint deal like some have suggested.

http://www.greenronin.com/press_releases/?id=games_workshop
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 02:51:42 AM by Spriggan »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2004, 09:04:11 AM »
Want some LOTR rpg goodness?  Well Dechipher may be asleep at the wheel but the fans aren't.  Here's alternate rule system for gaming in middle earth.  It's got nothing to do with Dechiper's CODA system and looks pretty good.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2004, 07:14:13 PM »
Heh.  Looks like something my group can try out.  For the past month we have been playing either Hero (aka: Capes & Crusaders), Warhamster (a complete game to be found in an old issue of Dork Tower), or Gear Krieg (two-fisted pulp adventure in a 1930's world infulenced by Robotech), but this looks like it would be worth a try to my Tolkien-hungry crew.  

Oh, from what I have heard, all of Decipher's rpg's are being cut since their rpg arm has basically all been let go.  I don't know how much truth there is in that, so take it with a grain of salt.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly