Author Topic: Games Workshop back into RPG's?  (Read 2526 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Games Workshop back into RPG's?
« on: May 16, 2003, 04:18:28 PM »
Gw has been going into fluff overdrive recently, and one of the more arresting developments is the "Liber Chaotica" series. This is a 4 book set of pure fluff - no rules. It is widely suspected this is a precursor to a fluff book for every race.

Inquisitor is a RPG battle system crying for a RPG non-battle system to be added.

GW has got heavily into a metaplot attitude recently, check the book thread for more info.

GW recently re-aquired the rights to WHFRP.

So, is it just me, or does all this look like they could be going for the RPG market again? A lot of the fluff info contained in both the liber chaotica series and the armageddon book is useless in a battle - why would you need info on flora?

And if GW did make a 40k or WFB RPG again, would anybody be interested?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Games Workshop back into RPG's?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 05:20:09 PM »
Interesting points.  They certainly have the resources to throw behind another rpg venture...numerous magazines, huge web presence, and a built in fan base.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they made a full fledged 40K rpg.

On that note, Inquisitor is the one game that constantly tempts me to break my vow.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 05:29:50 PM »
I cannot play it - nobody to play... but i have all 7 magazines of Exterminatus. Just got 7 this morning - rules for Navigators, a lot of background info on them.

Oh! GW are bringing out a campaign pack for =I=. Very RPG - GM only, player handouts, stuff like that. I might have to get it somehow... just to see how it works etc.

Say what you like about GW, their support of =I= has been exemplary.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 05:31:33 PM »
Must...fight...temptation...must...not...give...into....darkside...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 05:35:12 PM »
Ahaha!

I have found your weakness old man! Tear up your vows! Join us! Together we shall rule the 40k galaxy together!

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 05:38:51 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Inquisitor campaign pack....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....will...dissolving....

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 05:52:30 PM »
Just to complete your damnation... italics mine.

It's finally here! This issue we are pleased to announce that the first Inquisitor: Conspiracies supplement - The Cirian Legacy is now released. Inquisitor Conspiracies (formerly known as Secret Wars) is a series of supplements detailing "adventurescapes" and campaigns. The Cirian Legacy contains seventeen unique scenarios, set over three campaigns that contains a unique twist at the end!

As well as the campaigns the book follows the roleplaying conventions of old (hm? looks like they are certainly remembering their roots here) by having a fully detailed map, player hand-outs and an Appendices section at the back containing profiles, Gamesmastering advice and a explanation as to whats really going on. This is only the first book in what we hope to be an ongoing series.

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 07:35:10 PM »
Okay, Entropy.  I'll break 'The Vow' and become your evil thrall on the following two conditions:

1) I can find a cheap copy of Inquisitor.

2) You start acting a lot more British.  I want to see you start using terms such as these in your posts: bloke, mate, tea and crumpets, pip pip, cheery-o!, swot, bugger, bloody/bleedin', tube, flat, spanner, brolly, smalls, etc,

And I'd like to see you use some more British phrases like, "Nods as good as a wink to a blind horse" and "I don't say but what I hadn't rather . . ."

I'll work on number 1, you work on number 2, and once these conditions are met I'll be an official convert, okay?

:)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 07:35:52 PM by Mr_Pleasington »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 07:43:50 PM »
Oi! If you think im about to start talking like a moronic southerner...

And i already use lots of british phrases :) Spriggan has remarked on it in IM (for some reason me calling McDonalds "Maccy Dees" was of particular note). I spell properly too (we know how to use "u" :P)

And hey! You could get Fell to try his luck with GW... you never know if the Empire of Evil goes in for supplying stuff for reviews. Otherwise, Ebay is a good bet.

Hint : use any imperial guard and marine models you have instead of the 58mm ones - just use cm instead of inches.

And i highly recommend you pick up the eisenhorn trilogy - it is excellent and has a lot of highly useful information for =I=

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 07:49:08 PM »
Ah, c'mon, lets hear some slang!

I can slip back into my small town dialect for fun at any time.

As for =I=, I've have my eye on it since it was released but could never make myself pay $40 for it.  Eeesh!  I also never planned to buy the 54mm minis because I heard that its just as easy to use with 28mm and I have more than enough 28mm that will work fine.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 07:59:41 PM »
I dunno... i think im breaking a british law if i do slang-on-demand.

I think insults are ok... ;)

Take a look at this... Roleplaying in Blighty

TBH, i'm not sure what *is* british slang. Its not slang, its the proper tongue... ;)

But, in case anyone is wondering, i do infact say "och". I don't mean to - its a all purpose frustration sound.
[TV breaks] och!

BMW, the cars, are called "beamers"

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 10:50:29 PM »
BMW, the cars, are called "beamers"

I think that's everywhere in the world.

And stop bustin' on the South, y'all. We're just relaxed, that's all.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2003, 01:37:11 AM »
GW used to send us lots of stuff, mainly because we got them right as new game were comnig out: Inquisitor, Warmaster, and later LotR. We also got a few codexes. We haven't gotten much since, because I feel bad asking them for models.

I do, however, have a soft spot for Inquisitor as an RPG system, and I hope they develop it--I'll be surprised if they don't do something large and impressive with it for their Eye of Terror campaign. I could ask again, but I don't know if Joe Krone is even still the contact guy--I think he builds scenery now.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2003, 03:38:24 AM »
Well, Entropy, I've held up my part of the bargain.  I just got Inquisitor used off ebay for $10 plus S&H.

Don't think I haven't noticed your effort to be more British, but I haven't really seen any use of the terms I mentioned.  

Post in outlandish, over-the-top Britishims for a week and I'll change the text under my avatar to read "Thrall of Entropy the Breaker of Wills"

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2003, 06:43:26 AM »
Oi mates, i just managed to take the spanner to this blokes sanity! Bit of a good show that, eh old chap?

Fellfrosch