Author Topic: Classes?  (Read 3244 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Classes?
« on: May 25, 2004, 05:21:26 AM »
Okay, so I'm starting to have mixed feelings about character classes in RPGs. I can see the freedom that comes with not having them, but yet I remember the enjoyment of playing say a 3rd level Magic-user and knowing that was something completely different than playing an elf or thief.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rants?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Classes?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 05:54:17 AM »
I've never had mixed feelings - I hate them flat out. My first reaction to the class based-nes sof cp2020 was "Can I mix and match?" - the limitation is annoying and arbitrary.

Now, I understand the idea of a template of some form, but using a class just seems and unnecessary and unnatural limitation. Why can't I have a warrior who learnt to cast fireballs? What if I want to be a Paladin who just so happens to be a little corrupt and kleptomaniac, and thus has a good stealing skill? Some systems let you do this, others don't. If I want to play a paladin, I want to annoucne that in my choice and background, not an arbitrary skill set.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 06:00:30 AM »
There are 2 reason JP:

1) Simplicity, most games try not to be overly complicated and haveing to have players design (or even offereing that while still provideing some templates) can add a lot of confuseion and the rules may not work to well.

2) For balence, lets face it players would abuse it too bad.  The only games I've seen that have a workable system to design classes/templates are allwayse simpler games that offer less things for players to be able to do.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 06:21:52 AM »
I will say that classes allow for faster set-up. In fact, they are almost ideal for dungeon crawling. And classes do tend to keep things more balanced.

I think the GM part of me really likes classes because they simplify things. The player part of me detests them because the limit what I want to do.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 06:24:51 AM »
In other words, classes are good for bad roleplayers is what you're saying, because that's sure what it sounds like. :)

I don't have balance problems, because the GM can always say no to a proposed character, and besides storyline importance in the games I enjoy is far more important than butt-kicking statistics.

As for simplicity, I'm all for it, but I tend to find non-class based games simpler with more variety. D&D is (IMO) bogged down with statistics, while CP2020 (It keeps coming up because I'm obsessed at the moment) has a wide variety of different skills. Compare this to, say, FATE, which defines a character simply by skills and aspects. It's not complex (it's FUDGE based) but it does have a massive vaeriety. Or Advanced Fighting Fantasy - It's a simple system, three statistics, and a hero is basically characterised by their skills.  You can still do a whole lot with it though. I can't imagine a character for the setting you couldn't build with it.

I have to mention the window here - diceless roleplaying, and you can do anything with a character you can conceive.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 06:25:23 AM by JamPaladin »

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 06:44:53 AM »
When you find yourself having to build 20-30 NPCs for a couple of sessions, classes make things a lot easier. Otherwise you have to spend the time creating several templates to work with when it would just be easier if templates were already in place.

Also, I find that good players can work both with and without classes. A good player should be albe to take a class and make it their own.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 06:49:46 AM »
I had never thought in terms of creating npcs like that, mostly because my style of GMing is near diceless - If I need to roll for an NPC, I often just make up a number, or based on the roll being high or low do whatever I deem dramnatically interesting.

Yeah, you can make a class your own, but it's harder and more annoying, because you can't do exactly what you want. It's the same reason I like random generation - completely weirded out and original characters.

I'm not saying classes don't have their place - I'm using a class right now and enjoying it as an original character regardless. I simply think that making a class gives an arbitrary restriction, when you could just allow for anything, and say, for example, a standard fighter has these stats with X skill points to spend on other skills.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 06:56:55 AM »
Actually, I rarely use dice to create NPCs. After I figured out how they fit into the game, I ussually just look up a standard class and make them as standard as possible. I will spend some time on their personality, I just want to have their abilities in place in case I need them.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 07:51:27 AM »
I repeat what I said in my essay, that classes are hardly as restricting as JP thinks. You CAN have a fighter who can cast fireballs. Take levels in fighter and in wizard? How hard is that? You can mix and match.

that being said, I was developing a classless system for d20 until M&M came out, which is nearly (not exactly) what I was trying to do. Just move some of the feats and convert some numbers and you have it.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 07:57:52 AM »
After playing GURPs and White Wolf, i far prefer no classes. I just like being able to decide exactly what skills my character has. Said characters usually fall into the paladin archetype - high charisma, melee fighters - but i still prefer making them myself.

Classes are quicker, and its easier to work out where everyone is in terms of power. A lot more balanced than GURPs. But I just plain enjoy making GURPs characters, so classes take the fun out of it :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 07:58:17 AM »
I like Shadowrun's system. It's simple to create a character, and your character doesn't start out as a complete newbie that gets killed by the first orc it meets like in D&D.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 08:09:13 AM »
I like playing complete newbies. I like the challenge low-level/low-powered characters present. I think I just like wondering where they will go instead of having a character who is essentially fully developed before I even start to play.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 08:27:27 AM »
I generally prefer the low powered, the only problem being that my campaigns rarely last long enough for the character to develop, so starting high can sometimes be necessary. That said, the low campaigns tend to be thematically more interesting, like my Ars magica one which involved a newly created covenant.

After all, would LOTR have benn so interesting if it starred Gandalf rather than Frodo?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 09:17:17 AM »
To me the argument about character amounts to a declaration of the style of playing you prefer. Simulationists the descendents of wargamers, are more likely to appreciate classes and codifying, while narritivists (ie storytelling GM's) like a more free form associative style.

I like both styles, but the more exciting for me to play is the Narrativist style because it challenges me to think openly about who I want my character to be and what I want him to become.

Gm'ing narrativism doesnt have to be complicated or take very long.
For mooks you just jot down what they should have and dont go into a ton of detail.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 09:39:37 AM »
see, i still disagree with that attitude. People who think that d20 is inherently restricted haven't really thought about it. Perhaps it is slightly more restrictive than other systems, but there are few restrictions on feats and skills, and judicious selection of multi-class mediates that issue.