Author Topic: RolePlaying Usage Dictionary  (Read 2258 times)

Mister M

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
RolePlaying Usage Dictionary
« on: September 01, 2004, 03:10:12 PM »
i'm writing a "Roleplaying Usage Dictionary" for my ELang 322 class project this fall, and I just wanted some help thinking of terms to define. I've already got a lot (see below), but I'm sure I've overlooked some important ones (basically, anything someone who's never roleplayed would be confused at). Can anyone think of some important, general (ie: not game-specific) terms I've missed and post them below? Thanks.

RPG
NPC
PC
Initiative
AC
HP
XP
Roll (as in “roll inititative,” “roll dex,” etc)
Dungeon crawl
Epic level
Character
Gamemaster
Dungeonmaster
dX (d10, d12 etc)
d20 (system)
D&D
House rule
Munchkin
Powergamer
Rules lawyer
Save (as in saving throw)
Loot
Class
Race
Monster
World (as in setting)
System
Home-brew
LARP
Core rules

And here's two more for my own curiosity. I've only heard one group ever refer to the DMG (Dungeon Master's Guide) as a "Damage" and the PHB (Player's Handbook) as a "Pherbert" (FUR-burt). Is this something unique to their group, or more general that I just haven't heard before?

Thanks in advance.
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: RolePlaying Usage Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 03:22:12 PM »
Yeah, I've never heard those terms, so probably unique.

Let's see, here is a few more

RAW (Rules As Written)
Session
Campaign
encounter
crit/critical hit
critical miss
stats

I guess it also depends how specific or rule-intensive you wanted to get too.  Then you have lots of (kinda-dumb) stuff like CR, DC, etc.

Oh yeah, and you might want to consider if you want to including video games.  Then you also have stuff like CRPG, MMORPG, etc.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 03:23:48 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 03:36:28 PM »
DMG is different from dmg. DMG = Dungeon Master's Guide and dmg = damage and is used as a frequent written abbreviation, but I've never heard it pronounced except as a whole word.

words I'd add though some are probably out of use:

Monty Hall - game with lots of treasure and power building for the players with little corresponding challenge. (after Monty Hall, the host for Let's Make a Deal game show)
Campaign - a series of connected adventures featuring the same set of characters
Min/Max - carefully balancing a character, usually used in a derogatory sense for someone who worries more about numbers than character,
splatbook - source book
template - for quick but customizable character design, primarily used in point-based systems
for that matter, distinguish between "point-based" and "class-based" game systems.
Open Gaming Lisence (distinct from d20, but based on the d20 ruleset)
Mechanics - the rules of the game
balance - relative power and playability of various power sets or classes versus each other
contest/opposed roll - where two PCs, or a PC and an NPC roll to see who gets the better result
difficulty number - target for a die roll
encounter - any meeting between a PC and an NPC or monster
turn/round/segment - mechanics for time measurement
random tables - for determining randomly encounters, treasure, results, etc.

I'm sure I'll think of more. Read around on places like RPGnet and CM, they'll have some terms show up frequently.

I'd also submit that some terms on your list, like Dungeon Master and Epic level are primarily D&D terms and not generic ones, but you may still want to include them.

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 03:54:48 PM »
Yeah, I know that those two are a little specific. This is just a preliminary draft, and I might get rid of them. (Probably put "DM" as a subset of the "Gamemaster" entry, for example).

At least I've got a while to do this and polish it out.
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 04:17:39 PM »
Well, some things that might be D&D specific I think should still be included.  Its sort of the father of tabletop RPGs and a lot of those terms are used by gamers even when they are not playing DnD (Like DM/Dungeon Master... if I am playing a WoD game, I don't say "Storyteller" I would still just say DM as Im sure most people would).
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 08:19:30 PM »
Howzabout:

module
combat monster
grudge monster
contact
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 06:31:57 PM »
Just using the variety of terms that are assigned to the gamemaster alone is quite a lot. I can't remember all I've seen, but Judge could be a subordinate of Gamemaster as well.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 07:22:31 PM »
Gamemaster (GM)- Chaosium (Call Of Cthulhu, Stormbringer), Gurps "Generic Universal RolePlaying System", Star Wars d20, Wheel Of Time d20, d20 Modern, Heroes Unlimited (All Palladium RPGs?)

Dungeonmaster (DM)- Dungeons and Dragons

Storyteller- White Wolf's World Of Darkness (Werewolf, Vampire, Mage, Changeling, Hunter)

Judge- Marvel Superheroes

Narrator- Decipher's LotR RPG

Administrator- Top Secret/S.I.

Director- Angel RPG (Possibly all Eden Studios games), Advanced Fighting Fantasy

Game Lord- Neo Orsus
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 10:46:50 PM by Eagle_Prince »

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 08:31:28 PM »
Director was also used by Advanced Fighting Fantasy.

Neo Orsus uses Game Lord and sounds rather pretentious doing so.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 10:50:07 PM »
"Game Lord"

I wonder if I can put that on my business card.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 10:53:03 PM »
lol, reminds me of those superhero ID cards you used to get in cereal boxes.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 09:09:28 PM »
Anyone mentioned min/max yet?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2004, 02:32:24 AM »
I think SE did.  One thing about Min/Max that I don't think was totally explained is some systems you choose advantages and disadvantages.. which is where the "min" part comes in, choosing advantages to maximize abilities but also disadvantages that are the least debilitating to your character.  Or in more simple words, minimize weaknesses/maximize strengths.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2004, 01:03:38 PM »
no, the min/max has it's origins earlier than that. the 1976 AD&D publication had a lot of numbers, especially involving weapons. Weapons did different damages against different sizes, worked better or worse against certain armors, and had different "Speeds" (worked as adjustments to melee). So just as an example, you chose weapons very carefully when using all those rules. There was also the simple matter of class selection. Rangers were better, at least for levels 1-5, than fighters automatically, just because their hitpoints at lower levels would actually be higher, they got other special abilities, and they fought just as well. Paladins for the same thing except that hit points evened out. Most char gen scenarios let you have some control over score allocation for attributes, as well. Min/Max was never original to point based systems.