Author Topic: I got 1/2 of Gurps 4th ed....  (Read 1239 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
I got 1/2 of Gurps 4th ed....
« on: September 25, 2004, 11:30:45 PM »
And am setting up to review it,... but after a quick skim... I think Im going to hold any review of this product untill I own the second book.

My first impression however is "Vast improvement in the SJG layout dept. Vast. I would be surprised if any of the 3E layout staff was still around to help with this one...
Yes I know that 3e is almost 15 years old, but still... I feel like uttering an expletive of wonder when I see this puppy. Oh and someone finally taught them how to use sidebars."

But until I get the other book you guys wont get too much more. GURPS fans who said they hate SJG for making this book are going to fall in love with GURPS all over again... and new consumers will see it as a nice well thought out game... as long as Stevie doesn't put out a super special secret extended (with Gungans) Gurps 4th edition that is... oh wait thats another product entirely. :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 11:32:11 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: I got 1/2 of Gurps 4th ed....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 09:19:02 AM »
I'm very hesitant. "Better" than the old version does not mean "good" in my book. You're going to have to show me something very innovative to impress me.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 04:25:29 PM »
It was good enough for you to give the old version 4.5 clocks and say you really liked the fact you could do anything with it...

The system, particularly the combat system, is so well thought out that you could realistically have a miniature battle on your table top to represent the most bizarre things. In fact, the one that came to mind was a football game. Every play could be simulated, to the off sides rule to each tackle and interception. Wow. I was impressed with the potential I had before me.

the advantages to the system are impressive. You can play anything, anywhere, any time, with any set of abilities. You'd have to try awfully hard to have two characters who are exactly identical. The versatility and detail are truly impressive.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 04:29:54 PM by ElJeffe »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 04:31:37 PM »
Besides I think that a better quality, more organized and better edited version of GURPS is a draw in its own right.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »
yeah, I've changed my mind since that review. I do like that anything's possible. I don't like that it's mired down so much. I'd give a much lower score if I reviewed it now.

enh. Maybe I'm wrong. Loan it to me and I'll see.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 04:49:30 PM by SaintEhlers »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 06:21:18 PM »
gotta read it first... 576 pages between the two books is a lot to digest...