Author Topic: Happy Things 2008:Generation X [part deux]  (Read 75909 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: Happy Things 2008:Generation X [part deux]
« Reply #330 on: September 11, 2008, 05:32:28 PM »
I love having a piano. I grew up in a music-lesson-free household but I love having my children just wander in and play. My 9 yr old has figured out the Star Wars theme and related music, so that's what we have floating around our house after school gets out.  Once I no longer have toddlers in my home I want to learn to play the thing myself.  It sits there, tempting me all day long,"You can't play me, neener neener." :P

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 11, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »
Yes, you definitely need to make that piano quit mocking you!  Do your kids take lessons?  You could probably learn a lot just by sitting in on the lessons and stealthily experimenting with their books while they're at school.  That is, if your toddlers cooperate and play quietly.  The nice thing about a piano is it's really hard to damage it by playing incorrectly (unlike, say, a violin), so you can experiment all you want.  Also, it's not your fault if it's out of tune (again, unlike a violin).  All you have to do is hit the right notes in the right order and it's bound to sound good.   :)
He ate my horse.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #332 on: September 13, 2008, 02:17:41 AM »
I tried for a while, but my two year old would scream and try to shove me off the bench whenever I got on.  So I've decided a toddler-free household is necessary first.  Its on my list of things to do when my kids are all in school.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 13, 2008, 04:56:23 AM »
Elizabeth will be 8 months old in 2 days. Today Karen was sitting on the floor. A quote from Karen's blog:
Elizabeth crawled over to my knees and started pulling herself up on them a she often does. Then she stuck her bottom in the air with her hands on my knees -- again this is something she does all the time trying to stand up. The amazing thing is that this time, instead of getting frustrated and sitting back down, or complaining till Mama held her hands to help her up, she just did it. She stood up all by herself! She stood there, a little hunched over, balancing, holding on to nothing but the black poodle in her arms, for about ten seconds -- long enough for me to say, "Mom! Look at her! Look at her!" Then she tipped forward into my arms and got showered with praise and kisses. She's been doing pretty well with standing next to things and has figured out how to move her feet to walk along an edge, but I thought it would be another couple of weeks before she'd stand unsupported, and even longer before she'd stand UP unsupported! My sweet little baby is growing up! :) My sweet little baby is growing up. :( It's an amazing thing.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #334 on: September 14, 2008, 01:26:42 AM »
I shouldn't complain about the things I cannot do because of the choices I made to do other, more worthwhile things.  I guess I feel like my youngest, who will be two in a week.  She gathers up all her blankets, her bottle, and then gets really mad she doesn't have a hand left to hold my hand to go down the stairs.  You can't do everything.  The piano will be there for years; my babies, only a little while.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 15, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »
ReaderMom, I like your attitude.  Good for you taking responsibility for your choices and being confident in them!  Someday I hope that you will get to play piano; just as someday I hope to experience the joys of motherhood.  In the meantime, we should each be patient and grateful for the blessings we have.  Thanks for that reminder.

Ookla, Karen, & Elizabeth - congratulations!  All those little milestones are so fun and exciting!
He ate my horse.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 24, 2008, 08:53:54 PM »
I'm going bowling--for free! It's for a co-worker who's leaving. Don't know her all that well. But hey, free bowling and dinner!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 24, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »
I wouldnt care if I knew her or not. For a free night of dinner and bowling I would be friends with her. Enjoy
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 24, 2008, 10:01:28 PM »
You have pretty low standards for friendship, don't you?   :)
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 24, 2008, 10:20:42 PM »
No kidding.  What would you do for dinner and a Sox game?  Ever done any landscaping?
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 24, 2008, 11:06:12 PM »
First of all I don't think I have low friendship standards. You said you don't know her very well. Well I would be her friend until she gave me a reason not to be and free dinner and bowling is a good starting point. Second forget the dinner and lets talk Sox game. This late in the season with the postseason on lock I would suffer the most annoying person imaginable. But thats just me. And I have done a good share of landscaping.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 25, 2008, 01:52:03 AM »
lol. Don't worry, I'm not taking advantage of her. The company picked up the tab. Not just because it was a farewell party for someone who worked at our company for nine years but also to give our two Permissions Depts a chance to mingle now that we're kind of merging. Open bar (I had a couple virgin daiquiris, YUM) and lots of free food plus TWO games of bowling. We all had so much fun. Well, except my boss, who is sort of a sour puss. (sigh) Eh, well. Hope I have a voice tomorrow. Oh, and I sure wish I'd bowled higher than the mid-60s! heh.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 25, 2008, 03:15:23 AM »
Sounds sweet.

scAri

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • ?
« Reply #343 on: October 24, 2008, 10:36:45 PM »
I just wanted to show off my new name. And this thread has been going since before I stopped coming to TWG, crazy!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #344 on: October 24, 2008, 10:39:03 PM »
Scari posted on TWG!  This makes me happy.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."