Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 154160 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #600 on: December 09, 2007, 06:47:20 AM »
Yeah. I killed my alternator belt last Friday. When I left for work Friday morning, the power steering was shot, but everything else was working. Drove around the block and came home and Karen called her dad (who worked for Ford, and thus knows about cars), but he wasn't there so I couldn't find anything out. Decided to drive anyway, since I had no idea it was the alternator belt, nor really what an alternator belt was. After about 17 miles, the car died one system at a time. First the radio, then the RPM gauge, then the lights, then the speedometer. Luckily I was on surface streets, so I wasn't in trouble and could pull over. I called my insurance's roadside assitance, and they said a tow truck would come get me in an hour and take me to the nearest Pep Boys. So while I was waiting, Karen called, and she'd talked to her dad, and he was pretty sure it was the alternator belt. So I asked her to look up where the Pep Boys was, and started the car. The battery had regained some charge, and I made it ALMOST all the way there, stopped in the turn lane half a block from the Pep Boys, and then the tow truck came and took me the rest of the way. It was indeed the alternator belt, and it was fixed in like an hour and a half. Had lunch at some Chinese fast food place while I was waiting, then wandered around looking for a haircut place. (One wanted $18, the other wanted $50. Eeek!) Walked back past the Pep Boys and my car was sitting out front, so even though they hadn't called me yet I went in, and it was indeed done.

Oh yeah, it was raining for the first time in like forever, doubling our rainfall total for the year, but I had brought my umbrella and jacket, so all was good.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 06:49:31 AM by Mokfather »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 10, 2007, 05:18:59 AM »
That makes me think of the time the fan went out on our car. We live in Phoenix area and I was massively pregnant (like 8 months or so) It was September ish and hot (we're talking +105) and I'm driving along when I happen to look down and see the heat is WAY up. I remembered being told that if you have an overheating car turn your heater on and it will blow the hot air into the car.

so there I am big belly, +105 temp, stuck in traffic with my heater blasting in my face.... it got the car to cool down but I've never wanted a cold shower so bad as I did when I got home.

So, if you wanted to know, when your car overheats, turn on your heater! it works, but I also would suggest fixing the problem before you end up like me.  ;)

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #602 on: December 10, 2007, 06:00:11 AM »
the other wanted $50. Eeek!)

:o What makes a haircut worth $50?   :o

(Do they give a discount if you... you know... don't have a whole lot of hair?)
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 10, 2007, 06:19:36 AM »
Ha! I wish...

I have no idea what would make a haircut cost $50.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #604 on: December 10, 2007, 02:13:40 PM »
vanity. Vanity and stupidity. *nod*

Also, "massively pregnant" is an awesome turn of phrase. Almost as awesome as "fiffle"

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 10, 2007, 09:19:42 PM »
Why thank you...

And don't forget Clinton was getting his hair cut for $300. --- I cringe at $12---

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 11, 2007, 10:54:16 PM »
I hate Christmas shopping. I generally dislike shopping general, but Christmas shopping seems to be particularly frustrating.

I'm almost done though. I just need to get something for my big sister and her family. I just can't think what gift to get a couple in their early 40s with young teenagers.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 12, 2007, 03:59:16 AM »
How about a game. Like Settler's of Cataan (we love that one) or Puerto Rico, or Carcason (not sure if that's how it's spelled it's by the same people who make Puerto Rico).  Games are always a good option.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 12, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »
Okay today I have a whopper.... We just registered our truck for the year (that's important, the one year thing) it cost us... are you read?.... $400.  :o

What's up with that! It's not like I live in a very populated city! or state for that matter! I can see that in Phoenix, but there it only cost us $200. We live in Montana now! in a town of less than 10,000.

Our finances took  a big hit this week. Thank goodness for food storage!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #609 on: December 12, 2007, 06:49:21 PM »
Holy...!

I think I've never paid more than $55 for registering

Of course, right now my car is old enough that I just have to tell them I'm still driving it. THey figure that acutally operating the thing is punishment enough for owning it and I don't need to pay registration.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 12, 2007, 11:03:05 PM »
I know. I know. It's nuts, it quite literally took my breath away.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 12, 2007, 11:41:30 PM »
So it happened.

My old supervisor for my job that ended 12 days ago called me with a list of assignments and tasks to take care of.

I can't say that I'm surprised, but I have little intention of doing what she asks. She has other people who can do those things for her now.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 13, 2007, 02:25:08 AM »
Is she expecting you to do them for free? o.o

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 13, 2007, 02:55:40 AM »
It was an awkward conversation. But it felt like she didn't even recognize that I was done with the project. She kind of gave the impression that I was just on vacation for the time being. It kind of bother's me that she would just call and expect me to drop what I was doing (I was just getting materials out to teach my arts and crafts class) to help her out when I'm not employed by her anymore.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 13, 2007, 04:07:49 AM »
That is one of the craziest things I've heard!

Right now, I'm really feeling betrayed by my own boss, and work feels like probation. Or house arrest or something. No, I'm not completely blameless. But when someone starts "revising" history and making claims without proof or working in the trenches himself or even letting me compile the evidence to disprove it, that really SUCKS.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT