Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 146598 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2006, 07:10:14 PM »
Nah, no cartoonish rrr-rrr-rr sounds, fuzzy.... I tried three times then waited four or five min. and tried again. No luck. When the tow truck dude came, he couldn't get it started either. He messed around under the hood and said he though the fuel pump was the culprit. hmm.

Yet, get this, the car shop called and told me they ran a full diagnostic test and found absolutely nothing wrong! Not only that but my car started right up when they tried! What the heck!? ??? They said my fuel filter is a bit dirty but everything checked out--spark plugs, injector, pump, battery. So I got to pay $80 for a "well, just watch it and if it happens again, you can pay $65 for a fuel filter." Criminitley, that's dang frustrating. :-/
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2006, 07:38:28 PM »
A fuel pump doesn't cost that much at an auto store, plus it's fairly easy to install it yourself. You just have to find it.

It really is  much cheaper if you can fix the car yourself. Mechanics charge outrageous prices for simple crap. However, things like alternators and bleeding brakes are things that should be left to the pros.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2006, 10:26:21 PM »
Posted by: Gemm Posted on: Today at 4:38pm
A fuel pump doesn't cost that much at an auto store, plus it's fairly easy to install it yourself. You just have to find it.  

It really is  much cheaper if you can fix the car yourself. Mechanics charge outrageous prices for simple crap. However, things like alternators and bleeding brakes are things that should be left to the pros.  

Depends on the car. If the fuel pump went out in my car, is would cost around $200 at the auto store and I would have to rip out the back seat of the car to be able to replace it.

Posted by: Shrain Posted on: Today at 4:10pm
Nah, no cartoonish rrr-rrr-rr sounds, fuzzy.... I tried three times then waited four or five min. and tried again. No luck. When the tow truck dude came, he couldn't get it started either. He messed around under the hood and said he though the fuel pump was the culprit. hmm.

Yet, get this, the car shop called and told me they ran a full diagnostic test and found absolutely nothing wrong! Not only that but my car started right up when they tried! What the heck!?  They said my fuel filter is a bit dirty but everything checked out--spark plugs, injector, pump, battery. So I got to pay $80 for a "well, just watch it and if it happens again, you can pay $65 for a fuel filter." Criminitley, that's dang frustrating.  

My wild guess would be that your starter motor is going bad, but it could be something as simple as a bad sensor. I also had a similar problem with my car a few month ago and it turned out that my ignition coil died.

Also, $65 for a fuel filter is borderline criminal. I can buy a fuel filter for $10 and it take 5 minutes to install.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2006, 08:32:42 PM »
Ignition coil. Hmm. Well, I guess I will just have to wait and see. It irks me that they couldn't find a thing wrong except *maybe* replace the fuel filter--and charge me a rip off price, apparently for the labor not to mention the part. grrrrr.

So, Lost One, I may just be asking for a how-to set of instructions to change a pesky fuel filter.... :P
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 06, 2006, 12:07:36 AM »
I went home for the long weekend and my souvenir is a cold.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:09:15 AM by Harbinger »
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 06, 2006, 06:35:51 PM »
I've lost all of my folders for A day, which means if I don't find them by tommorrow I'll fail several assignments. :(
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2006, 10:25:54 PM »
What's worse than paying $80 to have your car checked when it won't start even though it starts for the repair guy and then have it *not* start AGAIN, three days later?  

I dunno. But I will probably find out. Soon. >:(
--Spriggan

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 14, 2006, 01:24:51 AM »
I put the white clothes in the washer, washed them and they came out white. I then but the white clothes in the dryer, dried them and they came out green. I hope this teaches my 4-year old not to leave crayons in his pockets that then get hidden in the laundry.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 14, 2006, 02:52:00 AM »
I'm grumpy because John Scalzi, who has NEVER contributed to this site, is in the corner for looking cute in a tiara, while I, Chimera, who am far cuter (with or without said tiara), have never been in the corner.  >:(

Bah ha ha. Who am I kidding? That's great!  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 14, 2006, 09:01:29 AM »
you were in the corner... when you were superfly...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #265 on: September 14, 2006, 09:08:04 AM »
I put the white clothes in the washer, washed them and they came out white. I then but the white clothes in the dryer, dried them and they came out green. I hope this teaches my 4-year old not to leave crayons in his pockets that then get hidden in the laundry.

I would think that it would be more productive, rather, to hope it teaches you to scan all the 4-year old's pockets before running them through the laundry

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 14, 2006, 01:06:32 PM »
Yeah, eBay has some cheap Anti-Foreign Object scanners to keep your laundry crayon free. You should look into it.

Crayons don't trouble me today. Rather, it is the fact that I lost one of the silicon covers for my ipod's in-ear earbuds when the cord got stuck on this guy's backpack as I was getting off the T. The cover just inverted and flew off... somewhere. Dangit!

Oh, and I'm feeling not so good yet I have a looong day today since I have Copyediting from 6-9:45 after work tonight. *sigh*
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 01:08:39 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #267 on: September 14, 2006, 01:18:34 PM »
everyone already owns scanners: they're called eyes and fingers

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 14, 2006, 01:40:03 PM »
*snicker* I can't help it if you thrive on odd word choice. In this case, "scan" conjured up an image of a laundress waving a peculiar device over jeans' pockets and shirt pockets to detect any offending items. No more turning pockets inside out to "scan" them, folks! Actually, it also made me think of Superman using his x-ray vision to see inside pockets. (I bet Martha and Jonathan had him do all his own laundry). Oh, and, come on, you don't "scan" with your fingers.
--Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #269 on: September 14, 2006, 01:59:05 PM »