Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 156119 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #945 on: April 03, 2009, 11:41:40 PM »
Oh, speaking of rain, it rained a ton yesterday. It also hailed. And I very nearly got plastered with the hail. It was cool....I was just leaving work, and walking across the parking lot to my car when I heard the hail start to come down. I'm like "What's that?" and then I saw it coming toward me, smacking the ground. I'm like "Oh, shoot!" And I started to run...It was funny. Kind of...It was also somewhat painful, but...yeah.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 06, 2009, 05:38:47 AM »
Lizbeth fell on a dresser drawer knob and cut open her eyebrow, requiring 5 stitches at 9:00 at night not in reach of an insurance-covered facility.

She slept a lot that night and the stitches aren't bothering her at all since then though, so that's good.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 07, 2009, 11:56:07 PM »
Who's Lizbeth again?  ???
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 08, 2009, 05:21:44 AM »
My 14-month-old daughter.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #949 on: April 08, 2009, 08:28:24 AM »
So this past Monday I had to make my way to the local district courthouse to serve jury duty. Let's just say it was a disaster.  >:(

The case was involving Eminent Domain (for those that don't know what that is, it is where the government can step in and take privately owned land for its own use), and I am quite against this practice for many ideological reasons. Not only that, but according to the judge, the trial would last five to seven business days (yuck). Now there was this whole process of weeding out jurors for various reasons and when it came time for me to protest my reasons, the judge didn't believe me! Apparently no one in my state can be against something  :P.

So I was sent back to the lady who did our "jury indoctrination" for "rescheduling" of my jury duty. I'm not sure how it is in other states, but MA has a policy where, regardless of whether or not you actually get seated for a jury, your obligation is fulfilled for three years.

Since the judge didn't believe me, I have to be ready for another summons in one years time, instead of three. Yeah, it's not too bad, but it still made me grumpy.  :( 

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #950 on: April 08, 2009, 03:17:18 PM »
You should have been critical of the government and included vague impersonal pronouns a lot.  Did cite religious works for your reasons.  That's how you get bumped from a jury. :)
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 08, 2009, 04:46:56 PM »
Acctually if you sound uneducated you WILL be picked for a jury...those with masters and higher won't be so kids go to school!!! And its one year unless your picked in TX then it becomes 3. Family is full of lawyers and they say its harder to influence the educated for both sides so there you have it.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #952 on: April 08, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
That's not necessarily true. Sometimes having an education will get you picked for a jury. It just depends on the trial. For example, my brother was telling me about a trial he watched (he interned at the public defender's office), and there was a lawyer serving on the jury....I can't remember what the trial was, though. And I got seated in January, and the main reason was because I took some criminal justice classes a couple years ago and knew some of the law jargon...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 08, 2009, 06:02:43 PM »
Rumor has it that here in Kansas, one of the Supreme Court justices actually got seated on a jury.  (I'm not sure why, since if that case got appealed, she'd have to recuse herself.)  But I sure would hate to be one of the lawyers arguing that case - or, for that matter, the presiding judge.  I'd definitely want to brush up on the rules of evidence ahead of time.
He ate my horse.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 08, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »
I never said a bachelors won't get you not picked...and even those with higher education are picked if everyone else is by far not qualified my teacher has a masters and she was on a quad homicide case in February
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 08, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »
I think we all agree with your basic point, that lack of education makes you more likely to be chosen.  The thing that makes the lawyer and the judge stories memorable is the fact that they are exceptions to the rule.
He ate my horse.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #956 on: April 10, 2009, 01:28:47 AM »
So, here I was making a birthday dinner for Ari, and I managed to slice through one of my fingers with the cleaver.  Went right through the fingernail.  Fortunately, the wound was fairly superficial (didn't hit bone or cut anything off), so I'm hoping it'll heal alright by itself.  Sure is annoying having this break in my fingernail now, though.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #957 on: April 10, 2009, 01:44:27 AM »
Uh. Ouch!

Kosher Passakh!? ...
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 10, 2009, 02:13:29 AM »
Happy Birthday, Ari!!!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 10, 2009, 06:01:29 PM »
I somehow ended up really far behind in school. o.O  I'm not exactly sure how this happened.  :-\
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。