Author Topic: Column: The Nerdery #3  (Read 1984 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Column: The Nerdery #3
« on: November 30, 2004, 09:52:58 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=914

The idea has more merit to me now than it has in the past, so I suppose you've done your job, Mr. P.

I don't understand the "meta-region" concept though. Could you go into more depth on that here?

Outlaw

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Aaaarrrgh!
    • View Profile
    • The Charlie Brown Show
Re: Column: The Nerdery #3
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 12:18:28 PM »
To understand the concept of meta-regions, it helps to know how modules were distributed at the beginning of the LG campaign.

There were core and regional modules, as Mr. Pleasington pointed out, but there also modules called adaptables, written with a broad focus that the campaign presumed could be applied to every region. The depth of the regions became very apparent when adaptables couldn't be adapted to all of the regions, because of the inclusion of certain things that were just not possible in that area (whether it be the presence of devils/demons, nobility, particular faiths, etc).

A more practical solution was to group the various regions into "meta-regions" based on their Greyhawk geography. Regions that bordered the Empire of Iuz, that bordered the Kingdom of Nyrond, the Sheldomar Valley, the Velverdyva/Baklunish West trade route, Sunndi were all combined into meta-regions so that stories could be created that would be a more practical fit for those locations.

Whereas someone from the Dyvers region can't play Verbobonc modules without going to that region (Illinois or Indiana) and similarly someone from Verbobonc couldn't play a Dyvers event without going there (Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa), both regions are in the same meta-region, and thus a meta-regional event could be played in either region.

Think of it as the training circles from Mask of Zorro. Regional events are very specific, they can only be played in one region. Meta-regionals can be played anywhere in the six regions that compose it. And cores can be played anywhere.
Outlaw

What are you talking about, we are the wrong hands!

Doors and Windows

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 12:24:49 PM »
ok, that makes a lot more sense. I was thinking that meta-regions somehow applied to real-world geography, but they're just clusters of regions in Greyhawk.

Thanks for the help, Outlaw.

Btw, please feel free to introduce yourself to the rest of us.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:33:54 PM »
I bow to you LG-fu.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 09:55:27 PM »
Mr. P, did you happen to pick up on what Living Games happen in Brisbane? Sounds fun, and that Living Spycraft interests me. (I've been thinking of getting the Spycraft RPG and/or card game, since I like what I've heard of the setting.)
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 11:00:47 PM »
I must admit, this article confused me. What is the point? Instead of a campaign tailored to your group, you get modules that are generated for the average group, and the storyline cannot be altered by the players. So essentially, you are getting free modules that slowly update a storyline? Whats the benefit over any other free modules? The fact you can go to cons and play it? You can play any number of games at cons...

???
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 01:43:19 AM »
Jam:  Yeah, there's an LG group that meets at Fast Break Sports twice a month in Nundah and once at St. Lucia somewhere.  Good group of guys.  If they don't run the occastional Living Spycraft game they'll know who does.  I met up with them on the brisgames yahoo group.

Entropy:  That was my initial complaint too.  I was very dismissive of the whole thing until I actually played.  The community makes up for the loss of storyline control.  Sure, I've played in the occasional bad game due to a poor module or a bad DM, but overall I've had a blast with it.  It has a completely different vibe than your average house game.  Give it a shot, you may like it.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 01:58:20 AM »
I got living greyhawk a while ago and decided that the concept was neat, but unworkable in the long run... (at the time there were only the sanctioned RPGA games which GMS were supposed to send in reports about) this seems much better.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Outlaw

• Level 1
  • Aaaarrrgh!
    • View Profile
    • The Charlie Brown Show
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 01:31:11 PM »
I got living greyhawk a while ago and decided that the concept was neat, but unworkable in the long run... (at the time there were only the sanctioned RPGA games which GMS were supposed to send in reports about) this seems much better.

Actually, it's the same thing, just described in a different fashion. There are still only RPGA sanctioned events and events must still be reported.

The vast majority of Living gamers got into the hobby for the same reason: time. We've begun professional careers, families, and so many other things that are (and should be) priorities that the "weekly game" isn't that easy to keep weekly. RPGA events allow for flexibiility and scheduling. You know they'll be 4 hours each adventure and you know that you can run or play one with little amount of prep time ahead of time (DMs should obviously read the module and learn the creatures' special abilities, but you no longer have to worry about statting out monsters, etc). You sacrifice some flexibility and personal attention, but you don't get any of that if you're not playing either.

It's also nice if you move or travel. I'm visiting relatives in Denver this Christmas and have already arranged 8 adventures to play while I'm there. That's 32 hours of gaming in a city I haven't lived in in 5 years! It didn't take much effort either.

I miss the personal attention and impact I had in a home campaign, but I haven't had a non-Living, stable campaign since I graduated college 6 years ago. Also, the ability to schedule events on certain weekends has allowed me to try games like Masque of the Red Death and Spycraft, as well as giving time at home for Orpheus, Demon, Savage Worlds, and HackMaster.

I'm very satisfied with my experience.
Outlaw

Doors and Windows

Outlaw

• Level 1
  • Aaaarrrgh!
    • View Profile
    • The Charlie Brown Show
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 01:32:15 PM »
Ironically, I think The Nerdery#3 is a viable solution to The Nerdery #1. :)
Outlaw

Doors and Windows

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 07:38:24 PM »
Heh. Since I currently play for a good 4 or 5 hours every tuesday and thursday (Cyberpunk 2020 and Conspiracy X if you were wondering) i'm not too worried about making time.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch