Author Topic: Puzzles and Problem-solving  (Read 3831 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzles and Problem-solving
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 08:02:01 AM »
Was the session spiritually damaging?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 08:19:44 AM »
only to the RHBS, though he wasn't the one fighting, more like the child stuck in the middle of it all.

Though that event, a Palladium Fantasy game, got me banned from playing the Aberrent alignment for quite some time.  Though on the plus side the pricipled alignment also got banned.  Never thought a goody-goody, tree hugging, hippy palladin would conflict with my "to save the world you have to destroy lots of things" attitude character.  Also I killed his characters pet cat, which started the conflict (If I'm rememering it right).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 10:59:11 AM »
You're not being entirely fair to our group, 42. Your puzzles tend to be of the 'guess-exactly-what-I'm-thinking-or-you-can't-do-anything' variety. Whether you have a different view of the trap/puzzle or not, when we *do* try something different than the exact answer you have in mind, nothing happens. It might be that there just isn't any other way, but the puzzles you have made are designed like that. There's only one answer. We try for a while, but after the experience of a full two consecutive sessions of nothing but GM mind-reading, it's hard to be patient with the trend. Luckily, you're not making us guess answers to obscure art history questions to progress.  ::)

Eagle Prince sent us in through a gauntlet, and we had a little trouble maintaining our patience, but there was one trap in particular that he had in mind for us to disarm our way through, but we couldn't. It took us a while to figure it out, but we made up a different way, and we made it through fine. There's a big difference there in design and execution.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 11:06:55 AM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 03:02:00 PM »
Sprig, I think it was my character that killed the cat.  If I remember correctly, I was playing my assassin character and you hired me to kill the Paladin's pet cat, and then to avoid his wrath we hid in a Protection from Good circle.  I think Castro had a bad gaming session that time because his cat died and his paladin character died at the hands of an angry farmer and his hoe.  Who knew a farmer could kill a 9th level Paladin with his farming implement....and I guess it helps if the farmer rolls a nat 20 and the paladin botches his parry.  That encounter was so funny.  I think Castro cried himself to sleep that night...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 03:03:02 PM by MoreDew »
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 09:49:48 PM »
ahh, that's right.  I knew I was involved in killing the cat, but couldn't remember how it happened.  I remember hireing your chracter to kill it now, and hideing in a circle of Protection sounds like us too.  We were probaly taunting him endlessly too.  Man that was fun even though it pissed Nicadymas off that we caused he's campaign to fall apart.  I think that event is what caused him to decided that players should never have their characters for very long, and the only way we'd get along is if we were worrying about dieing ever wakeing minuted of gameing.  And it worked, in that we worried more about our GM killing us then other players.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 09:55:49 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 11:48:54 PM »
Here's a dumb trap I made for 2nd edition.  You enter a round room with a very tall ceiling and a metal firepit at the center.  There was magic runes around the walls that went off if you tried to read them.  On the other side was a spiral staircase, which had a magic teleport trap you had to disarm to continue, using thief skills.  Just before the teleport went off and put you further up the staircase, there was a metal handle.  The other way to get past the staircase was to take the metal handle, clean out the firepit and notice two notches that the handle fit in to create an adamantine shield.  If you had the shield, then the teleport trap didn't go off.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2004, 09:08:18 AM »
What did the runes do when they went off? IF the teleport trap sent you up the stairs, isn't that where you want to be anyway?

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 06:05:01 PM »
No, the stairs went down and you wanted to go down, ie if you didn't notice the teleport trap, you'd think the stairs kept going down forever.  The runes were symbol spells, so they did all sorts of things, its a lot like the 3.0 symbol spell (or in 3.5 symbol of pain, symbol of fear, etc).
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.