Author Topic: Puzzles and Problem-solving  (Read 3828 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Puzzles and Problem-solving
« on: November 16, 2004, 05:32:11 AM »
So I want to integrate more puzzles and problem-solving stuff into my campaign sessions for my blood-thirsty combat oriented players.

So what have been some fun puzzles/games that people on the board have done in your RPG groups?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Puzzles and Problem-solving
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 10:02:14 AM »
the hardest thing about problem solving/puzzles is you have to be as clever as an entire pack of role players so that they don't have too easy a time of it.

Anyway, some puzzles I remember from long ago:

a trap where a statue, make it pretty close to indestructable, breathes fire out as it turns in a circle. It activates as you get half way to it through the room, filling it with damaging elemental damage of your choice (don't have to make it fire if, say, you have a party full of protection against fire). (so the party, or lead member of it, is one-quarter across the room, the statue is in the center). It's a large room, and it takes 4 rounds to completely cross the room. Every other round, the statue breathes fire (or whatever else) doing just enough damage to make it dangerous (make saves difficult but not impossible, the point of this exercise is to drain party resources - like spells -  if they don't act quickly, not kill them outright). They can't destroy the statue, they can't get through the room without getting smacked at least twice. But a fast character (like an unarmored barbarian in D&D) can make it to the only safe spot in the room without getting hurt-- the top of the statue. Where is the switch to turn off the mechanism? Inside the mouth of the statue where the fire is coming out. the solution is the fast character enters and races to the statue while everyone else waits behind. He climbs it and waits for it to shoot out fire again. He then reaches in and turns it off.

There's always the handy "chess" puzzle too, where you enter at one end of the board and have to move like the chess piece that would start in that square across the board (diagonally if a bishop, etc) or else some magic trap activates. Whatever will be effective against your group. That might be too easy though. So make it an unexpected variant: it's a checker board. Make some tough golems (immune to crits and more importantly, back stabbing rogue abilities) or something they can't beat two-on-one, and since they can't surround the enemy, they have to get around them. If it's checkers, they don't have to run, they can make an acrobatics or tumble check (or equivelant) to pass through the space, which neutralizes the golems for the remainder of hte time they're in there.

if you can find it, the old module "The Castle of Inverness," which was a tourney module in the early 80s, had a number of good traps in it, if I remember correctly. I have a copy, but it's in storage.

Come to think of it, if they're in a place that's typically of one element. Say, a fire giant stronghold, and they're prepared for whats coming (lots of protection from fire, etc), simply making some traps of a different type, like electricity or cold in this example, would throw them off. It makes sense to me. A fire giant king wants to keep potential rivals in his tribe out of certain areas or coffers, he'd trap it with something that'd hurt fire giants too. And he would be aware that interlopers would be prepared for heat and fire, so he'd have to do something against that too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 10:06:54 AM by SaintEhlers »

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 08:13:49 PM »
Those ideas sound good. I'll have to see if I can get a copy of "The Castle of Inverness" off of ebay or something.

I have decided that I'm limited how much time I give the players to solve a puzzle. Usually bout 15 minutes before I either solve it for them or let the characters take the full wrath of the trap. Unsolved puzzles and traps mean less rewards for the characters.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 09:08:48 PM »
a time limit certainly adds some tension so they try harder.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 12:08:01 PM »
One of my favorite traps is as follows:

You enter a 20' x 20' x 12' room with a green square in the middle and an adamantine (or some other near indestructible substance appropriate for your setting) door on the opposite wall.  As soon as you clear the entranceway a door slams shut behind you.  But nothing happens...

Allow the charater to investigate the room for a while, and with a decent search roll allow them to determine that the room is air tight, and is blocking all teleportation and inter-dimensional travel.  But still nothing happens.

Eventually they will investigate the green square in the middle of the room.  As soon as the character is standing on it a voice rings out, "You have 3 minutes to live!"  (Start a timer for 3 minutes, or just keep track on your own as this will force the player to think quickly)Have the character make a spot check.  If they are successful they will notice that the word "Patience" has appeared on the door opposite from the one they entered.  If they fail, they don't see the "hint" before it disappears.

If the character remains on the square, they will survive.  If they move off of the sqaure they are struck by a disintegrate spell once every round until the remainder of the 3 minutes have elapsed (based on the D&D round being 6 seconds).

Needles to say, my group still has a fear of rooms that are 20' x 2-' x 12'.   ;D

A book that might also offer some ideas is the D&D Book of Challenges.  I usually tweak the stuff in there, but it has proven to be a good source of generating ideas.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 12:09:36 PM by Nicadymus »
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 12:46:03 PM »
So what's the frickin' trick to get out of the room alive?!
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 01:04:26 PM »
I assume the adamantine door opens after the three minutes are up.

However, you're going to have to have some sort of anti-magic to make that work. A good stone-to-mud spell or a disintegrate of their own will rip open a wall.

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
  • Captain Morgan - The Nectar of the Gods...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 04:26:30 PM »
I was the unlucky individual that got this particular "death trap". The trick of course was to stay on the green square for three minutes. Being a young, impatient, and relatively novice gamer at this point, I didn't do the proper thing of using a spot check or whatever the revised edition of it for palladium calls it, so I didn't see the hint "Patience". So I went for the exit to force the door open like any inexperienced player would do and was executed by the gm for not being patient. Had I waited the three minutes or even a few rounds I would have realized that I wasn't getting hurt standing on the green square. Nicadymus at this point in his gm'ing career was notorious to kill off his players for the sheer fun of it. What am I saying, he still likes to try, but being that Nicadymus is still a rules lawyer at heart, we can sometimes keep him at bay with the rules that he threw out at us. The funny thing about this death trap was it was the first one for our group. I believe there were seven total, and I was the first to enter the room so there I went. I think only one or two guys in our group made it through. Sprig was the last one and he made it through, with help of hearing what was happening to the rest of us. That low initiative helps from time to time. But it was the death trap that was thrown at me that we still remember and get jumpy about, because Nicadymus will always change what he has put us through before, and let us relieve the challenge of something familiar but altered somehow. That evil little man with no hair. Ah the good times.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 07:53:22 PM by Captain_Morgan »
"Why make billions when we could make ......... millions?" - Dr. Evil
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/austin_powers/drevil.wav

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 06:29:32 PM »
Hey!  That's a classic TMNT death trap.  Man those were fun, written by Eric Wukick there were about 10 listed in the first TMNT adventure book.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 10:45:06 PM »
Yup classic traps.  Hard to beat.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 12:21:17 AM »
see, I think those are great traps, but my players whine when they are given something that hards.

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 03:12:17 AM »
We whined to when Nicadymus tries something like that, but Nicadymus tells us to shut our freakin yaps and deal. Then he gets this wierd look on his face and an evil glint comes into his eyes and he laughs very very evil like.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 03:45:19 AM »
See when I tell my players to quit whining, they get up and leave, telling me to call them when the encounter is over.

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 04:26:57 AM »
Those wussies! I don't think our group has ever gotten up and left due to a few death traps. We may have tore up our charcter sheets and balled them up as tightly as we could, and then proceed to chuck them at the gm for the sheer fun (and frustration too). But leave, never. 42, you can come gm our group anyday, cause Nicadymus, Rican, Moredew and myself would never leave. Bitch yes, but leave never. We welcome the challenge of a gm trying to kill our group. Ha Ha, you could never destroy us!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 06:10:31 AM »
There was one time people left Capt., thought this was before you started gameing with us.  It was a messy game session that involved about everyone getting mad and haveing our characters gank each other.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.