Author Topic: Dragon Lords of Melnibone  (Read 5517 times)

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Dragon Lords of Melnibone
« on: February 25, 2005, 11:39:27 AM »
So our group has started another new campaign.  It is set in the Young Kingdoms, as created by Micheal Moorcock.

The group is a motely assortment of chaos worshipers.  What follows is a short description of each character, but hopefully the players will post more info on their charachers before I post the first segment of the campaign.

Moredew is playing a half Pan Tangian/Nadskorian cancer mage who worships Narjhan, the lord of beggars.  I will let Moredew give the description of his character, but I will warn you that you shouldn't eat before reading it.

Morgan is playing a Pan Tangian mariner who worships Pyray, the tentacled whisperer of impossible secrets.  He is currently the captain of catamaran; such is the life of one low on the totem pole.

Rican was playing an obese war-priest of Jubilex, a chaos deity of ooze and slime (as taken from D&D), but he didn't last very long.  Now he is playing a swashbuckling Pan Tangian follower of Balo, the Chaos Jester.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Dragon Lords of Melnibone
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 12:33:15 PM »
ahh, elric, I remember abuseing the rules of the old system causeing massive damage to solders and enuichs :)
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

n8sumsion

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 12:54:06 PM »
I had to ban PCs who worshipped Balo from my campaign, because one player took it to such extremes we couldn't get anything done.

Stormbringer is still one of my favorite games of all time. I love the setting. I have Dragon Lords, but haven't had the chance to play it yet. Do they have any supplements for the game? And are they planning on doing any more? Anyone know how well it is doing in terms of sales and such?

Blood and Souls for Arioch...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 01:06:33 PM »
heh, you never saw EUOL play a priest of Balo.  I think he ended up being able to summon him every adventure because of all the points he built up from telling bad punts and killing party members over and over agian.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 02:19:44 PM »
Still need a name for this new guy I have, but to sum up the charater is simple, gambling and women and more gambling (dice games) and jokes of any nature.  I will post the whole store once I remember to type it out.  

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
  • Captain Morgan - The Nectar of the Gods...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 01:20:14 AM »
Gee, imagine a guy named Captain Morgan playing a pan tangian pirate captain. Can I typecast myself or what?
"Why make billions when we could make ......... millions?" - Dr. Evil
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/austin_powers/drevil.wav

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 02:47:35 PM »
It doesn't look like they are going to be doing any additional supplements to DLoM.  I think they have the Corrum books, but I can't remember whether they are for the D20 system or for the D100 system.  MoreDew has them, I think.

Last I checked DLoM was not the biggest seller, which is upsetting because I think that is why they nixed the Lords of Law and Chaos Supplement book they were going to do for it.

It think that the game is pretty good for the most part.  There are a few things that I dislike, mostly to do with the demon summoning and binding rules.  Because there is no such thing as POW in the D20 rules, to bind a demon you have to sacrifice XP (which I don't mind) and an ability point (which I do mind).  This is entirely contrary to the typical D20 rules, and, as normal magic weapons are a not common in the DLoM world, an injustice to the players who can't use the fun little towys.  In addition, the Invoke and Compel Spell is a Sor/Wiz spell only; clerics can't cast it, which I find entirely contrary to the nature of the world.  This is odd as The Theocrat of Pan Tang, a cross class Cleric Fighter, if I remember, has about 5 bound demons.

Another problem that I have is that all of the NPC have astronomically high attributes, that are entirely unattainable by the normal creation rules.  While I understand that the PC's are not the "heros," who appear in the books, it makes it a little daunting for the players when they see the numbers of the NPCs and compare them to their characters.

Other than that I don't have any real complaints.  Mostly just mechanics.  The world is great.  I have about 6 different campaign ideas that would be a blast for the guys to pursue.  We'll just see where the Lords of Chaos take our players.

Laugh like Balo.
Whisper like Pyray.
Slice with your weapons.
Let the Blood Spray.
Praise Chaos!
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 07:29:16 PM »
May whatever god you worship have mercy on our souls with Nicadymus as the GM

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 11:06:40 PM »
Personaly Nicadymas I would just alter the D20 rules to include POW.  Some of the best 3rd party D20 stuff uses their own alternate rules for some things.

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 01:43:11 AM »
What the hell is POW? Why am I always in the dark? Who am I? Ah yess thee drunkeen keepteen.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 03:49:09 AM »
In CoC POW is Power, your magical stat, also works as the stat from which your SAN stat is derived, thus determining how likely you are to fall over, giggle, and then eat your own appendages when you see a monsters.

/me shrugs *
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 10:52:02 AM »
Damnit were back to CoC. NOOOOOO! Thanks Entropy.

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 06:35:46 PM »
What is CoC?

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 07:21:38 PM »
Call of Cathulu

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile