Author Topic: review: the Complete Adventurer  (Read 1520 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: review: the Complete Adventurer
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 03:44:22 PM »
"However, it breaks from specifically dealing with these two classes to address how any class can become more rougish."

We ought to add this to the favourite quotes thread.  "Your D&D character can put on make-up, too!"

Should character classes in D&D be capitalized in an article?

Should "base-classes" remain hyphenated?

You know, Prestige Classes really remind me of FF1.

Okay, got that one proofread.  Took me a bit.  I think I'm going to start proofreading articles a day in advance when I think of it.  No point in letting the public see an unedited article…
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 03:45:49 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 05:33:14 PM »
One of the things I think hurt Complete Divine was it strayed away from the sort of core idea behind the complete series.  Take for example Complete Warrior.  It wasn't supposed to be a book for fighters alone.  It was about fighting for all classes, including spellcasters and even shapeshifters (Nature's Warrior, Warshaper).  Complete Arcane did a slightly better job of trying to include all classes, but not by much.
 Way more than even battle, D&D is about adventuring.  So I think all this coming together (its a book on the main theme of D&D, it keeps true to the idea that its a book for all classes) let it outshine the rest.  In particular the expanded skill are really nice.  The feats that give you synergy bonuses for multiclassing paladins and monks... and not just multiclassing with rogue, which is just a nice example on the effort to be about advenuring for all classes versus just a book for rogues.

I'm hoping that a Complete Psionics will outdo them all.  I'd hate to see the one expansion book for psionics to end up sucking and tank.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 03:59:05 PM »
Should character classes in D&D be capitalized in an article?

Should "base-classes" remain hyphenated?

You know, Prestige Classes really remind me of FF1.

Okay, got that one proofread.  Took me a bit.  I think I'm going to start proofreading articles a day in advance when I think of it.  No point in letting the public see an unedited article

I think that they are capitalized. I've still not done that style guide I've been promising for months. Want to work on it with me JK? I don't think there are strict rules, as long as we're consistent.

I think the hyphen's supposed to go.

As for a day ahead, we had a semi-working system for that. Put a note at the top of everything you have proofread, look at the "recently approved" articles too. Stuff submitted by admins skips over the "waiting" thread and goes straight there.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 06:02:44 PM »
I would love a style guide.

Okay, just updated the article to upper-case all the class mentions I found (which were numerous), and to drop the hyphen.

And what was the semi-working system?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 11:29:39 AM »
But it basically came down to us being too lazy to do anything in the long run, which is our usual excuse.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.