Author Topic: just silly.  (Read 2483 times)

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
just silly.
« on: November 09, 2005, 06:09:33 AM »
i am watching kingdom of heaven nonchalantly (if that is spelled right).  anyway, there is a fight with 2 knights and orlando bloom.  well orlando uses his sword, by grabbing the blade along with the hilt, to take away the dual chain morning star away from the attacking knight.  why can't we do that in d&d?  that is just a cool move, to get a disarm bonus for swords against chain weapons.  anyway, just plain silly question.  We all know d&d is real and movies are fake.
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: just silly.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 06:14:00 AM »
I don't remember that, but it sounds like half-swording.  That is when you hold onto the handle with one hand and the blade with the other.

When two knights in fullplate harness fought each other, if they were using swords it was usually bastard swords and they would halfsword to get powerful stabs and so they could wrestle with their sword (which they called ringen-en-shwarts or something, not sure on the spelling).  It works pretty good, I've done it.  Its also awesome for disarming.  Halfswording would make a good feat for DnD.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 06:16:29 AM »
all your sword talk has made me impressed.  we shall duel at dawn!  i prefer my dwarven axes to your half swording, again no disarm bonuses i guess.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 06:21:44 AM »
Axes were more common than swords.  I think people liked swords more, but axes were easier and cheaper to make so they got used a lot more.  Axes are also kind of sneaky, because the blade sticks out so far from the handle.  So if you fought a swordsman who wasn't used to axes, you could probably win if he didn't pay attention to your extra reach.  He might block your axe, but the blade still sneaks around his sword and into his head.  Or around the corner of a shield to cut off his hand.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 06:24:38 AM »
oh yeah,  sounds like a blast.  count dooku never needed his hands either.  atleast that is what anakin thought, hehe.

If i was to hit you from behind like that would i get sneak attack damage too? maybe fighter/rogue isn't such a bad idea.

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 06:28:10 AM »
me again, now in the movie they are getting trebucheted to death.  very reminiscent of a battle we had in our undead campaign where my awesome, soon to be colossal sized, ghoul took out a legendary trebuchet by sacraficing himself in an explosion to save the city.  Atleast that is what i tell myself to ease the pain of my character dying.  No worries though,  i was tight with death, so i came back to life!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 06:31:26 AM »
Think about it, you still have some of those bombs left, and you have rock throwing feat this time.  Oh yeah, another bonus of that feat is now it doesn't take a full-round action to throw a rock.  If you had Quick Draw and a sack of boulders you could even throw more than one a turn.

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 06:34:01 AM »
must....grapple....djinni....for....more...wishes.

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 06:37:14 AM »
how does throwing damage of a person work? me and BJ were talking about it at work.  does the person being hit take damage as if a projectile hit them, then make a save to not fall down?  and does the person being thrown take the same damage and make a similar save?  If so then i am going to throw everything i see, then BJ can just coup-de-grace the prone enemies.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 06:44:10 AM »
First you have to grapple them.  Then you make another grapple check to throw them.  For every 5 points higher your grapple check is than theirs, you can throw them 10 feet.

They take falling damage depending on how far you throw them.  If you throw them into someone, you have to make an attack roll too.  If the attack roll hits, then the target takes damage from the person as an improvised weapon.  Someone who is like 200lbs does probably 2d6 + Str.  Soft objects (people) only do like half damage, but something sharp (like a crystal golem) does double damage.

Oh yeah, the person you throw would probably be prone.  You land on your feat if you use an ability like Catfall or make a good enough tumble check to negate all the falling damage.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 06:46:14 AM by Eagle_Prince »

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 06:45:40 AM »
gotta buy some rock candy and pop rocks to lure some crystal golems.  

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 10:15:59 AM »
Yes, it sounds like what you are describing is halfswording.  It is easier and more powerful with a bastard sword (which is a tapered longsword), but originated and was common with long- and greatswords, which were better for taking down unarmored opponents.  (The bastard sword was inferior at anything but half-swording).

The time period in which axes were more common than swords was not the same in which half-swording was a general technique - swords became quite ubiquitous during the High Medieval period, and half-swording followed after the universal adoption of full plate, which is closer to the Late Medieval period, I believe.

Döbringer called wrestling during swordfighting simply "rangen".

It is generally assumed (or should be assumed) in any RPG where someone with a longsword is fighting someone in armour that the swordsman is using half-swording techniques.  Plate armour is particularly difficult to pierce, and the advantage of half-swording is that it offers one much more control over the point, making it easier to jab into the weak points at the neck or groin of an opponent.

Were a combat system to be "real", it would be virtually impossible to hurt someone in platemail without using half-swording techniques.  An axeman would not have half a chance against a knight with a longsword in full plate on a dry field - his axe would be virtually useless against the plate.

If you are interested in a more combat-accurate RPG, I recommend Driftwood's The Riddle of Steel.  It has the explicit approval of The Association for Renaissance Martial Arts.

So that's today's history lesson, wot.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 10:16:33 AM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 03:54:05 PM »
who needs the history channel when we got you?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 06:36:25 PM »
You're welcome.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."