Author Topic: Campaign Setting Speculation  (Read 7118 times)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Setting Speculation
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 03:18:21 AM »
Vaj is a girl.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 03:20:52 AM »
Assume all my references above to be gender-neutral then.

That doesn't excuse the tasteless name choice, even if it is gener-appropriate.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 03:22:06 AM »
Define assume.

Besides, I never said anything about her name and your condemnation of it (until just now  ;)).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 03:46:35 AM by OneEyedGreenPerson »

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 04:19:34 AM »
DMG 2 talks a bit about this.  The theory is if you indulge the character quirk then the player will get their fill and stop doing it so much.  So like if you have a rogue who always is stealing from the party, it is most likely because they have very good pick pocket skills and never get to use them.  If you throw in some situation where they finally get to use it (in a nonharmful way to the party), then they would stop stealing from the group.  Or like if there is someone playing an 'outcast' and it is messing up the party, if you throw in some NPC who tries getting that PC involved in stuff, maybe even it an annoying degree.  Then the PC can snub the NPC and will get along better with the party, as he kind of already got his fill of outcast rping from the NPC.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 08:49:22 AM »
I prefer to let my players create characters who are mostly within the campaign boundaries and then just go with the flow. One player used the spirit shaman from Complete Divine in a Eberron game. So i'll just have to put in some spirits and stuff - may not be in the setting, but if it makes the player happy and doesn't slow down the game or interfere with everyone else, whats the problem?

And of course, if you build the game around the players, it helps them feel like they are the centre of the campaign, rather than being the party that doesn't quite fit what the GM is trying to do. Like a rogue character in a game with no traps - he's gonna be desperately bored over it.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2005, 10:03:17 AM »
I agree that if there is a compelling reason not to leave, then of course there will be at least one player who will want to leave.

Even if you blatently state that there is no treasure or experience points to be gained outside of this castle/dungeon/spaceship/small village, there will always be one person who thinks that there might be and wants to check it out.

I agree that it is better to build campaigns around characters. There are some problems I've encountered. The first is the party that has a bunch of cool characters individually, but there is no way to make them work together. "Your vampiric necromancer dragon is really cool, but not likely to travel with Kathy's celestial paladin dragon slayer who eminates an aura that destroys all undead within a mile."

Closely following this is the one player who suddenly loses interest in their own character when they see how similar or cooler another character that is in the group. Nerd Player A: "I can start diplomatic relations. My guy is good at that." Nerd Player B: "No. My guy is twice as good at negotiation as your guy. Why don't you just wait to bash these monsters when they enventually turn evil." Nerd Player C: "Hey that's what my charcter plans to do." Nerd Player A: "Fine, I'll just do nothing (again)."

Then there are the groups where suddenly all the charcters are remarkably similar, just with different names, so they end up competing violently to do all the same stuff. Nerd Player J: "I bash the monster for X-gazilion damage." GM: "The monster is completely inviscerated."' Nerd Players K, L, and M:  "Hey that's what my character was going to do, you jerk."

42 wonders how many Nerdery Collumns could be written about stuff mentioned in this thread.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2005, 10:05:09 AM »

42 wonders how many Nerdery Collumns could be written about stuff mentioned in this thread.

Several.

Assuming that Sprig or myself actually had time to write them.  

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2005, 11:22:35 AM »
Or someone took over for them.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2005, 03:12:58 PM »
Or that.

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2005, 04:37:18 PM »
That doesn't excuse the tasteless name choice, even if it is gener-appropriate.

For the general future reference of all, the nick "Vaj" comes from "Vajrayana" which was a character I started writing six years ago and I've been using the nick on forums ever since. Coincidently (and accidently) it's also a form of Buddhism. Any misinterpretations are completely from your own mind.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 05:05:48 PM by Vaj »
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2005, 08:32:10 PM »
No doubt as my mind is a terrible place.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions, but it is the internet and worse things have been known to happen.

Good thing you didn't jump onto a larger or less wholesome board with that name...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2005, 09:37:31 PM »
I'm missing what makes the nickname so bad.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2005, 10:17:35 PM »
There's nothing wrong with my name! The only reason I know what Mr. P is referring to is because a guy on one of those "less wholesome" boards explained it to me one evening. He was the first of now three to look at it that way. Anyways, if we could please get back to the topic at hand?

So far the only major issue in running a single location campaign seems to be that the players would want to ruin the GM's fun of staying in one place, bringing us to different types of players rather than types of GMs. It would take the correct type of players to make it work as well. The group whose motto is "kill things, take their stuff, gain XP for the sake of XP" ;) no matter what campaign they're in is not going to want to stay in the box. My home group is more of the "solve the problem and if we kill stuff great" type group. Single location campaigns work fine for us as long as there's something for us to do.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2005, 01:50:15 AM »
To defend my honor and explain why others read your nick as a bit crude let me explain two things.

1) In this part of the midwest, in my generation, your nickname is the most common crude  term used to refer to female genetalia.  Even more-so than the movie popularized version which stems from the nickname for cats.

2) People on the internet are crude and I've seen many a forum name that tries to get around decency filters by using lesser-known terms or spellings of crude things.  Thus, its not a huge leap to read your name as I did.  Wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened here.  

But I was wrong and I apologize.  But my mind isn't in the gutter here, anyone who grew up around St. Louis is going to think the same thing when they see your nickname.  It's just part of the unsavory dialect of this region.

And, no, we can't get back on topic.  This is TWG after all.   ;D

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2005, 02:07:08 AM »
And, no, we can't get back on topic.  This is TWG after all.   ;D

Amen to that! :D