Author Topic: Campaign Setting Speculation  (Read 8052 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Campaign Setting Speculation
« on: November 18, 2005, 09:53:14 PM »
So I had an idea today.

What would it be like to play in a campaingn that had a very limited topographic area? No traveling around the entire world, or going to other planes.

Just staying in one place. Like a castle or small town.

I kind of ran a campaign this way, though it was a short lived one. I don't think that it went over too well, largely because I was new to DMing.

Has anyone played in a campaign where the entire course of the campaign remained localized?

What were the pros and cons?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Campaign Setting Speculation
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 01:39:38 AM »
In our Hackmaster campaign we spent a year of actual play time in Little Keep on the Borderlands.  It was fantastic. The module is an update to the classic Keep on the Borderlands and gives the PCs plenty to do.  

The area defined is about 50 square miles, I think, with the Keep itself being the only village.  We could have spent another year there, easy, and still not done everything there was to do.

Keeping local can be marvelously fun as long as there is a lot of variety.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 01:49:33 PM »
Every Vampire game I ever played was focused on a city, usually DC and it was a lot of fun. I also did a Lhankmar game in the past too... and Superhero games are fun in one city. And the best Warhammer game I ever played was set in a small city where the PC's were super concerned with being respectable.

The pluses of localized area are innumerable, it allows PCs to develop contacts, put down roots, invest in the community and become something. Plus their actions can matter more. Say in a D&D game they step in and help a baker who's being jumped by some thugs, well one result could be that the lower classes treat them like royalty, allowing them to eat free, or drink free. Another could be the head of a criminal organization puts them down in the dead book, especially since they were in collusion with the Dukes evil brother to break the support that the Burghers feel for the Duke himself (after all if the Duke cant protect them maybe his brother can). Or maybe the baker is a blowhard and an idiot and the townsfolk dont like him. Maybe he's a greedy jerk who sold the thugs bad bread and he was going to get what was coming to him till your meddling characters got in the way. Maybe now people expect them to stick their noses in where they dont belong.

And thats just the result of one minor fight.
The success of a localized game depends on the preparation you do as a GM and the amount of time you spend developing a supporting cast. Its harder too in some ways, because your players will expect you to be consistant.

This is why you should do a paragraph bio on anyone who's a major player in the area.  I find relationship webs to be really useful for something like this. Take a dozen of so characters you plan to use for a story and note how they feel about each other, and how they relate.

For instance take the baker above

Write down his name on a sheet of paper and draw a line between him and his daughter choose a color to represent an emotion, love, dissapointment, etc...
Now give her a lover, or suitor who he doesnt approve of and one who he does approve of (she's pretty)
Put their names down too.

How does she feel about them, choose more colors and diagram her emotions. If you make the lines arrows you can have one person feel one way and another feel well another.

A quick sheet can create a saga of playing potential.

The baker has a daughter whos very pretty, and she's being courted by two men. One, the son of a farmer on the outskirts of town is well liked by the baker (he has a little money and she stands to gain some land) the Baker loves his daughter, but she's a little annoyed with him. The daughters other suitor is the local Brewers apprentice. She likes him a lot, but her father thinks he's shiftless and lazy. His friends are louts and the father decides to show his disdain by adding filler like ground straw to the bread they buy daily.

When they find out, they decide to teach the Baker a lesson. The PC's turn up right as they start beating him.

So now you have a story, but its easier to hold it together in a small local because you have an idea about how everyone will act. Now you can plan the reactions of the characters around their personal results.

Inserting the PC's into that mix is now really fun.

Now imagine adding an outside influence, a local officail visits with his retinue, an orc raiding party is spotted and the PC's need to try and defend the town. The local priest comes to them to ask their advice about a haunting in the local chapel. Or what if people the PC's care about end up dead for no reason.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:47:31 AM »
the cons,

Ever just been around the same people too much? Its easy for the big powerful PC's to get tired of hanging out with the proles and get a hankering for a real challange, or some treasure. A limited environment offers a lot of roleplaying opportunities, fewer challanges. You have to scale the campaign accordingly. After all how many Bakers do you know with a Belt of Giants strength?

This cuts some of the coolness factor, which can be mitigated slightly by allowing side quests or adventures, Diablo style. If the heros are lords of the town (most likely they start out working for the lord) they may have to go clear out the old road, thats become infested by monsters, or investigate a hidden crypt that a farmer finds while clearing out a new field.  Like I said in the previous post you have to finesse it.

Think of it like the Robin Hood legend. It takes place mainly in Yorkshire Lincoln, Barnsdale and Nottigham with Nottingham exisiting as the defacto county seat. The heros operate out of Sherwood forest a limited geographic area (especially given Britains size) and can have a relationship with a couple of small villages and their enemy the Sheriff. The area is just big enough to do whatever you want, and just small enough that your not changing the world (unless you send them off to the Crusades)

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 02:38:52 AM »
I think you still get "new areas" as you uncover new groups, guilds, secret areas, etc.  The main thing is the PCs really do end up hanging out at their favorite bar, are buddies with some shopkeeper where they buy everything, etc.  Lots of contacts and such.  Anything could get boring if done too long... high level chars, low-level chars, undead chars, evil chars, all rogue chars, new Plane every session, etc.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 03:25:18 AM »
My favorite campaign ever was a single location campaign actually, held in one city (ok, so I left the city once when I got kidnapped but I blame one of the other PCs for that, not the GM) . I think they can work really well if you drive the plot forward with character interaction, intrigue, local events, etc. rather than by having a changing landscape and the goal of the campaign to get cool stuff. It was nice to be able to get to know a single place really well actually. Our was a political intrigue campaign so there was only minimal combat too, which makes it a bit unusual. Of course, with this type of campaign you do run the risk of having a female player fall in love with the bad guy, betraying the rest of the PCs, and taking over the city... ::)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 03:26:58 AM by Vaj »
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 10:56:44 AM »
and whats wrong with that... especially if the bad guy offers dental.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 11:25:41 AM »
So I'm thinking a little smaller, like the entire campaign being in an abbey or a castle or a mansion. Can anyone see that working?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 12:11:55 PM »
For D&D? Sure, it wont be a massively long campaign though. You can make it longer with detail. Oh and read Gormenghast the Fantasy novel by Mervin Peake that takes place in one castle and thats it...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 07:12:04 PM »
Novels are not good inspirations for RPG plots, since in them the characters never decide to do something totally random 'to make the author squirm'.

And I don't think you could pull that off effectively 42. You'd have trouble justifying why so many events take place in such a small area - the same problem that Soap Operas have.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 03:43:36 AM »
So I'm thinking a little smaller, like the entire campaign being in an abbey or a castle or a mansion. Can anyone see that working?

It would be extremely tough for anything more than a few sessions.  Players thrive on exploring and manipulatng the game environment.  A setting that small may not be able to keep their attention for too long.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 04:23:34 AM »
So the answer is no.

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 02:40:22 PM »
I'd say it is possible. However, it'll depend heavily on how good of a GM you are since it would be up to you to keep the plot moving and the players interested. As for justification of why events are occuring in that one small area, you could have the campaign's events a small part of a larger picture, a castle under seige, a monostary in quarantine, etc. The possibilities are there if you can manage to pull it off.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 03:14:45 PM »
ditto and you could kill them all during a huge masque where the decadent turn a blind eye to the suffering of the diseased masses outside the walls. All the time stalked by death... wearing a red mask
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 03:16:01 PM by ElJeffe »

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 05:39:36 PM »
I'd say it is possible. However, it'll depend heavily on how good of a GM you are since it would be up to you to keep the plot moving and the players interested. As for justification of why events are occuring in that one small area, you could have the campaign's events a small part of a larger picture, a castle under seige, a monostary in quarantine, etc. The possibilities are there if you can manage to pull it off.

A castle during a siege could be quite fun  No shortage of adventure there.