Author Topic: Eberron Explorer's Handbook  (Read 1659 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Eberron Explorer's Handbook
« on: January 31, 2006, 12:54:33 PM »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: Eberron Explorer's Handbook
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 02:57:17 AM »
I found the book to seem mostly non-essential.  On the PC side of it, I would probably go magic of eberron, races of eberron, player's guide (assuming I play a lot more non-Eberron games), then core Eberron book 4th (assuming DM has this one already).  If I am doing mostly or only Eberron, then I'd go player's guide, magic, races, core.

As a DM then it would depend on what kind of game you were doing, but in this case core is obviously the most important for actually running an Eberron game, then either Explorers or Five Nations (ie if you are mostly adventuring in Xendrik, then explorers is clearly more useful than 5 Nations.  Sharn is just too specific unless you are spending most of your campaign there.  If the PCs are usually only there during downtime or even just an occational adventure, I wouldn't bother picking it up until I had both Explorers and 5 Nations.  Races might also be worthwhile for the DM if he also does non-Eberron games and might want to include these Races in the world he makes up.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 02:58:51 AM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 02:58:37 AM »
The Eberron line continues to provide book after book of the highest quality.  If only it wasn't d20, I'd run it again in a heartbeat...

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 03:03:28 AM »
Yeah, they are pretty good.  Noticeably better than Forgotten Realms books imo.  I would rate Eberron's world-based material noticeably higher than its rule-based material as well, ie campaign info over a new Eberron feats or classes.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 11:38:55 AM »
I quite like Sharn and 5 Nations, but I don't see them as being quite as helpful as Explorers. Maybe that's just me. And though I admit I have only flipped through it briefly, I really didn't like anything I saw in Magic of Eberron.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 01:44:24 PM »
I hate 'magic compendium' style books. I much prefer systems like Mage, where you just create your own spells off the cuff, rather than a shopping basket of spells you use.

I'm noticing a tendency in the game I run for the players to search through loads of books and pull out crazy ass stuff. Like a feat that lets you substitute a turning attempt to maximise your next healing spell. Sorry, but that's rediculously powerful. Not only do you never use Turn except against undead, even when fighting undead a maximised healing spell is more effective than the Turn attempt. I'm probably going to have to ban outright many of the prestige classes they find...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 03:05:02 PM »
For our current campaign we banned all books other than the core books, all Eberron books, and the Complete series. That's still got a lot of silly stuff in it, but it's easier to control.