Author Topic: D20 Modern Planescape  (Read 1554 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
D20 Modern Planescape
« on: March 19, 2006, 08:43:25 PM »
Some folks at Planewalker are working on a d20 modern Planescape and as a planescape fan I think its cooler than sliced bread, Pumpernicle bread even, loaded high with pastrami, swiss cheese, crispy lettuce thinly slice onion and spicy mustard. MMMM.

I like the idea of Sigil with all the factions and modern tech (future is a bit like B5 so I'd avoid that) Now the Doomguard really have an Arsenal, the Hardheads cruise the streets in patrol cars, and the Xaositechs... do their thing. In my head I see some of the factions acting like the Mafia and some acting like gangs and even some of them just being loose affiliations of berks or "clubs"

In my Planescape Modern the City of Doors is a combination of the wild streets of New York Hong Kong and London, still grey and grimy, but now filled with Gnoll Pimps, Tiefling Fixers and Bariur teamsters. Heck it has its own Vigilanties.

The Lady of Pain is still around, and still just as scary as ever.

Thinking of some of the planes in a modern way would be cool too. What does Asguard look like? Viking Dwarves in Combat armor with Barrett Light fifties?
Has the Blood War become atomic, Heck yeah it has!
Arcadia looks like a 1950's leave it to beaver episode.
And Mechanus is a cyberpunks dream, its totally the internet of the planes now, welcome to the Mechanus Matrix Mr Anderson!

Some thoughts on the Planes in D20 Modern are also on the Wizards site and they're a cool read

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?threadid=178643
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 08:56:57 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: D20 Modern Planescape
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 09:12:17 PM »
I sort of ran a homebrewed campaign like this. I kind of combined D20 Urban Arcana, then took the group plane hopping. Some of the highlights included:
 On Mechanus, adopting a robot (renamed Twizzler) who had framed the group for murder.
 Several planes later, disassembling said robots for parts so they could escape Carceri.
 The undead character taking a swim in the sea of holy water surround Celestia
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 11:04:58 PM »
Now thats a fun quote...

"If you thought hackers were annoying before just imagine hackers with the Magical Laptop with 1337, AweXome, and RoXXoR enchantments."

The intro on Planewalker is good too...

The Faction War was a long time ago, a distant memory for some. At the time, it seemed like the politics of the planes were shaken up in a way unmatched since the Great Upheaval. Looking back though, the Faction War seemed kind of petty compared to what the planes have been going through lately.

The planes are changing. Changing in ways both wondrous and horrific.

Many have been trying to pinpoint when it all started. Some say it all began when the war between the modrons and formians led to the near destruction of Mechanus. Some mention that the complete disappearance of Pandemonium might be the cause. Others point to the mysterious explosion in the Astral Plane that reduced the entire city of Tu'narath to a smoking pile of volcanic glass, leaving the once proud Githyanki race scattered and defeated.

Whatever the cause, differences were subtle at first: A dagger in the gut slowly became a 9mm slug to the kneecap. Libraries full of books were backed-up on data servers. Enchanted rings were supplemented with enchanted tongue and navel piercings.

These changes seemed like a natural progression to the mortal inhabitants, but the ageless outsiders watched in shock as their once familiar homes were rapidly transformed before their very eyes.

The planes are changing. The question is where these changes will lead..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 03:03:55 AM by ElJeffe »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 11:59:44 AM »
I sort of ran a homebrewed campaign like this. I kind of combined D20 Urban Arcana, then took the group plane hopping. Some of the highlights included:
 On Mechanus, adopting a robot (renamed Twizzler) who had framed the group for murder.
 Several planes later, disassembling said robots for parts so they could escape Carceri.
 The undead character taking a swim in the sea of holy water surround Celestia

that sounds awesome by the way.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:22:50 PM »
Yeah, well part of it.  I didn't enjoy falling into an ocean of holy water and dying.  I did like my char I made to replace him though, a sort of cyborg half-zombie gunfighter (based on Gungrave).

Of course I also liked my guy who died, he was a fetch (part ghost) from the early 1900s.  A hippie tried to bring him back to life with occult magic, but botched it so I ended up half-undead with bizzaro powers like astral project my spirit and stuff.  Oh yeah, all the PCs were supposed to be superheroes, don't think that was mentioned.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 12:24:51 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 01:52:39 PM »
Oh yeah, all the PCs were supposed to be superheroes, don't think that was mentioned.

"Suppose to be superheroes" being the key part, they were heroic only part of the time.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 02:26:55 AM »
The war between modrons and formians is a nice tip of the hat, I must say.

Can't say I'm excited about anything else though.