Author Topic: Re: review: Anti-religious Mems in Races of the Dr  (Read 12740 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: review: Anti-religious Mems in Races of the Dr
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2006, 02:38:37 PM »
selling your soul more like it!

Watch it, SE. That wasn't very nice to say. At least *I'm* doing what I set out to do.

Besides, why fight about it, guys? There has to be something else to review.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 02:40:51 PM »
Yes, I know your stupid logic behind it, because I read it. I'm the one who told you it made you sound like a lunatic, remember?

You know what? Forget it. You're fired. No more editor SE, no more mod privileges, just no more.

And Skar, you watch yourself. I'm in a bad mood.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2006, 02:42:09 PM »
I admit that I haven't read the book, but come on. Don't you think that was a little over the top?

Does the article include text quoted from the book itself as evidence, or is it one of those things where you have to read an entire section (of the book) and then look for the common themes running throughout? For example, what exactly gives the impression of a Saul/Paul dichotomy, and what brings to mind that comparison instead of others?
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 02:43:14 PM »
Stacy, that hurts. THat really hurts.

And forget you Fell. You're not going to drive me off, but now you don't have anyone to do your work for you. See if I prod Jeffe to write his articles.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2006, 02:45:02 PM »
Wasn't the google money designated for buying review material, to be sent to the most appropriate reviewer?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2006, 02:45:09 PM »
The worship of Kurtulmak at times is described as satanic rites and at other times buddhist idolatry. It conflates satanism and buddhism, attempting to make both look like anti-intellectual fools.

Does it actually use the terms "buddhist" and "satanism"?
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2006, 02:45:19 PM »
Yeah, like that's a big threat.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2006, 02:48:27 PM »
little examples seem just incidental. and if it were simply that, I probably would have left it alone. But when those examples repeat frequently, and reveal a common theme, you have to stand up and take notice.

The comparison of Saul is quite clear, the crusade against gnomes (degraded sorcery -- which implies dragon descent), the strict lifestyle, the visionary experience from the "good" deity (Bahamut), and then that's where it parts.

It's not just kobolds either. Most of the dragon gods section is seeded with anti-christian and anti-religious ideas, the least of which is trusting in a deity as capricious as any dragon would be.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »
Wow, look what happens when I got get haircuts?

SE, when you asked me to read this the other day I told you there was no way that Fell would let you post it.

I still think firing SE was a little knee-jerk though Fell.  Couldn't we just have a public flogging instead and keep the guy who actually posts articles?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2006, 02:51:29 PM »
Wasn't the google money designated for buying review material, to be sent to the most appropriate reviewer?

Not sure yet, no review materials have been bought with said Google money.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 02:51:55 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2006, 02:52:45 PM »

Does it actually use the terms "buddhist" and "satanism"?

yep.

edit:  sorry, I ment to say SE's article did but the book didn't.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 02:53:40 PM by Spriggan »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2006, 03:01:46 PM »
Im sure Im going to be attacked because Im a friend of Eric, but this is a little out of line don't you think. Both of you have been incredibly personal in your attacks and thats not even a little bit cool. Especially given how much work you two have put into the site.

I mean we ask people to write interesting and different reviews. The question we should be asking is who if anyone this would offend. Id like to think most people here could read a review without freaking out. At least something controversial would spawn some discussion.

So whats the stumbling block? Fell is it a question of just poor research? What is it you dont like? Also why is a fundimentalist approach bad per se? What could Saint do to improve it?

Saint? Is there the chance that something you wrote was offensive? If so, could you tone that down, or barring that support it to such a degree that you dont offend. Attacking Fell over money wont make it better. (Though I do understand your frustration, Im tired of buying books to review with my money, it hurts the quality of my reviews, because Im less likely to buy stuff I wouldnt normally play, heck I miss getting free stuff)

Fell, I hate to weigh in on the topic (E being my friend and all) but I feel like posting parts of an article out of context isnt fair. Also airing private baggage in public isnt a good way to calm anyone down.

E, this may piss you off but your being kind of confrontational, take a deep breath for me buddy and try to relax OK. This doesnt have to be resolved in a mean way.

/me sits back and waits for the attacks
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2006, 03:04:53 PM »
Firing Eric was pretty premature since he seems to be one of the few mods who does post things. He also works his butt off for the site.

If you guys are in a bad mood, get out of each others faces for now.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2006, 03:09:27 PM »
Listen guys.  This has been going on for a while now.  SE has been getting quite crazy in his reviews as of late, and I know he won't be happy about me saying this but do you all know why there hasn't been an article from him in over a month?  It's because Fell hasn't let him post anything due to all this ranting and raving crap.  You should have read the last page #33 that SE wrote about how if Superman, who in SE"s argument is a symbol of Christ, isn't your favorite superhero then you should burn in hell.  That's when Fell axed the article series.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2006, 03:12:51 PM »
It's certainly not due to a lack of research, Jeffe, just grossly misguided research. Paranoid conspiracy websites are simply not a good place to go for reasoned, rational thought, especially if you're trying to prove something as preposterous as this.

There's also a strong element of just plain bad writing:

As mentioned above, I can't help but conclude from this vast array of evidence that Wizards of the Coast is not only anti-Christian, but anti-religious and anti-human. Sure, bow down to your lizard overlords! See if I care! When the great day comes and the saurians are cleansed from the bowels of the Earth, then we'll see who's laughing! Angels, that's who. Also, screw Brian Michael Bendis.

I agree with you, Jeffe, that bringing these quotes out of context is not the ideal situation, but I want to keep as much of it hidden as I can. It's just not worth comprimising the good name of TWG.