Author Topic: Re: review: Anti-religious Mems in Races of the Dr  (Read 12744 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: review: Anti-religious Mems in Races of the Dr
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 01:58:17 PM »
I knew you were going to bring up the google money--you just won't let that go. I told you you're not seeing a penny of it until you clean up your act, and I'm sticking by that. And by "clean up your act," I mean "no more articles that make Jack Chick look sane and reasonable."
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 01:59:55 PM »
No, I think you want to feel validated.

And if people validate Fell instead of you, you'll be offended.

You seem very defensive of your opinion at the moment, as is Fell.

Hence, people have you to choose one or the other which could have some seriously bad ripple effects.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mister M

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 02:13:03 PM »
So this thread has got me curious for independent validation. Since I don't own Races of the Dragon, I had to content myself with looking for either Nazi or Christian imagery in the online art gallery at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20060105a&page=1.

I looked at every image, and I can't find any. E, could you point out which ones have the imagery you're referring to so I can check for myself? Thanks.
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 02:16:49 PM »
some of us don't see much difference there, 42, you're picking at nits. I'm all over being validated. We all know my ego's that big. But if I'm completely unvalidated, then I guess it's not what people want. I don't see how people posting their opinion is a *bad* thing.

anyway, the money, that was never a "condition" on it before. I work harder here than you. I deserve a cut for the traffic my work generates.

Even if we take your derogatory terms as factual instead of just inflamatory, does that matter? The crazy man attracts traffic. That's the point of a web site isn't it?

But here I am expressing a view that you disagree with. You use money over my head to shut me up. Score one for open-minded gamers. (that was sarcasm)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 02:16:53 PM »
The enworld reviews weren't kidding about the art being bad.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 02:19:52 PM »
M, the gallery has slightly different versions of the pictures than actually show up in the book. this one for example, has a lot of changes to the line art. If you look closely, you can even see where they didn't do such a good job cleaning it up. In addition, most of the spellscale faces are revealing when juxtaposed with the text accompanying them.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 02:22:46 PM »
Deleting posts willy nilly is just silly.   ;D  Even for the head editor of the site to do so is a little over the line.  Especially when, from the evidence in Fell's posts, it's because he has something personal against E.  I could understand it if Spriggan was doing it but I don't expect that kind of pig-ignorant behavior from Fell.

I only got a chance to read a couple of paragraphs of that article before killed it and it wasn't nearly as much of a "rant" as he makes it out to be.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 02:26:34 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 02:25:55 PM »
I remain neutral in this. Conflicts of interest and all.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »
selling your soul more like it!

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 02:28:17 PM »
M, the gallery has slightly different versions of the pictures than actually show up in the book.

Would it violate copyright to scan one in and compare it for reference? I'm guessing not since (a) you're not selling it, (b) you're still giving credit, and (c) it's for sort-of academic purposes. (Okay, so "academic" probably doesn't fit, but I don't know what does.)
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 02:29:14 PM »
Yeah.  Let's see some of these pictures.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 02:30:39 PM »
I will do that when I can get to one. I'll try to stop by my in-laws tonight.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 02:31:05 PM »
I wish it was a joke. I've been dealing with this crap for weeks in email and IM, and now I thought that maybe if I brought it to a public forum it would calm him down; obviously it didn't.

Let's look at some of the text in the review:

The next thing to consider is the memes present in the kobold section. Nobody in their right mind could read this without seeing the obvious parallels to the Saul/Paul dichotomy, which is practically point for point up until it all goes sour and starts present Paul as a crazed deceiver and tyrant. In the way they structure Kobold society they argue that Saul was the better half, and that denying the presence of Christ in our lives is the rational choice.

I admit that I haven't read the book, but come on. Don't you think that was a little over the top?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »
Wait.  Why isn't SE getting money?  I got a cut, and I write, like, what?  Three times a year?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 02:38:08 PM »
I don't see what's so crazy about that. They make the kobolds this master race serving "The serpent" (dragons, but often called "serpents"). the entire Day in the life section hints at that, then psychology, kobold life, and culture sections carry it out. It's practically a treatise. Don't even get me started about the Kurtulmak (an anagram for "Kalmuk Rut" -- Kalmuk is an archaic form of "Kalmyk," a region of mongolia under Russian control populated by buddhists. The worship of Kurtulmak at times is described as satanic rites and at other times buddhist idolatry. It conflates satanism and buddhism, attempting to make both look like anti-intellectual fools.