Author Topic: article: DC Heroclix: Elseworlds  (Read 2170 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
article: DC Heroclix: Elseworlds
« on: July 13, 2004, 10:21:22 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=789

Make your own team!

Ok, my problem is I've only played one game, so I don't know the abilities that well. But, some "must have" characters:

We need to get grown up Captain Marvel from Kingdom Come. Perhaps have him gain and lose powers on alternate clix to reflect Luthor's control.

From "The Nail":
Amish Superman. Yeah, you know you like the idea. Someone who has invulnerability or whatever but has soem limit on why he can't attack. Until he's the last one left. (or, to be simpler, until his last couple clicks).

Ma and Pa Kent: Yeah, no powers, but they run a safehouse for superheroes and organize them. So they get leadership and stealth, at least.

The Wonder Woman From "Amazon:" She was just cool in the Victorian England setting. We'd need something to reflect her submissiveness to the world of men.
There's also a cool bad guy who cages her and makes her fight as a gladiator. I'll pull the comics and talk more about it.

Now, I can't rememberthe titles for some of these, I'll have to pull out my comics, but there's a Gangland Batman story. Yeah, we need those characters. I'm sure there's plenty of villains to pick out.

There's also a Civil War era "Steel." Yummy. He doesn't get his armor (so no toughness or impervious or whatever it is) until later clicks. He gets leadership too since he inspires a slave revolt. Again, more potential for bad guys with the slave owners who have some sort of control over the good guys. Outwit? Perplex? I don't know enough about it. I'm just throwing them out. Obviously low pointers, but something you can work with.

How about another Superman story? Jor-El's father comes to earth in the American Revolutionary war era and joins the Brits. Naturally, all the founding fathers are hanged. So, perhaps he just has normal superman powers (as a bad guy). I don't remember what Happens to Jor-El, but he's half human, so his powers are way toned down. The hero of course is Kal-El, the quarter-kryptonian who resists his godlike father. I can't remember how he pulls it off. But he's got to have leaders hip and WAY toned down powers for supes.

I'm sure I've got more. There's Batman-Dracula crossovers that would work. YOu can get a Dracula for a villain and a buffed up Bats out of. I'll dig out my comics.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: article: DC Heroclix: Elseworlds
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 03:38:33 PM »
Hey, I 've got a mexican copy of that revolutionary Superman comic somewhere. That was pretty cool.

There's already a fig for the Shazam! from Kingdom Come, though making a version of him in his Billy Batson form could be interesting--he wouldn't have many powers, but he'd be interesting.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 01:17:18 PM »
had another thought. Two cool Elseworlds titles.

One is "Wings" a Supergirl I've talked about on the forum before. Supergirl is an angel unsure what side she stands on. She acts like a conscience, so maybe she could have some mind control abilities. This same story has a devil guy. same type of powers, but he's evil. Ok, so as a figure, it's not exciting.

Also, there's an "Arabian Nights" style Green Lantern. I never read it, but that sounds kind of cool.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 11:15:51 PM »
That does sound cool, but I'm just a sucker for Green Lantern.

On the subject of Elseworlds, Tage and Mustard and I saw a really wild graphic novel the other day called the Marvel Mangaverse, with all the major Marvel people reimagined as manga characters (Iron Man, predictably, was a giant mecha). It looked really cool and really crazy at the same time. Has anyone read it?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 12:01:48 AM »
On the subject of this Mangaverse thing, I believe I have one. Or at least I do because of the cover art. Which is very manga influenced. But anywho, I purchased the "Spider-Girl" graphic novel the other day. On the basis of "I have to have this, because its just a really cool freaking idea and I love anything Spider-Man-ish." But yeah, so far its pretty cool.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 08:00:39 AM »
I didn't. and I've kind of avoided the Stan Lee re-imagining of the JLA. Instead, I bought a new Elseworlds book. Not even sure what it's about but batman. I'll let you know when I have a chance to read it.