Author Topic: 40K 4th Ed.  (Read 2017 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
40K 4th Ed.
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:42:42 AM »
After debating for a while I picked it up.  Figured it would make decent reading for the flight back to the States.

All I can say is WOW!

Not only are the rules more polished, but they've finally got rules for small skirmishes that don't totally suck.  

Plus the rulebook is absolutely gorgeous.  

Entropy, I assume you've already played with the new rules.  If so, how did it go?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: 40K 4th Ed.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 09:29:56 AM »
ACtually, i've not played any GW game for a couple months. Just not got around to going to the club. I'll be going down this monday, but i'll be playing Fantasy or Mordheim. But there will be at least 6 copies of the new rules so i'll ask around for you :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 01:12:47 AM »
I've seen this in the game store, and it's seen me, and we both pretended not to recognize each other but the feelings were still there--rushing back to the surface unbidden. I left as quickly as I could, trying not to look like I was running out on 40k again, just like last time, afraid to look back and see her lonely and abandoned, leaning against the wall, gathering the angsty dust of the brokenhearted. I don't know if i can go back now, because I'm afraid that if I say anything I will beg her to take me back.

I'm such a sucker for 40k.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 02:31:33 AM »
Fell, that's exactly what happened to me, except I went back for her.

And let me tell you something, since the last time you've seen her she's lost weight, become much more confident, and gotten that dodgy tooth fixed.  She's all she was and more.  After realizing she fixed most of the things I didn't like about her, I was just lucky she was willing to take me back.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 01:24:16 PM »
You realize, of course, that Heroclix will be very jealous if I get back together with 40k. I'd try to just two-time them, but I don't have that kind of money.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 01:27:48 PM »
One girlfriend is expensive. Two, that's asking for poverty

Or, as the Kinks say "Two girls is to many, three's a crowd, and four, you're dead."

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 07:01:46 AM »
Yes, you'll have to two-time Heroclix, but there are ways to get around the cost of 40K.

The new combat patrol (was 40K in 40 minutes) and Kill Team rules allow for smaller, skirmish games to be fought.  Thus, less figs are needed.  You could always trade away some of those unwanted HC...

And Entropy, I am aghast you haven't been playing much GW.  Get to it, I'm couting on you to bring me back playtest reports!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 08:27:13 AM »
Well, a phone call has arranged a 2,000 Dark Elves (me) vs Dwarves (the best player in the club, who is virtually unbeaten). So i'll be removing my chariots on turn one. My chances of getting a 40k game in are somewhat small... but I could arrange something, maybe.

And at the moment I am thinking of using Ebay to get rid of the majority of my models. I'm never going to play 40k Chaos again, nor Warmaster, nor Epic it seems. I'll keep the =I= models though, those are just too nice.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 08:41:18 AM »
First, why abandon 40K and the like?  I've ditched GW before too, but I'm curious as to your motives.

Second, I'm looking to buy cheap Space Marines or possibly build a Thousand Suns army (love the fluff).  Might any of these models you're looking to sell meet such criteria?  If so, maybe we could broker a deal.

Good luck in your WFB game.  Post how it turns out.  I still love reading battle reports.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 09:42:43 AM »
40k Doesn't really have enough strategy. In warhammer it's all about planning ahead and working out the implications and effects of moves. But in 40k it's just about shooting. The unbeatened player said that he used to go to tournaments and win every game just because of his army composition and how he deployed it. Now he wins most warhammer games at tournaments because he knows how to move and how certain moves will affect the battleline. Plus, there are no Dark Elves in 40k. None that I am willing to acknowledge anyway.

I'll probably keep my Tau army, all 1,000pts of it, just because I like the look of the army. And the others, nobody in the club plays them. The players are either young 40k players or older Warhammer players it sometimes seems.

And my marines are all Iron Warriors and Plague Marines. I never got into the Tzeentch side. They are almost all pure traitor marines  now, I got rid of the ultramarines in Iron Warrior colours a while back. I've got a lot of vehicles though - one partially assembled dreaddy, one full assembled dreddy, a converted Nurgle predator, an old style rhino, a VDR predator of death (multimelta turret, plasma cannon sponsons, rawr).

This used to be a brilliant site for battlereports - you could pay some small amount and read lots of battlereports with photos. Unfortunately they seem to have shut down :( Still a couple sample ones up though.

Fellfrosch