Author Topic: Warmachine  (Read 4400 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Warmachine
« on: September 11, 2003, 10:26:28 PM »
Well, I finally picked up this game after months of debating whether to actually try another minis game. See, I absolutely love Privateer Press' Iron Kingdoms as a game setting and I think the books they've put out are some of the best d20 book on the market.  So I finally broke down and bought the rules after lurking on their forum for a long time.

I shouldn't have waited so long.  This game is great.  For months I've heard people rave about this game, nary hearing any dissention, and now I understand why.  It's fast, its brutal, its strategic, and it is fun.  And cheap to boot.  

A lot of the folks mad at GW's gouging have hopped on board and the game has continually grown from its inception last decemberish.  

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and write a review of this one, folks.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Warmachine
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 11:14:59 PM »
Really I didn't like war machine at Origins, I find I like railwars better.

But you shoud do a review of it for TWG...

Oh by the way have you seen the ads for 50 fathoms from pinnacle?

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 02:04:05 AM »
Well, The Great Rail Wars got usurped by Savage Worlds anyway, but that 's beside the point.

I've followed everything about Savage Worlds since the design worlds were posted so I'm pretty plugged into the releases.  I look forward to 50 Fathoms, but it certainly wasn't worth waiting for it to come out to start the game.  I mentioned it in one of the early detail posts...or perhaps in the posts about the new game in the Alternate Realms forum.

Anyhoo,  too bad you didn't like Warmachine.  This is the best mini  game I've encountered since the ill-fated VOR.  Man, I loved VOR.  

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 08:04:18 AM »
Personally, i have decided to go and investigate all the options in historical wargaming. That means DBA folks.

This could get messy.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 09:52:15 PM »
Well folks, I managed to play a few games of Warmachine this weekend and I am blown away.  It just ousted VOR for my favorite miniature game.

Gameplay was quick, brutal, and very strategic.  We just played with what comes in the boxed set and had an absolute blast.  Very deep, exteremly well balanced... I just can't say enough good stuff about this game.

I can't wait for the League to start up here!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 09:56:27 PM »
What? What is this you speak of? I've never heard of this Warmachine.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2003, 10:12:53 PM »
What section is this in? Right, tabletop. Therefore, its a tabletop game, which you have never previously commented on, and as such it is not surprising you have not heard of it. Case closed. Search around on google for them, i used to have the link but lost it.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2003, 10:24:50 PM »
You are very mean. Even for a scottish, you still are a mean person. Maybe its all those fish and chips you've eaten.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 04:22:47 AM »
/me waves a wand and resurrects an old thread

Color me wrong, Warmachine is cool, very cool, I just never liked the Armies I saw.

Until I saw Khador that is. Russki like guys ruled by an Ice Queen (of sorts) with blood red steam mech's that look like they could crush every other mech in the game in their metallic talons  , great coated and fuzzy hatted snipers, and insane infantry with explosive pikes for close combat steam powered infantry suits. And the freaking game is cheap cheap cheap, compared to GW that is.

I just got a unit of Widowmakers and my Khador Battlegroup is on its way... and so is christmas and a birthday...

I may be painting minis untill New Years...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 12:09:56 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=895

I blurbed the review.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 05:47:16 PM »
what faction do you play mr P.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 09:50:58 PM »
oh, I think it bears mentioning that Warmachines miniatures are on the tall side of 30mm scale (as opposed to GW's 28mm scale) The sculpts a great, and have a lot of detail. Units can be bought in packs, or by themselves and they are generally cheaper than GW,... in the end though you will 1/2 as many figures on the board as you would in say a 40 k game, but those figures will be bigger and nicer to look at, with more options when it comes to game play. The bad side is that once you have x number of units there isn't a lot of variety in miniatures. You cant buy specials with points and just say oh yeah, my Ironfangs have flameguns.

Play order bugs me too, and is something I would change to a card draw every turn just to randomize it.

Warmachines coolest miniatures,... well like I said Im partial to the Khador army (the russki's) It was their Widowmaker snipers and Warjacks that did it, ... well and Sorcha the warcaster with her huge scythe.

The Cryx have some really vile undead mini's and the Menoth faction has some cool looking Warjacks, but the main goodguy faction Cygnar looks,... well goofy.

Anyhow I bought a unit of Widowmakers and plan to get a Khador box set soon. (2 heavy warjacks and Sorcha.)

I figure I can play Carl at the very least...
To victory!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 10:39:32 PM »
build two armies and I'll play :)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 11:01:25 PM »
I might, I was also thinking about getting either the Magnus Mercenary battlegroup with a boomhowler and company box set (trolls in kilts with guns) or the Protector of Menoth Battlegroup boxed set with a box of holy zealots.

Your always good with Zealots... :)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 12:22:11 AM »
I submitted my review yesterday...did you get it?

I actually have had several armies.  STarted with Khador and then sold them.  Now I have a large Cryx army with a little Cygnar