Author Topic: Heroclix Ethics and Positioning  (Read 1605 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Heroclix Ethics and Positioning
« on: March 28, 2005, 12:34:11 PM »
Read it here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1018

Two very different points, though they are related in that running away = occupying an unassailable position.

What do you think? Running away is a tried and true tactic in real battle, but does it have any place in a game?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Heroclix Ethics and Positioning
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 08:40:57 AM »
I would do it in a real tourney ie something more compeditive, but I don't see much purpose in it for more lax games.  I would also like to note that this is the second time I've lost first place by this tactic and it makes me feel good that the only way for my oponites can win is by running from me in those cases.  It shows my teams are better built and I played better.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 11:19:26 AM »
Except, you lost.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 12:27:15 PM »
Yeah, it depends on how you define "better built" and "play better."  

Note that in my article I mentioned that in my opinion hit and run isn't a viable strategy to plan on going into a game.  It was only made possible because of mistakes (in my opinion) made by my opponents.  I made the same mistake and lost once, and learned.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 08:35:19 PM »
Except, you lost.

Hah! this comming from the military man, you should know better Skar.  He retreated, I forced his with drawel so while in game tearms I lost in military tearms I won.  That can be just as satisfiying as winning by other means.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 01:20:59 AM »
Read up on Sam Houston and Santa Anna before you call a retreat a loss.

Military victory is about pragmatism.  Often in military situations the win criteria is as simple as "You alive.  Them dead" or "You own the ground, they don't own the ground"  All such things, however, are dictated by situation and are often totally unclear.

In a tournament game there is only one win criteria.  That is victory.  If you translate the sheer and utter pragmatism that is victory in a martial sense to a tournament game setting then Fell's victory is pure.

If you're talking role-playing, obeying the unwritten rules of comic books, then it's a different matter.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch