Author Topic: What I want for TWG  (Read 16006 times)

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: What I want for TWG
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2003, 01:28:07 PM »
While I'm talking about it with a friend, I should mention images in our reviews. There are two difficulties with this: handling them in the site itself, and *getting* the images in the first place. My impression is that not many of our reviewers have the ability to create images themselves. That basically leaves us grabbing existing images from other places, which could lead to a host of problems.

Still, if we want to look "more legit," that's definitely something to keep in mind.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2003, 02:00:08 PM »
I think I can agree with that. And to date, Jeffe (who is currently undergoing internet problems) is doing well, and should have 3 or 4 reviews coming very soon (he's a fast reader, and if there's anything I get that I'm not going to get to quickly and not absolutely gung ho about, I pass to him, he'll get to it quick.  One way to get review content, at least, is to establish something of a basic "contract." Basically, anyone who accepts a free product in behalf of TWG owes a review within 3 weeks (it's longer than I want to make it, but it's more realistic). They also owe another article for content, time of delivery to be agreed upon by both an editor and the recipient. The second article need not be related in any way to the reviewed product (though, obviously, the review must be). The "second" article may also be written BEFORE the product is received. Again, this will be part of the agreement mutually decided on.

As for the "semi-staff," i'm willing to commit myself to at least a page and a half a week. Which is a little shorter than most of my reviews. If I pass that point, so much the better for all of us.

I'd really like to hear more input on what "non-staff" contributers are willing to commit to (if anything).

Pictures: yes. We need to visit that, and we need to find a way to get professional legal advice on it without paying for it (as we are ever cheap), as well as the technical solutions we need. Guess it's time to make good on my promise to ask my brother about it.

As for coding, for a hobby, Tage puts a LOT of work into this site. he needs recognition for that more often. I'm glad he does it, whatever the reason. Thanks, Tage.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2003, 02:15:08 PM »
Well, let's see...I could commit to writing a review for every book I read (that's applicable to TWG.)  It would be a good way for me to get back into the swing of writing regularly (which is a struggle for me.)  I'm not a particularly fast reader, though.  It rarely takes me less than a week and a half to finish a decent-sized book.  And then the time to write the review on top of that.  But I do read a lot.  A conservative estimate would be 1.5 reviews/month.  I could commit to that.  That's not sounding like a lot, I know.  Suggestions?

I'm not a frequent role-palying or computer gamer, so I wouldn't be much good in those departments.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2003, 02:22:47 PM »
I think TWG would benefit from the book reviews.

How about a "suggestions" section? where TWGers suggest books/games/whatever to be read/played/whatever?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2003, 03:16:46 PM »
Do we really need a suggestions section? We're never short of things we want to review, just people and time to review them (and occasionally the product itself). Though a suggestion box for non-review articles could be useful.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 04:26:13 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2003, 08:41:51 PM »
I like where this is going,... we have to show companies that their products are being reviewed. This means telling them about posted reviews, and linking to their websites or maybe amazon.com at the bottom of the review. Why? Because if we start linking the name of TWG to professional, quality work, and show people where they can get games, or movies, or whatever then not only could we gear the site up to make a little money (for upgrades and whatnot) but we can increase our readership and participation.

I'll be honest I came here first because I knew Eric, I stayed because I found that I could link to a dozen or more RPG websites. I also like reviewing.

We should put out a monthly PDF Digest, with art and reviews and articles, so people can print out and read TWG at home, or at work AFK.

Even fiction might be fun....

Set it at 10-20 pages and you've got even more incentive to visit the site.

Just some thoughts.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2003, 09:25:42 PM »
Speaking of free stuff/not free stuff, would there be any chance of getting me a free "reviewable" copy of EA's latest expansion for BF1942? I just played the demo and it was fun. Makes "Road to Rome" seem like a dolls house.

So ya, just let me know.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2003, 11:09:43 PM »
Reviews can be for bad products. I'm talking about having a monthly "recommendations" cycling through the depts. September could be RPG systems, for example. Anyone who wants to can just submit their 5 top recommendations with one or two sentences why. we post it on one page.

Like the "Staff picks" at the video or music store.

each month we do a different dept. When it comes back to the department, you do something else for picks. for example, different categories under RPGs could be systems, expansions, settings, etc. Books could be Fantasy, SF, juvenile, mystery, comics, etc. Movies could have action, drama, classics, comedy, etc. video games could do RPG, puzzle, rtf, fps, etc.  We could also get creative and do different themes. One movie recommendations month could be "Steven Spielberg" or movies using the word "aluminum." In fact, I think I'll coordinate that.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2003, 12:00:31 PM »
Tage posted! *falls over*

Ok. So i am guilty of lack of commitment. I keep a running total of the number of reviews i want to do, but never did. Its around 30ish. Its a problem that has always dogged me. I now, since starting reviewign at TWG, tend to review and develop arguments about anything i am reading/watching/playing at the time. But i just cannot work up the effort to actually type them down.

I have no real interest in which direction TWG goes in. It'll never make a difference to me. But more professional = more people = more annoying forum idiots. Which i hate, which is the reason why TWG is pretty much the only forum i even look at. But more professional = more people = more interesting discussions, more articles and more newbies to slap down. ;)

We need new blood. When i joined, mustard wrote a tabletop article a week. Now, the only tabletoppers active at TWG are me, Mr P and fell, none of whom write reviews for that department. I'm too lazy, dont play and recently quit, Mr P is too busy, Fell doesnt play and so doesnt review. So the problem is this. We need to attract foaming at the mouth tabletoppers to review/write for us. But to attract them, we need to have active tabletop articles. (And most tabletoppers are morons online btw. Check out portents forums).

I could definitely deal with SEs 3 week thing. That would be good. SE, fancy doing that contract with Armageddon 2089 from Mongoose?

At the end of the day, TWG is a fun place to read and chat, we have a solid forum crew now (sounds like a R&B band: "The Forum Crew") and i talk too damn much.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2003, 12:12:06 PM »
Ok, yeah, I've been a slacker with mongoose. I'll tell Fell I'm doing it so we have it on the master list of contacted sites, and once he says he hasn't tried before. I'll send the email. Incidentally, if you have a phone number you can find for them, that'd be great, I feel guilty faxing them using the company resources. Also, email me your address, since they're in the UK, it's probably best just to have them sent straight to you

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2003, 12:14:13 PM »
I'll get those sent in an email soon. You have a work email right?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2003, 12:17:13 PM »
[email protected]
I probably won't be able to call till monday though, and that's IF Fell responds to me by then.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2003, 12:33:42 PM »
oh yeah, its saturday isnt it.

Forgot that.

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2003, 03:39:37 PM »
Unlike a few others in other threads I must respectfully disagree with the notion that TWG should stick with just game reviews and not branch out into other areas. To stick with the old familier would be slow and agonizing suicide.

My reasonining is 3 fold.

1. There are thousands of Review sites availible at the touch of a button, some much more developed and established than TWG, sure TWG makes a good product when it comes to reviews but even RPG.net has other focuses.

2. Originality keeps readership. We arn't the NY times and frankly Im glad of it. People who come to a review site for just a review might never come back. Likewise an all article TWG wont keep packing them in. If we give readers interesting content on a week to week basis and have a little for everyone we improve our credibility and circulation. What could be better.

3. People don't love critics. I've always had the sneaking suspicion that Tom Shales of the Washington post hates movies. He regularly rips apart everything that is laid before him because he thinks its his duty to the public to save them from film that isn't up to some unattainable standard. Thats why there are relatively few books filled with page long film reviews.

When people read a review they want to know two things "Is it any good?" and " How much does it cost?".

Even if staff picks or weekly fiction, or recipies aren't your cup of Tea deciding not to publish them if they are well written would be shortsighted to say the least.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2003, 04:53:53 AM »
I never said we should only stick to reviews.  What I said is we need to stick to game releated content.  Doing other things that have nothing to do with games will hurt us in the long run.  Do what floats your boat, just keep it in theam with what TWG is: A gaming site.

I strongly disaagree with fiction as I've stated before.  Even if it's about gaming.  I don't think it will be a draw since on-line fiction is still a laughing stalk of the net.  And I think SE's talents would be better suited elsewere.  Maybe I'mjust being overly cynical, and I know this will upset some of you, but I see this push for fiction at TWG as way for somepeople to say "Hey I'm a published author" in resumes and publishing persuits.  And I find this very decietful and disingenuous.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 05:06:16 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.