Author Topic: Rumors  (Read 16941 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Rumors
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2003, 02:58:14 PM »
If you refuse to buy Eighth Edition solely because of the card design, go ahead and swear off Magic for the rest of your life...unless they do another redesign in ten more years, but I highly doubt it. The new design is here to stay and, truth be told, is not nearly as bad as we all say it is. These cards (recreated by curious fans with too much time on their hands) show that the new design is cleaner yet surprisingly faithful to Magic's look: http://www.starcitygames.com//ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=discussmagic&Number=6986&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=&vc=1

The most surprising part of all this, Isimir, is that you've only been playing for a few months--you haven't really had the time to get as accustomed to the cards as the rest of us. Why are you reacting more violently to the change?

As for a whelk, I honestly have no idea what it is, assuming there is such a thing. I just like quoting Douglas Adams.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 02:59:17 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2003, 03:00:13 PM »
I just looked it up, and Isimir is right--it's a sea snail of some kind.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2003, 06:58:03 PM »
Well I guess you're right. A whelk wouldn't stand much of a chance in a supernova.

As far as the new card design, remember too that we're not just talking about the Xth editions of Magic. Although they might finish off the Onslaught-Legions-whatever block in the current card format, I wouldn't be surprised if they make the change for that as well...and that's the last possibility I see for old format cards coming out. Unless you plan to forsake the game or any future purchases over it, I'd try to look at the new cards from a different angle.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2003, 01:22:32 PM »
i'll try to put up with it, but if you think about it there are say... 5,000 old cards for me to buy...
no 8th but i'll see what the next large expansion brings

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2003, 04:28:23 PM »
Hey, speaking of the Legions spoiler, is anyone local going to the prerelease? I asked before, but it's a whole lot closer to time now.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2003, 05:51:52 PM »
I'd love to, but it's that whole money thing. If you go, make sure to tell us how it goes.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2003, 04:13:05 PM »
I snagged a bunch of graphic designers here at work and showed them the side-by-side comparison of the new and old cards--they all like the old design better, without exception. Interesting.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2003, 04:59:20 PM »
may i introduce the worst card in history.....

Defiant Elf...

a 1/1 with trample? why?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2003, 05:20:01 PM »
I'd hardly call it the worst card in Magic history, but it's definitely one of the wackiest. Green is the color of growth, after all, so getting it big enough to trample something won't be hard.

The trick is, they don't charge you for the trample--it's a 1/1 for G that has an extra ability tacked on. It might not be as good as a 1/1 for G that has an immediately useful ability (like a Llanowar Elf) but it's still good.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2003, 06:24:53 PM »
Actually, the 1/1 trample elf reminds me a great deal of Tundra Wolves, regarded by many players to be a very strong card. (1/1 first strike for W) Defiant Elf probably isn't *quite* as good as Tundra Wolves since first strike is more useful at low creature strengths than trample is, but it isn't far off, especially since, as Fell pointed out, green doesn't exactly have weenie problems if it doesn't want to.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2003, 09:29:06 AM »
yeah, but to make it worthwhile you absolutely have to include something like Primal Boost

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2003, 12:53:35 PM »
Make the Card 2 is now in process:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/125

The first choice they're giving us is predictably is the color of the card. Green has been removed since the last Make the Card was green, but artifact has been added as a choice, which I'm leaning toward at the moment. Voting begins on Monday. Any thoughts?

Note: if anyone out there feels like talking about Make the Card throughout its course, we should probably move this to another thread.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 01:21:54 PM by Prometheus »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2003, 02:35:38 PM »
I'd like to try white, because I'm fascinated by the reshuffling of color power and white really needs the most help. It's kind of turning into an aggressive, pseudo-red with life gain instead of burn, and I think we'd have a lot of leeway to design new funky mechanics.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2003, 03:10:50 PM »
That sounds reasonable. Artifacts are cool, but white would be fun to work with as well.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2003, 04:26:21 PM »
i'm voting for artifacts because there are so many different things you can do with them