Author Topic: Onslaught  (Read 17531 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Onslaught
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2002, 07:40:25 PM »
A pretty decent rules article about Damage on the Stack and other related items, in case anyone is interested. To me this has long been the trickiest part of the MTG rules, so it was nice to get some clarifications.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/bb50
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2002, 09:54:10 PM »
hehe i'm building a elf/beast desk and i bought a few boosters gess what i got.  A foil Silvos, Rouge Elemental! 8/5 rample regenerating legend. hahahaha.

but here's a question for you, can you have both versions of Kamahl out at once?  sence he's a legend you shouldn't be able to.  But they are different cards so maybe you can.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2002, 01:11:14 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2002, 03:01:40 AM »
Yes. I've seen distinct rules clarifications which state that two legends of the same people can be in play, so long as the full names of the cards don't match. In the case we're looking at, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, and Kamahl, Pit Fighter are totally different legends and a single copy of each can be in play regardless of the other.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2002, 08:53:10 AM »
yeah it's the same with the two versions of Balthor

in other news two of the wirewood savages have had mysterious "accidents" and have been replaced by Greener Pastures and Eldamri, Lord of Leaves

Oh, and, Is there a green tutor?

and, yes, Silvos is amazing
« Last Edit: December 14, 2002, 09:19:24 AM by Lord_of_Me »

Fellfrosch On Vacation

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2002, 03:02:48 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought that draft game was a blast. Onslaught seems like a much better draft set than Odyssey (or maybe we're just better at it). Anyway, I'd like to do it again sometime, but under slightly different rules: you buy three packs, bring them to the game, and then keep what you draft. Three packs is about 8 or 9 bucks, Anybody interested?

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2002, 03:55:54 PM »
Black is the only color that has any strict tutors. There are a few green (or at least greenish) cards that tutor for creatures, Eladamri's Call for instance. (multicolor white/green) A quick search revealed little beyond Pack Hunt and Weird Harvest this side of Urza's Saga that were straight green and had any flexibility to them.

I'd be interested in trying another draft after my financial situation gets a little more secure. (Might happen soon. I'm working hard on it.) Until then, I'm interested in playing some normal games and trading some cards around, if anyone wants to get together to do so.

I'm not sure that keeping the cards you build a deck with is the way to go, though, since people would draft the cards they wanted to keep, rather than what they needed for the draft itself. Maybe (it'd take longer but it'd maintain the structure of the draft better) we could write down what shows up in each pack after opening each one and keep what we bought.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2002, 09:15:42 PM »
Just for fun.

http://personality.blackborder.com/

I got:

Marauder (EAFG)
Enjoyment Aggressive Flexible Game-player  
You are a dangerous person to have anywhere near a Magic game. When you get your deck out, everybody knows they're in for some serious trouble. Some people like nothing better than a long hot soak in the bath - but you bathe nightly in a bloodbath. You prime your deck so you've got every killer blow at your disposal. You go out there to walk or preferably stomp all over your opponents - massacring, maiming and mutilating as you go. If you meet with resistance you want to chop it down. If your opponent comes back at you hard, you love battling it out. That's how games should be played. You're not so keen on people who keep using counterspells. If they can't fight properly with creatures and Lightning Bolts, what are they doing playing Magic anyway?

You love big powerful creatures. You love building decks and trying new things with combinations of cards. Some people call them weird but these wiseguys usually end up with their entrails dripping from the blade of your Serra Angel's sword.

You also like to try things out when you're playing. You'll probably have a go with different decks and colours and you're not averse to experimenting with your strategy during a game. You like to play for fun rather than enter competitions. For sure you enjoy the thrill of winning just the same as anyone else but you get more than enough enjoyment from games with your friends.

You're happy to discuss the twists and turns of the game with your opponent. You're quite interested to hear how things seemed from his point of view - especially if he was staring unhappily into the eyes of your Craw Wurm for most of the game. Since you spend a lot of time trying out different card combinations you're quite a fount of knowledge on the game, and you're happy to share that expertise with your friends.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2002, 07:08:46 AM »
i don't agree with what it said about me :P

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2002, 10:56:30 AM »
Heh. After posting Slugfest Central, I can hardly argue with mine. You aren't even going to tell us what you got Isimir?

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2002, 03:43:14 PM »
i think it was samurai whish said i copied decks of the internet,i am angry because i have never done that. And never will (i have never seen a deck on the net that i have the cards to make anyway)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2002, 08:09:12 PM »
I wouldn't get too offended. It took me a bit to fudge the answers around to get Samurai, but the analysis focuses much more on that you like to compete and win rather than that you get all your ideas off the net. There was only a sentence or two about that anyway.

In your case you could consider it to have said something more along the lines that you haven't taken your green deck apart because it keeps winning. (9-0 was the last I heard. Not a bad record.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2002, 08:12:15 PM by Prometheus »

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2002, 09:02:45 AM »
10 - 2 now, and it lost another played by a friend of mine
« Last Edit: December 16, 2002, 09:03:43 AM by Lord_of_Me »

Shadow_Hawk

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Many that live deserve death !
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2002, 11:04:02 AM »
I can't be bothered to read about how i should go about starting so could someone give a brief summary please  ???
I am the Shadow in the corner.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2002, 11:59:38 AM »
I'm assuming you mean that you don't have any Magic cards yet, but would like to start collecting them to play the game. In that case, I'd actually, (despite my fondness of the Invasion block) recommend you go find a tournament pack from the recent Onslaught expansion. This will give you a fair amount of basic land (you need those to play) and a random assortment of cards from all five colors to begin your collection with. This alone likely won't enable you to build a good deck, but it's my own preferred method of starting out.

Another good option is to get a precon deck. There are fewer cards in them and it is consequently a bit cheaper, but these card packs are built to be able to play right out of the box. The same cards are packaged in them each time, which means you probably won't get any spectacular rares, but they are ready to go without any extra work. There are four for the Onslaught expansion:

Celestial Assault: an aggressive blue and white deck that focuses on harrying your enemy to death. Unique since blue and white aren't usually aggressive colors. One really good rare (Gustcloak Savior), and another rare I can't convince myself to like.

Bait and Switch: a trickster black and blue deck designed to allow you to steal your opponent's creatures. Of the four, it uses the hardest concepts and requires the most careful play style.

Devastation: a fairly straightforward red and green deck that focuses on big creatures...Beasts mostly. I believe Isimir, one of our other forum members started out with one of these, and it has seemed to work well for him as he has developed his collection from there.

Ivory Doom: a black and white deck that focuses on getting good and evil Clerics to work together to destroy their opposition. Its rares are fairly decent, and it wouldn't be a bad way to start out.

One more note for forum discussions...the one thing you'll have to understand to participate well is what the five colors of spells in Magic generally do well, since none of us will stop in the middle of a normal discussion to explain what we mean.

White is composed of the good guys...soldiers, angels, clerics, and lots of protection effects. Good for keeping stuff alive with a few high level attacks.

Blue is very sneaky and for many of us (including me) hard to get a handle on. Blue has lots of ways to prevent your opponents from accomplishing what they want to do and helping you to get things you want to do done. Its strong creatures are usually flyers...birds, air elementals, and such.

Green is big...the forces of natures. They have really huge creatures and ways to get lots of mana to cast them quickly. Its creatures are usually managed easily with nasty tricks and solid defenses, but if the tricks don't work for a little while, green can run over you quick.

Red is full of goblins and fire and volcanos and dragons and stuff. Lots of ways to deal out pain in the form of straight damage, but like green, little in the way of tricks.

Black is death. Zombies and ghosts and rats and crawly things. Black tries to get its enemies to wither to death, and has very effective ways to get rid of big scary green creatures. (and others like it) It can do almost anything you need it to, but often at a high price of your own life points. (If you run out of life you die)

Hope some of this has been useful ShadowHawk.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2002, 09:57:32 AM »
i own devastation, bait and switch and painflow(from judgement) aswell as the starter and 5 boosters. These have given  me a good start for the game i i currently have 5 decks made from these, especially "The big scary elf deck"