Author Topic: Superdeck  (Read 2820 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Superdeck
« on: September 28, 2003, 09:22:35 PM »
So, I've had this idea for a deck for years now, and never thought I could pull it off.  However, after playing my affinity deck the other night against Morag, I realized my old idea might just be viable now.

The idea: Make a deck with no lands.

Affinity creatures+Ornithopter and Welding Jar+the two affinity buffing artifacts (one that gives +1/+0 and the other that gives +0/+1)

Anything else you could think to put in it (excluding the rediculous, like Moxes or a Lotus)?

It wouldn't be the most powerful deck--in fact, it probably wouldn't win very often at all--but it sure would be fun.

(ps.  I'll need to start collecting Ornithopters.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Superdeck
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 01:49:47 AM »
There's a lot of non-land mana producers, like the Myrs and the talismans, but I can't think of any way to get them going short of a pile of moxes. You could use the new Chrome Mox, but it requires that you imprint a colored spell on it, and I doubt your deck will have any of those.

Let's see.... If you can think of a way to discard them, Basking Rootwallas are free. There was also a series of "free" spells with alternate casting cost (stuff like "discard a blue card instead of paying this card's mana cost"). I can't think of anything else of the top of my head, but I'll keep working on it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 02:03:53 AM »
I really liked the affinity deck, even with a bit of land.  I need to trade for Nate's Broodstar.  He should be willing to part with it--he didn't sound like he was going to use it much.

I considered the rootwallas, but they would be tough indeed to discard (except for the 8-card deal, of course.)

There's another 0-casting cost ornithopter-like creature back from one of the old expansions.  I think I have a couple of them.  If I had all the cards I've already mentioned along with those two, I'd be up to 26 cards.  Only fourteen more.  Maybe there will be another affinity artifact creature in the next set.

I really wish they would have put in a rare affinity artifact creature. Something with a rediculous casting cost--like fifteen colorless--that had affinity and was really cool.  

Hey, that leads to another question.  What are the chances of you talking Wizards into sending us a couple of their precon decks to review?

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 10:55:50 AM »
Wizards is usually a bit touchy about making too many 15 cost creatures, especially after printing Scourge, but I could see them doing that. If you manage to find enough affinity cards, you may not even need to generate mana. I'd be amused.  :)

While the Broodstar isn't a bad card in the right deck (I was misusing it earlier) I'd certainly be willing to trade it off for something. It is in the segment cards we were keeping separate for our Sealed environment, though...are we still planning on doing that?

Ornithopthers are only uncommon, and newly available in Mirrodin...shouldn't be all that hard to collect. Mirrodin is also sporting that new Chrome Mox, although the website I was checking is already pricing it at $20, so it wouldn't be a very easy acquisition.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 11:21:37 AM »
EUOL, I have a bunch of spare Ornithopters, I think. As well as one other 0 casting cost creature. I can give them up if you were to send me something yummy (as in fun to look at/play with. I don't know if I need magic cards, there's only one person I play with out here and my huge beat down/life gain/enchantment deck seems to work decent against him... enough to keep it challenging but still keep me winning occassionally.)

Actually, I don't know what I want. Just send me postage and I'll have you do me a favor later, like a FREE signed copy of your book in the future, if you think that's even.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 11:43:46 AM »
I have several 0-cost artifacts, it appears. I have four Lotus Petals I'm not using, (but you said to leave those out). I also have a Jeweled Amulet (useless if you have NO mana sources, as it stores Mana, doesn't generate it), a Tormod's Crypt (you can probably find a way to make removing a graveyard useful), 4 Urza's Baubles (lets you spy and draw), and from my infamous Sliver+ deck, I have 4 Phyrexian Walkers (0/3 artifact, 0-cost creatures). That desk also have 4 of my 5 Ornithopters.

And I thought of what I'd rather have. As many teeny Tiny dice as you can find (5mm). Or else a small 20, black, with red numbering. Again, if that's not something you're likely to find, postage and I'll demand a small favor later.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 11:54:17 PM »
SE:

The lotus Petals would be really cool.  By leaving 'those' out, I was refering to the Black Lotus and original Moxes, all of which go for insane ammounts of money.  I have two of the walkers, but I could sure use two more--as well as three ornithopters.  I'm not sure what the crypt or the others do, but any 0-casting costers would probably work very well--if only to be artifacts to make my affinity guys cost less.  

Let me rifle through dice and RPG stuff and see what I can find to give you.  

Fell:
Hum.  Is there a green 'discard a green card to cast this' card?  If so, rootwallas here I come!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 12:17:50 AM by EUOL »

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 09:16:53 AM »
Nada on the green cards. I had a feeling there wouldn't be, as we would've heard about the Rootwalla combo before now. There are some with alternative costs, but they all involve either removing the card from the game instead of discarding it or giving the opponent life or some other perverse thing.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2003, 09:20:14 AM »
I'll pull 'em back out and write complete descriptions here. I'll also set 'em aside so I don't have to look later. I don't play much later. Been forever since I've had a really huge game of M:tG. Maybe I should start going to the gaming store and encouraging monstrous 100/3 games.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 10:23:30 AM »
As far as affinity cards go, I've got a Broodstar and an Assert Authority I could trade you. A few others as well, but I suspect you have enough Myr Enforcers/Scale of Chiss-Goria, and probably even Somber Hoverguard. How are you going to handle card drawing in this deck? If you start playing most of your cards for 0-2 mana, you'll need to find a way to get more into your hand.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 10:24:07 AM by Prometheus »

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2003, 10:03:08 PM »
For the real deck, I'm going to use those crowns that let you draw an extra card if you start the round with none in your hand.  For 'super-no-lands-uberdeck,' drawing cards won't be a problem, since the deck will pretty much lose all the time anyway.  

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 12:08:32 AM »
Here are teh card descriptions I promised (if really late). They're followed by the number of them I have.

Jeweled Amulet, uncommon (1):
1, T: put a charge counter on Jewled Amulet. Note what type of mana was used to pay this activation cost. Use this ability only if there are no charge counters on Jeweled Amulet.
T: remove the charge counter from Jeweled Amulet to add one mana of the type last used to put a charge counter on Jeweled Amulet to your mana pool. Play this ability as an interrupt.

Lotus Petal, common (4):
T, Sacrifice Lotus Petal: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Play this ability as a mana source.

Tormod's Crypt, uncommon (1):
T: Sacrifice Tormod's Crypt to remove all cards in target player's graveyard from the game.

Urza's Bauble, uncommon (3):
T: Sacrifice Urza's Bauble to choose a card at random from target player's hand; look at that card. Ignore this ability if that player has no cards left in hand. Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.

Ornithopter, uncommon (5):
0/1 Flying artifact creature.

Phyrexian Walker, common (4):
0/3 artifact creature.