Author Topic: Official MTG Multiplayer Rules  (Read 2824 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Official MTG Multiplayer Rules
« on: July 12, 2004, 06:57:00 PM »
A bright day for lovers of Multiplayer Magic.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/220

I looked over the proposed draft of the new rules, and I have some concerns, but even if those concerns aren't ironed out, it's still a really good thing. Hopefully this will mean that we'll be getting a small segment of solid multiplayer cards in each expansion, and Champions isn't too soon to start.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Official MTG Multiplayer Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 10:00:25 PM »
I don't have time to read the whole thing. Is there a "standard" spell range? or does it only apply when specified.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 11:20:46 AM »
Spell Range in the actual rules set is listed in the 600 range, under optional rules. It's only listed as required for Emporer games, (which they defined as having a spell range of 2) and otherwise, they're just trying to specify exactly what it does. Currently, they're saying that spell range affects global affects such as Wrath of God, which I'm not much in favor of, but people on the Message boards are howling about that, and Wizards *did* say they were looking for input.

My specific issue with it other than its affect on global spells is that they incorporated attack range and spell range into the same bucket of rules. This would allow Emperors to be exposed to the full range of threat from both Lieutenants, which pretty much thrashes the whole format, so I think they've got some stuff to work on, but I'm mostly happy just to see that they're trying to make Multiplayer rules go.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 03:42:08 PM »
We already get a small segment of mutliplayer cards in each expansion. Unless you mean an even larger segment.

I personally don't know how I feel about the idea of official multiplayer rules for Magic. Seems like it would only complicate something that works fine as it is.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 03:29:33 PM »
You're right about the small segment of multiplayer cards, but the lack of rules for multiplayer results in some...issues. In team games, for instance, I've always been bothered by the definition of 'opponent' with cards like Animal Magnetism, where you want your teammate to still count as an opponent, and Screeching Buzzard, where you don't want them to be 'opponents'.

Even if we don't get a larger segment of multiplayer cards in each expansion (draft and limited formats may keep the number from increasing) having formalized rules will help them to design better multiplayer cards, designed with the full power of rules designed for them. For example, the current batch of rules is naming teammates 'teammates' and not 'opponents', which will allow the developers to make teammate affecting cards they couldn't do before since the word teammate wouldn't have meant anything in a rules sense.

You're right that in some ways having formalized multiplayer rules might make things more complicated, but on the other hand, you could also argue that nothing is more complicated than needing a rules clarification that there just aren't rules on. Also, if you're concerned about the end product, Wizards is also giving us ample opportunity to assist in giving them feedback on their work in this case.

Incidentally, it will also allow for multiplayer tournaments, but I'm not sure that I'd be overly excited about that if the tournament scene develops in the same direction as two-player tournaments have. An Emporer draft tournament sounds somewhat enticing, though...at least when they said that they had team tournament formats at Prereleases, this will pave the way for actually having them available instead of those fake-out team games they have now.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 03:35:17 PM »
uhm... Emperor draft sounds scary. Way easy to run out of cards just with your lieutenants holding off the enemy.

but yeah, I mean, you can always "house rules" anything you don't like if you're not playing tourney.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 01:03:35 AM »
True, but only to a certain extent. With a group of friends, a particular annoying issue or two can be taken out, but the way the rules land will likely have a big impact on even casual games, especially in more public situations, like a card shop casual game.