Author Topic: Kamigawa  (Read 8761 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Kamigawa
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2004, 04:35:27 PM »
Red using frost is a little bit odd, since a large number of Red's spells are fire based. Red itself isn't a fire magic color (at least not all the time) but a color centered around destructive impulses and a 'I want it now' attitude.

The Frostwielder is part of the carryover of Tim from blue to Red that they started as long ago as Judgment, so mechanically it fits.

It's still a little strange to see Red using Frost, but under Wizard's current vision of the color wheel, there isn't any conflict. If you want a flavor reason for it, you could justify it based on high snowy mountains.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2004, 12:40:37 AM »
Well, I just wanted to be difficult. =P
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2005, 02:33:54 PM »
I've been buying a pack or two every now and then. I cleaned the Reston Target out of them this afternoon by buying one. I need lots of Kami. Because Devouring Rage is a really cool card.

As an additional cost to play Devouring Rage, you may sacrifice any number of Spirits.

Target creature gets +3/+0 until end of turn. For each Spirit sacrificed this way, that creature gets an additional +3/+0 until end of turn.

That for 4R. It's an arcane instant (which means you can slip in other effects too if you have the manna and the right cards).

What's cool about that is the Soulshift ability. I got a Vine Kami which has soulshift 6. I reckon I start put a bunch of Kami out there, sacrifice the cheap ones first, then play the ones with big soulshift numbers later, meaning I get all my spirits back. Since I also have Through the Breach, (put a creature from hand into play with Splice onto Arcane 2RR), for 9 manna I can do a hefty amount of damage, all of it instant so it can be done after blockers are declared and before damage is assigned. put on a lowly 1/1 and sacrificing all the big creatures just to get him through, or else putting it on something with trample, and boom, I win.  It's even better when I instants to recover the spells or duplicate their effect.

Sorry, I sound like a nerd and a tournament goer, it's just never been so obvious to me how a card can be abused if you just have the manna.

Edit: just thinking about that, I realize that I couldn't use the splice to arcane, because it would use a different target, so the converted manna cost of the whole process would be 10 manna, instead of 9. More, obviously, if I was digging in the graveyard and used more than one Through the Breach -- though the future Through the Breaches might possibly be able to use the splice.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2005, 07:13:29 PM »
I think this is why the canonical black graveyard recursion was a little low in Kamigawa. Soulshift appeared frequently in green and a little in white to make up for it. Consider Hana Kami for a build like that, since it can fetch an Arcane spell out of your graveyard for you. Abusing Soulshift isn't really the way I would go for a Spirit deck myself, but it is interesting.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2005, 08:34:48 PM »
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr158

I guess it was only a matter of time...the Prerelease is January 22nd-23rd.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005, 08:58:12 AM »
ok, you know what they've done with that, haven't you? Commited me to buying boxes of boosters, that's what.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2005, 10:50:25 AM »
At least they aren't ninja monkeys. Just think how much worse it could be...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2005, 10:52:41 AM »
maybe in an unglued expansion...

and who's to say they aren't. If you go through the spoilers and find any creatures with an ape or monkey AND a ninja assignment, I may need to find those cards specifically. However, since the main green creatures this time are snakes, that seems unlikely. However, monkeys feature big in Chinese and Japanese astrology, so I'm not writing them off.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2005, 03:46:11 PM »
The Prerelease is on Saturday. I'll be heading up with one or two guys I know through work, but the time is undecided yet.

I'll get a Prerelease article out as well, along with a little bonus material because I've been so lazy in recent times.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2005, 03:53:47 PM »
if you can have it ready for Thursday that would be ideal.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2005, 04:33:56 PM »
I'm so tempted to go. I wonder what I could work out to pay for it....
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2005, 04:42:25 PM »
sell organs

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2005, 04:50:16 PM »
There's actually an organ store down the street from my new house, so I figure they have the local market all wrapped up. I could go back-alley and try to sell them illicitly, but I doubt I could fit an organ under my coat.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2005, 05:02:28 PM »
sure, just use smallones. Like rabbit kidneys or something.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2005, 05:18:55 PM »
I'm not acquainted with that model. Is it pipe or electric?