Author Topic: new ravnica deck challenge  (Read 4530 times)

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
new ravnica deck challenge
« on: October 28, 2005, 03:38:27 AM »
having bought and seen a lot of the ravnica cards.  I want to challenge whoever is up to it to make a deck around "warp world"(i don't know how to link and stuff).  i don't really know how this seemingly worthless card would be played or why.   It does seem like a cool card for multiplayer.  Also as a side note, if you can, try to only use ravnica cards for the deck.
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: new ravnica deck challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 09:13:36 AM »
Sounds like we have a deck building article for Prometheus. Where's he been anyway?

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 04:04:21 AM »
heard prometheus doesn't come on or post anymore now that he is on his own.  That is too bad. I almost made a deck using warp world, but i decided to take them out because it didn't really help me.  
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 09:00:11 PM »
how would you be able to build a deck around warp world? my best guess would be a deck with only the little mana accelerators (Llanowar elves and whatnot), huge creatures and lands. So when you warp world none of the cards revealed will be wasted, and if you dont draw it you just kill them with big creatures, but still, if they just have more things in play or wind up luckier they'll win anyway, and it wouldn't be as good as the same deck with green land searching spells instead of red and warp world.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know what the card does, here:

Warp World
5RRR
sorcery
Each player shuffles all permanents he or she owns into his or her library, then reveals that many cards from the top of his or her library. Each player puts all artifact, creature, and land cards revealed this way into play, then puts all enchantment cards revealed this way into play, then puts all cards revealed this way that weren't put into play on the bottom of his or her library in any order.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 10:49:40 PM by Lightning_Eater »

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 07:33:57 PM »
It's not like I've been a consistent site attendee for years anyway, but that's beside the point.

Warp World is a reset button, but more complicated in style than staples we've seen for years like Wrath of God. Warp World presents many more deckbuilding restrictions than Wrath or Obliterate do, as you need to be prepared for what happens after it goes off, and it's cost is pretty beefy. Additionally, Warp World isn't in the best color for building permanent counts. Red/Green would be one way to go, building up large numbers of tokens so that a late-game Warp World would allow you to put most of your deck into play.

I think the Boros guild gives us a more elegant solution, however. Consider the following deck fragment:

x4 Warp World
x4 Flame-Kin Zealot
x4 Loxodon Gatekeeper

The rest of the deck would consist of an aggressive Boros strategy that moderates itself by focusing on putting creatures out and keeping its permanents in play rather than by taking red-ish risks for short-term damage gains. If the aggressive creature rush fails, most Boros decks run dry and have to hope for a finishing burn. Warp World would help the deck have a late-game finish...or at least a chance for one.

By the time you hit the 8-mana threshhold for Warp World, you'll want enough permanents in play to have a solid chance of finding at least one Flame-Kin Zealot and at least one Loxodon Gatekeeper from the Warp World reset effect.

Since the Loxodon Gatekeeper comes into play simultaneously with your opponent's creatures, those permanents would come into play tapped. (check this with a local rules judge, which I am not) The Flame-Kin Zealot would strengthen your army and provide all of them haste, allowing for a game-ending alpha strike.

Drawing cards is the main concern in the deck, since you're lacking green, blue, and black. There aren't many solutions in Ravnica: City of Guilds, so extending out to other blocks for some basic card drawing may prove valuable. You could also stay pure to Boros by using the guild lands (the ones that tap for RW) which don't help draw cards or develop your mana curve more quickly, but do give you a better mana per card draw ratio and help ensure that you won't be stuck waiting too long for that 8th land. (Running 4 of them in any 60 card deck is probably a mistake, however.)

One counterintuitive way to increase your chances of finding the combo would be to increase your sorcery/instant count (not something normally desired in a Warp World deck) and use up your sorceries and instants in order to reduce the number of cards split between your library and the in-play zone. That might not work, but it would be one thing to try. Playing a number of Sunforgers and using them to pull the selected instants out of your deck would be a variant form of card drawing that would, as noted above, slim down the deck and increase your chances of pulling off the Loxodon Gatekeeper combo with Warp World.

Note: One thing I missed while writing the post above is that the Flame-Kin Zealot need not be found during the Warp World effect. It can be played from your hand after your other permanents hit the table. The Loxodon Gatekeeper, conversely does need to be found when Warp World goes off in order to make the timing work right. Keep a Flame-Kin in your hand, and play Loxodon Gatekeepers, so that Warp World will take them back into the library. They'll bog down opponent's defensive efforts anyway.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:14:45 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Maveric78f

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 09:24:03 AM »
There is a really better deck with warp world than the "aggro" one. Actually, I don't even understand what's the point of putting warp world instead of lightning helix.

The first thing I've done with that crap-like card was to put it in my sell-list hoping some noob would want it.

The second thing was to try some recursive warp world strategy with 4 hunted phantasms and anarchists so that I grow fast in number of permanents I own and I would finish with all my library on the table attacking with my phatasms boosted with flame-kin zealot. That's the combo solution. But it's so bad against counterspells and cranial...

And finally µI've found a competitive deck with warp world : the control option with 4 annex 4 confiscate and 4 dream leash. All these enchantements help controlling the game untilI find a warp world when I take control of all the permanents of the opponent. Note that the opponent can't use mana before you take control of them. I don't give you my list because I'm trying to protect it. But the main idea is here and you need a very good knowledge of the rules to play that deck.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 04:06:12 PM »
Sounds like an interesting idea. If you're using Red/Blue in there, hopefully the upcoming Izzet guild release will help your deck out. It sounds like you're intending your deck for tournament play?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 04:07:02 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 05:20:22 PM »
I would want to try a Warp World deck with landcyclers. They give you land, which you'll need to cast Warp World; they pull land out of your deck, making sure that you pull lots of creatures when Warp World is cast; and they're all huge, so all the creatures you get will be nice and big. You're essentially playing tons and tons of land for most of the game and then replacing them all with giant creatures for an alpha strike.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Maveric78f

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 03:46:32 AM »
I don't know yet if I'm going to play it in tournament. Without the izzet guild, the only thing missing is the signet according to me. But it's missing very strongly. Even if I don't play black, I went to play the dimir signet to fill this missing.

My tests showed me that I can beat big blue games (because they have very few permanents and they have so much to counter : all my control premanents + warp world). I can beat also very aggro decks (boros deck wins).
Most of the decks are using turbo mana in order to cast huge and often legendary creatures. I have absolutely no problem against these kind of deck.

Actually with no side, I beat almost all the metagame (except maga.deck) but after side a "leave no trace" is awful for me. So I would say that the future of this deck is depending on that.