Author Topic: Rise of Nations  (Read 1292 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Rise of Nations
« on: October 08, 2003, 01:48:27 PM »
A friend of mine lent me this game, and it's taken over my life...or at least my sleeping patterns. I never liked Age of Empires, but this one is so much more exciting and interesting and strategic--the city idea is the best thing to happen to RTS games since Blizzard. Every night I have to forcibly stop myself from playing "just one more game," and sometimes even that doesn't work. Last night I was up until 3 in the morning (which is why I didn't post an article until 10:30.

If devastating addiction is the sign of a truly great game, Rise of Nations is about as good as it gets.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Nations
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 02:53:42 PM »
In that case, I need to stay very, very far away from that game.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 03:20:45 PM »
Knights of the old republic is doing that to me. The whole party and space ship thing is wonderful, the combat is fun and the game is just... high quality. Only problem is that its taken me about 45 hours to get this far, i guess, and i've still got another world to do before the big boss showdown. And then i need to play it through again in order to do the dark side (though it makes little difference to the force powers, since i use almost all the dark side powers anyway it just costs more) which i would have to do for a review to be meaningful.

It hurts to play this game, for all the right reasons.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 04:11:47 PM »
Yeah, I'm really excited about that one. It has Game of the Year written all over it, and I hope the PC version is as good.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 10:06:01 AM »
I'm not even really sure why, but when I looked through a gaming magazine and saw all the new Star Wars games coming out, that one was my pick too. Stupid Xbox. At least that one is scheduled to escape console-land, unlike a sadly growing list of potentially quality games.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster